Trading in your used car.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So my wife is in the market to buy a new car. She has an older ('07) Rav4 Limited right now. V6, AWD. all that jazz. It has the upgraded JBL sound system and all. It's in immaculate shape. Especially for 110k miles. Looks brand new, all things considered.

So anyway, the she likes the VW Tiguan because it's a smaller SUV and offers 3rd row seating. The first VW dealer said they'd offer her $3k for the trade in. Hard pass. We wanted much more than that.
Second dealer said $1k. Even harder pass. Fuck this shit.

So we got the car detailed on Sunday. Then took a bunch of pictures on Monday, and listed it on Craigslist this morning for $8k.
I have a guy coming out tomorrow to take a look at it and see how it drives. I love Craigslist.

Moral of the story: If you have time to wait, sell your car privately BEFORE you buy a new vehicle. Then walk in with the additional down payment $$ and no trade in. You'll be good to go.

EDIT: Just had a 2nd person contact me about the truck. Time to sell this bad boy.

KzIjZY2.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Can also take your car to CarMax for a quote and then if dealers low ball your trade can show them the CarMax quote and get them to match it. Some states lower the tax on the new car purchase by the trade in amount so it can make sense in those states to do that.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
To a certain extent, carmax lowballs too.

Its because they are saying "look, right here right now. X dollars. Take it or leave it" and they have the cash to back it up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what do i do w/ a 2002 honda civic that bluebook values at 700-1300?

Yes, admittedly i've shown pics, my engine block looks like it's been underwater, but i actually keep up w/ the service, we're thinking about a suv in a year two, i know two couples w/ 3 cars (young kids), two car garage, but can of course just park 2 in the driveway as well, and if i want to, park on the street.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Dealer won't give you shit for that. You'll be lucky to hit 1300, but try craigslist with $2k and see what happens. Just clean it really well before doing anything.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Next update. I was messaged by someone with a Mass. area code. He wanted me to spend money on his junk websites for a fake VIN reading. He called me first to ask if I still had the car, then sent these texts about 30 minutes later. Note: Don't click on either of those websites. They're either a phishing scheme to get my info, or they just want me to buy some bullshit by giving them my credit card. Hard pass either way.

Him "Hey i saw your car listed on CL and have a few questions for ya"

Me "What's up?"

Him "I read the whole thing but im having trouble finding the price for it"

Him "Whats your price on 2007 rav4?"

Me "It's listed at $8k right now. The truck may be gone tonight, though. Someone is coming to look after they get done work. Bringing cash."

Him "Also, do you mind getting a copy of your cars history report from premiumvinnreports.com - If so, please send that to me at: [email protected]"

Him "hey, dont mean to bother but are you still here?"

Me "Yes."

Him "Once i see a copy of report from vinnreportsupreme.com maybe we can schedule a time to meet for a test drive"

Him "Imk after you've pulled the report and we can make a time to meet up"

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
So my wife is in the market to buy a new car. She has an older ('07) Rav4 Limited right now. V6, AWD. all that jazz. It has the upgraded JBL sound system and all. It's in immaculate shape. Especially for 110k miles. Looks brand new, all things considered.

So anyway, the she likes the VW Tiguan because it's a smaller SUV and offers 3rd row seating. The first VW dealer said they'd offer her $3k for the trade in. Hard pass. We wanted much more than that.
Second dealer said $1k. Even harder pass. Fuck this shit.

So we got the car detailed on Sunday. Then took a bunch of pictures on Monday, and listed it on Craigslist this morning for $8k.
I have a guy coming out tomorrow to take a look at it and see how it drives. I love Craigslist.

Moral of the story: If you have time to wait, sell your car privately BEFORE you buy a new vehicle. Then walk in with the additional down payment $$ and no trade in. You'll be good to go.

EDIT: Just had a 2nd person contact me about the truck. Time to sell this bad boy.

KzIjZY2.jpg

That car is not worth a cent over $5,000. You could list it for $1.00 or $15,000 and you will always get Craigslist hits. Nature of Craigslist. If you sell it for $8k then mad props to you for getting lucky with a sucker.

Mad Max it and enter some demo-derbies.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Some places used to advertise a minimum dollar amount for anything you can drive to the dealership trade in. No clue if this still happens or is in your area.

Otherwise, find some family/friend that needs a cheap car for their 16 year old to drive? Donate it? Scrap it for parts?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The places that say "$X,XXX trade in value for anything you can drive onto the lot" are essentially buffering the prices they start negotiating at to recover that money.

I need to find a place to buy a car which has been in a wreck and wondering what the best way to get best value for it would be. 2010 mustang, runs good, but the front drivers quarterpanel, grill, bumper, and hood need to be replaced.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Some places used to advertise a minimum dollar amount for anything you can drive to the dealership trade in. No clue if this still happens or is in your area.

Otherwise, find some family/friend that needs a cheap car for their 16 year old to drive? Donate it? Scrap it for parts?
They just sell you the other car for a higher price. It isn't really a deal.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Can also take your car to CarMax for a quote and then if dealers low ball your trade can show them the CarMax quote and get them to match it. Some states lower the tax on the new car purchase by the trade in amount so it can make sense in those states to do that.

This is what I did with my last car I traded in. Carmax offered me 10k for it, dealership offered 6k. I had already negotiated the new car completely and they still matched the trade in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is what I did with my last car I traded in. Carmax offered me 10k for it, dealership offered 6k. I had already negotiated the new car completely and they still matched the trade in.
wow what kind of a car had that much trade in value?

Siliconemelons

Sorry to jump in and most likely re-post most info.

My boss got his Tesla 3 and I told him years ago when he did his deposit to let me know as he had a 2012 Nissan Leaf- I was interested in an EV as my commute and errands fit in sub 45 miles a day at high.

So I needed to sell my Rogue fast - also a 2012- I owed a few k still on it so private party is annoying when you don't hold the title, finding someone willing to "pay then wait" for the title etc etc.

I did a KBB instant cash offer for a decent offer - that was only good for 2 days- a few partner dealerships emailed me about this.

This was to estimate where I should be- it was middle of my KBB trade in value.

I then had CarMax give me an offer, it was 800$ MORE I was shocked - but I think the Rogue fit into their "cheap fast selling" target cars and it was fully loaded (rare) and in good condition.

So then I emailed a dealer that was emailing me from the KBB instant offer - gave them the CarMax price and they beat it by 265$ more- sold.

By then I was actually about 350 over KBB trade in top range.