To Build a MMORPG / Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Stonebrunt

Golden Knight of the Realm

A place to discuss and organize an international group of FoH community volunteers to build games and to eventually create and manage a MMORPG. Posts in this thread should be identified in the upper left hand corner by one of the following numbers:

0. Organizational questions, processes, and other items that do not neatly fit into any other category.

1. People ... Introductions, interests, career development goals, etc. Who are you? Why do you want to participate? What skills do you hope to improve during your tenure? Consider posts made in this thread might be read by future employers and team members. Take credit for any work done here and add it to your portfolio!

2. Systems ... Framework selection (Amazon Lumberyard, Unity?) ... Lua, Ruby, or both? GraphQL API? CentOS backend? Which cloud provider? Sphinx and Read the Docs? Narrative tools? Who is going to build and watch the servers and the network? GitHub! Game analytics? Open source!

3. Technical ... Who is going to code and maintain the game clients? GitHub! How do we support multiple languages? How are the process pipelines going to be maintained?

4. Design ... Eventually a MMORPG after successfully building a few smaller projects. No Tolkien based high fantasy, no mmo emulators, no mmofps, ...

5. Content ... Narrative, art, audio, i.e. the foundations of the game!

6. Security ... Because people are ... people.

X. References ...
Books, blogs, podcasts, youtube videos, etc.

Start a
1. People post below if you are interested!

Edit: Added a Reference category

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can tell you're new. Not by the fact you joined the forum yesterday, or the post count, etc. But by the fact that you havent seen this same conversation a million f'n times already. We even have threads listed within the last two pages highlighting the FoH Broz MMO.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
1. People.
I want to point and laugh, while feeling nostalgic.

• 2Worf

Stonebrunt

I have a heavy background in networking and telecommunications. Gaming has been an obsession of mine that includes playing Wizardry on an Amiga. I hope to become a better organizer, writer, and programmer.

• 2Like

Stonebrunt

I can tell you're new. Not by the fact you joined the forum yesterday, or the post count, etc. But by the fact that you havent seen this same conversation a million f'n times already. We even have threads listed within the last two pages highlighting the FoH Broz MMO.

I wanted to start organizing and gathering all the ideas and conversations into one general thread.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd be interested contributing as a personal growth kind of thing. I've been a developer for like 7 years and my current job has me designing and refactoring enterprise databases and data-related solutions.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
/shrug. Software eng. It would be fun to contribute to a game in my spare time. As long as I'm not programming in perl or some shit.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Where's tyen when you need him? This is some real eqbrowser territory, bros.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm in sales and I handle all the financial contracts, and state paperwork for the business. The biggest things that stand out to me no matter what business you are in are the tools that your employees use, and how you interact with your customers or vice versa.

If you make a tool that is simple enough for an elderly person to understand how to design your game, but has the depth to create complex systems - then your tools will save you more time over the life of the project, onward past release. Not only will this lessen the extent of how harmful turn over will be, but it opens up another door. One where we as a gaming community have been saying forever that the ultimate goal should be for a user to develop their own content. If the tools are easy, we'll have one piece of the puzzle down complete.

As far as customer interaction - I personally just dont think its that damn hard to listen to your customers complaints and act accordingly. How, instead of ignoring a customers complaint - acknowledge their feedback and address the issue. How much more good will would Blizzard have right now if they just would have said "We can't do a Classic Launch right now because of "X" limitation/reason." Instead of the feedback that was "You think you do, but you dont" only to be proved wrong, far above what anyone was expecting.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I spent a few weeks messing with unreal and some tutorials.

Got most of it to work, but don't know how to fix the shit that I couldn't make work.

Still think an MMO isn't that damn hard, I just lack the skills

Foler Foler bankroll TJT TJT and I for a shoestring MMO

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm in sales and I handle all the financial contracts, and state paperwork for the business. The biggest things that stand out to me no matter what business you are in are the tools that your employees use, and how you interact with your customers or vice versa.

If you make a tool that is simple enough for an elderly person to understand how to design your game, but has the depth to create complex systems - then your tools will save you more time over the life of the project, onward past release. Not only will this lessen the extent of how harmful turn over will be, but it opens up another door. One where we as a gaming community have been saying forever that the ultimate goal should be for a user to develop their own content. If the tools are easy, we'll have one piece of the puzzle down complete.

As far as customer interaction - I personally just dont think its that damn hard to listen to your customers complaints and act accordingly. How, instead of ignoring a customers complaint - acknowledge their feedback and address the issue. How much more good will would Blizzard have right now if they just would have said "We can't do a Classic Launch right now because of "X" limitation/reason." Instead of the feedback that was "You think you do, but you dont" only to be proved wrong, far above what anyone was expecting.

I'll "service" all the hot female customers!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Let's make an 8-bit retro MMO about horny halflings.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user