Top 50 Greatest Dance Tracks Of All Time

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
http://mixmag.net/words/news/what-is...ck-of-all-time

WHAT IS THE GREATEST DANCE TRACK OF ALL TIME?

15 February 2013
WordsNews

Tens of thousands of you voted, and now it?s time for the results. We can now reveal your 50 Greatest Dance Tracks Of All Time. And of course, the worthy winner...

Words: Damien Morris, Chris Cottingham, Thomas H Green, Duncan Dick

50. Darude 'Sandstorm' [16 Inch Records], 1999

49. Age Of Love 'Age Of Love' [Diki], 1990

48. Chase & Status 'Blind Faith' [Ram], 2011

47. Jaydee 'Plastic Dreams' [R&S], 1992

46. Soulwax 'NY Excuse' [Pias], 2005

45. Josh Wink 'Higher State' [Strictly Rhythm], 1995

44. Groove Armada 'Superstylin' [Pepper], 2001

43. Frankie Knuckles/ Jamie Principle 'Your Love' [Persona], 1986

42. A Guy Called Gerald 'Voodoo Ray' [Rham!], 1988

41. LCD Soundsystem 'Losing My Edge' [DFA], 2002

40. ?me 'Rej' [Defected], 2006

39. Armand Van Helden 'U Don?t Know Me', [Armed], 1999

38. Justice 'Phantom Pt 2' [Ed Banger], 2007

37. Massive Attack 'Unfinished Sympathy' [Virgin], 1991

36. Noir And Haze 'Around (Solomun remix)' [Noir Music], 2011

35. The Future Sound Of London, 'Papua New Guinea' [Jumpin' & Pumpin' Records], 1991

34. Robin S 'Show Me Love' [Champion], 1993

33. Aphex Twin 'Window Licker' [Warp], 1999

32. Moby 'Go' [Outer Rhythm], 1991

31. Orbital 'Chime' [FFRR], 1990

30. Goldie 'Inner City Life' [FFRR], 1995

29. Larent Garnier 'Man With The Red Face' [F Communications], 2000

28. Rythim Is Rythim 'Strings Of Life' [Transmat], 1987

27. Benny Benassi 'Satisfaction' [D:vision], 2002

26. The Aztec Mystic 'Knights Of The Jaguar' [Underground Resistance], 1999

25. The Prodigy 'Firestarter' [XL], 1996

24. Deamau5 featuring Kaskade 'I Remember' [Mau5trap], 2008

23. Energy 52 'Caf? Del Mar' [Eye Q/], 1993

22. The Prodigy 'Out Of Space' [XL], 1992

21. Above & Beyond 'Sun & Moon' [Anjunabeats], 2011

20. David Guetta 'A Little More Love' [Ultralab], 2001

19. Donna Summer 'I Feel Love' [Casablanca/GTO], 1977

18. New Order 'Blue Monday' [Factory], 1983

17. Swedish House Mafia 'One (Your Name)' [Polydor], 2010

16. Avicii 'Levels' [Universal], 2011

15. Daft Punk 'Around The World' [Virgin], 1997

14. Paul & Fritz Kalkbrenner 'Sky And Sand' [BPitch Control], 2009

13. Armin van Buuren feat Nadia Ali 'Feels So Good' [Armind], 2011

12. Silence (Tiesto remix) 'Delerium' [nettwerk], 1999

11. The Chemical Brothers 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl' [Freestyle Dust/Virgin], 1999

10. Fatboy Slim 'Right Here, Right Now' [Skint], 1999
Released at the peak of the Skint Records-led big beat explosion, at a time when ?You?ve Come A Long Way, Baby? was elevating Norman Cook to superstar DJ, it?s now a universal anthem of strident empowerment.

9. Sasha 'Xpander' [deconstruction/BMG], 1999
Progressive house was all but dead by 1999. Sasha and Charlie May resurrected the form triumphantly with the stunning surges and tidal melodies of Xpander, named after the analogue synth it was written on.

8. PVD 'For An Angel' [Deviant Records], 1998
Originally from his PVD?s ?45 RPM? album, it was rediscovered, toughened up and re-released as the ?E-Werk Remix? during the Gatecrasher-led late-?90s trance boom, becoming a scene-defining hit.

7. Plastikman 'Spastik' [Novamute], 1993,
He's done so much but perhaps still Richie Hawtin?s greatest achievement, ?Spastik? is imperious, terrifying, the sound of a spitting, Touretting drum machine having a break down, a murderous, metallic jazz take on techno.

6. Stardust 'Music Sounds Better With You' [Roul?], 1998
Improvised around a Chaka Khan guitar loop by French producer Alan Braxe and Daft Punk?s Thomas Bangalter, garnished with Ben Cohen?s rudimentary yet perfect vocals, Stardust proved that Bangalter had an uncanny ability to turn disco metal into crossover gold.

5. Faithless 'Insomnia' [Cheeky], 1995
?Long build, big drop, big riff.? Faithless executed the blueprint so perfectly on Insomnia that they had to play it twice at every gig. An astonishing cocktail of Buddhist street poetry, piano house, orchestral pop and Euro-trance.

4. Underworld 'Born Slippy' [Junior Boys Own], 1995
Before Trainspotting, this was originally a b-side, a seemingly uncommercial ten-minute mix of improvised, one-take lyrics and jackhammer beats. Last summer it featured in the Olympic opening ceremony.

3. The Prodigy 'Smack My Bitch Up' [XL], 1997
The last of a trilogy of controversial singles which saw the Prodigy discussed in Parliament. Thrillingly combative street music, polished for so long it became raw again, beats sicker than a zombie orgy.

2. Tiesto 'Adagio For Strings' [Independance], 2004
Barber?s classical Adagio was a deeply serious work. Tiesto, inspired by Ferry Corsten?s 1999 remix, collides brutal beats with lachrymose strings for an anthem which fanfared his rise to world?s biggest DJ.

1. Daft Punk 'One More Time' [2000 / Virgin]
Is it the loop? Slower than the average house tune, somehow the breathless, chiming slice of compressed euphoria seems to be constantly accelerating, pulling us along after it, further and higher into ecstasy. And then, just as you think you may smile yourself to death ? boom! The bass and beat drop and we are off.

Is it that extended breakdown? So soon into the track that it?s almost the track itself, a confident inversion of the usual template that contributes to ?One More Time? being one of the single most suspenseful, dramatic slices of dance music ever made?

Is it those lyrics? Repetitive, robotic and effected to within an inch of its life Romanthony?s vocal may be ? but somehow that makes it even more achingly human, a robot that teaches us about ourselves in trying to be more like us. Or the fact that the words to One More Time are the closest that we night people have to national anthem? ?Music?s got me feeling so free. We?re gonna celebrate, Celebrate and dance so free?. Look deep down inside yourself, strip away all the accumulated bullshit and distractions and ask why you go to festivals, why you go to clubs, why you feel the need to get up there on that dancefloor: It?s right there in those three lines. ?One More Time? never loses its power because its message is something we all need to be reminded of every so often.

Then that loop comes back, charging like a runaway train through your body ? with the same spine-tingling hit like pure MDMA whether it?s the first or the thousandth time you?ve heard it. It?s a physical impossibility not to smile, move, dance, raise your arms, jump in the air. Or whatever it is that your body does to tell you that yes this is it and yes this is why we are here and this is why we came out and this is why we love dance music and yes fucking yes fucking yes fucking yes? In hindsight, no other track ever really stood a chance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Surprisingly, I agreed with a large portion of this list which either means that Mixmag (and their readership) is getting better (which is not possible) or my tastes are getting worse (very slim possibility)

Hard to argue with the top 10, pretty much all awesome dance tracks.

Tiesto had a lot better tracks that they could have stuck in top 10 aside from Adagio for Strings though. "In My Memory" or "We Ran At Dawn (as Allure)"

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
1. Darude - Sandstorm
2. Darude - Sandstorm
3. Darude - Sandstorm
4. Darude - Sandstorm
5. Darude - Sandstorm
6. Darude - Sandstorm
7. Darude - Sandstorm
8. Darude - Sandstorm
9. Darude - Sandstorm
10. Darude - Sandstorm
11. Darude - Sandstorm
12. Darude - Sandstorm
13. Darude - Sandstorm
14. Darude - Sandstorm
15. Darude - Sandstorm
16. Darude - Sandstorm
17. Darude - Sandstorm
18. Darude - Sandstorm
19. Darude - Sandstorm
20. Darude - Sandstorm
21. Darude - Sandstorm
22. Darude - Sandstorm
23. Darude - Sandstorm
24. Darude - Sandstorm
25. Darude - Sandstorm
26. Darude - Sandstorm
27. Darude - Sandstorm
28. Darude - Sandstorm
29. Darude - Sandstorm
30. Darude - Sandstorm
31. Darude - Sandstorm
32. Darude - Sandstorm
33. Darude - Sandstorm
34. Darude - Sandstorm
35. Darude - Sandstorm
36. Darude - Sandstorm
37. Darude - Sandstorm
38. Darude - Sandstorm
39. Darude - Sandstorm
40. Darude - Sandstorm
41. Darude - Sandstorm
42. Darude - Sandstorm
43. Darude - Sandstorm
44. Darude - Sandstorm
45. Darude - Sandstorm
46. Darude - Sandstorm
47. Darude - Sandstorm
48. Darude - Sandstorm
49. Darude - Sandstorm
50. Darude - Sandstorm

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
Pretty good list. I voted for this a few months ago and I think I either voted for music sounds better with you or around the world. Those are the first tracks I can remember that got me into dance music. Thomas bangalter is a goddamn genius.