Tolkien (2019)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Tolkien (2019)

Genre: Drama

Director: Dome Karukoski

Cast: Nicholas Hoult, Lily Collins, Genevieve O'Reilly, Colm Meaney, Tom Glynn-Carney, Craig Roberts, Anthony Boyle, Patrick Gibson, Laura Donnelly, Derek Jacobi, Pam Ferris

Release: 2019-05-03

Plot: Tolkien explores the formative years of the orphaned author as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school. This takes him into the outbreak of World War I, which threatens to tear the “fellowship” apart. All of these experiences would inspire Tolkien to write his famous Middle-Earth novels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I have a bad feeling about this one. Can't really put it into words. Giving it the Hollywood treatment they give "fantastic" movies but like his life probably wasn't much of a fairy tale really...

Siliconemelons

If this does not go into his relationship with Lewis and the Christian message and conversions etc. as a big part of their relationship and the works they both surround - it is intentionally removing the Christian positive aspect from their lives and his story. Even if it is portrayed as neutral or negative it is a huge fallacy - fun note, Tokien converted Lewis, many assume its the opposite as Lewis's work is meant to be direct allegory as Tolkien is not "meant to be"- yet he admits, and this is key - Anyone's personal and religious beliefs translate into their creative works if they intent to, want to or not- he is Christian, so, that will reflect in his work... the same with everyone.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
I think this will be something like dead poet's society. Tolkien was into weird school clubs, litterature etc. Could be fun.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm really surprised they didn't cast Bruno Mars or Jussie Smollet as Tolkien. That's going to bite them in the ass.

• 3Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If this does not go into his relationship with Lewis and the Christian message and conversions etc. as a big part of their relationship and the works they both surround - it is intentionally removing the Christian positive aspect from their lives and his story. Even if it is portrayed as neutral or negative it is a huge fallacy - fun note, Tokien converted Lewis, many assume its the opposite as Lewis's work is meant to be direct allegory as Tolkien is not "meant to be"- yet he admits, and this is key - Anyone's personal and religious beliefs translate into their creative works if they intent to, want to or not- he is Christian, so, that will reflect in his work... the same with everyone.

Lewis does not appear to be a character in the film according to IMDb.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My initial fear was that it would mostly just be historical fiction with the main character just so happen to be named JRR, not actually a faithful telling of Tolkien's life. No CS Lewis makes me think I might be right.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Sounds boring. Reminds me of Beatles biopic movies and shit, none of them are interesting. The subject matter might grab your attention then you're left with typically British, insufferably boring drama. This is exactly the kind of movie you watch one sunday afternoon three to four years from now.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Way to out yourself as a gay fag

On the contrary-- myself and several other friends walked out of the theater during ROTK about halfway through the ending, as I recall.

There was a lot of gut churning reactions with the long cuts and lingering shots.

General consensus was the adaptation was just too gay. Source material equally suspicious.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database