Transcendental Meditation

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Been really considering giving this a try. I have some childhood shit that can still bum me out from time to time. I have been to therapist and things are way better than they used to be, but I kind of feel like I have done all I can do in therapy. I am looking for another coping mechanism that can not only help me deal with the noise in my head abut my bullshit from childhood but something that can perhaps better me and help me focus more in life.

Has anyone else tried this? Or is it a regular part of your life? Would love to hear more about it from people with first hand experience.

http://www.tm.org/

Pops

Only a cynic, but only you can solve your problems, not religion, not drugs, not counseling.

Become self aware. Recognize events that set you off. History does repeat itself, situations that cause stress will occur over and over.

So give yourself a break.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I don't do anything particularly fancy, but I've incorporated 20 minutes or so of really basic meditation into my daily schedule the last few months and don't plan on stopping any time soon. It doesn't have the mind blowing effects some claim (eg, doesn't help with back problems the way I'd hoped), but it does seem to make me calmer, more energetic and all together feeling better for the day, and once you get used to it you start to look forward to the chance to just disconnect and float for a while, mentally speaking.

Only a cynic, but only you can solve your problems, not religion, not drugs, not counseling.
I agree with your attitude generally, but I'd argue that generally, when used correctly, things like drugs, counseling and meditation can be the tools which you use to address your problems. Not so sure about religion.

Pops

True. Every individual is different.

Understand that all of this is a crutch. To each their poison.

Azrayne

How is it a crutch? Is going to the gym to improve your physical health and strength and appearance a crutch? Is wearing certain clothes to appear attractive or to indicate certain things about you a crutch? Is changing your diet to lose weight a crutch? What about seeing a doctor when you're sick? Or taking medication they prescribe?

So What, is everyone supposed to wake up and just will themselves into being as healthy and happy and awesome as they want to be before they get out of bed? Life doesn't work that way, things like exercise and medication and even medication and counseling (I'm not going to touch religion) are tools designed to help us improve our lives to become the people we want to be, to lead the lives we want to lead. Yes, like every tool, ever, they can be misused, but that doesn't mean you should just write them off as a crutch. People shouldn't be derided for making an effort to be the person they desire, they should be lauded for it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Become self aware. Recognize events that set you off. History does repeat itself, situations that cause stress will occur over and over.

So give yourself a break.
Interesting choice of words. Whether you realize it or not you post comes across very condescending. Though I have mentioned it on this very board I doubt you were aware of my childhood issues when you made your post. I doubt history will repeat itself in my case because it is pretty hard for a 36 year old 6'3 300 lbs man to be molested. But never say never, am I right?

If you have ever been to counseling I doubt you would refer to it as a crutch. In counseling (assuming you have a good therapist) you actually work through your issues, you come to an understanding that there are no magic words that will make everything ok. You learn different coping mechanisms to deal with things that may trigger thoughts or emotions from your past. See I have kids now, and though they are the joy of my life little things they say or do can bring back some pretty vivid memories. I didn't go to counseling to get over my shit or whine and cry about my childhood. I went to the therapist to be a better Husband and Father, see I don't ever want to snap at my kid because I have a flashback and it puts me in a shitty mood.

I kept what happened to me in for years and thought therapy was for pussies. What I came to realize is that it takes way more courage to face your bullshit and admit to the bad habits you might picked up all the while using your issues as a "crutch."

Regarding drugs, they have there place medically speaking, but in many cases they are not the solution either.

Regarding religion ... bah don't get me started.

I am pretty damn self aware, so if it is ok with you Mr Cynic I would like to hear from other people that have tried TM.

EDIT: Azrayne thanks for your legit response.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Meditation is pretty legit. Sam Harris has written and has a lot of experience with meditation. I don't know anything about TM (website), however if you strip away all the fluff around it and really get into the core of breathing exercises that drum up the foundations of meditation, there are scientific literature that talks about the benefits of meditation.

I'd personally stay away from any sort of self help programs and concentrate on core techniques.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'd personally stay away from any sort of self help programs and concentrate on core techniques.
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Believe it or not the person that got me interested in this is Howard Stern. He talks about it a lot on the air, he says he learned in 3 one hour sessions Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems like one of those things where what you put into it is what you're gonna get out of it.

Well, upon a few moments reflection that sounds borderline fucking stupid. But hopefully it makes some sense. If you approached baking cookies with the same mindset, you'd probably do no worse.

Which is not an argument against meditation or an argument for baking cookies. Whatever works, works. Worst case you bore yourself and feel silly for a few days.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Been really considering giving this a try. I have some childhood shit that can still bum me out from time to time. I have been to therapist and things are way better than they used to be, but I kind of feel like I have done all I can do in therapy. I am looking for another coping mechanism that can not only help me deal with the noise in my head abut my bullshit from childhood but something that can perhaps better me and help me focus more in life.

Has anyone else tried this? Or is it a regular part of your life? Would love to hear more about it from people with first hand experience.

http://www.tm.org/
If you're interested in tossing all of your money into a big pile of shit, you could also buy an old "fixer up boat", get married, or remodel a house.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If you're interested in tossing all of your money into a big pile of shit, you could also buy an old "fixer up boat", get married, or remodel a house.
I linked that site just for someone that might not know what TM is. Regarding the "all" your money statement, I doubt a few sessions will take "all" my money. Like I said before, my understanding is this is something you learn in 3 sessions and then do it on your own.

Lastly, have you tried it? Or did you just post to try and be funny?

Azrayne

Training sessions aren't even really necessary man, this is the 21st century, amazon has books on meditation coming out the ass, not to mention that google/torrents/youtube are loaded with written/video guides to various forms of meditation. Of course the internet being what it is, you'll have to sift through the shit, but given the subject matter, there's also a good chance of the classes being BS too.

The hardest part is going to be finding something relatively indepth but not too heavy on the spiritual hocus pocus. There are a lot of '5 minute meditation to reduce stress before work!' guides out there, and a lot of 'The Ancient Super Duper Secret Art of Becoming an Ascendent Master of the Cosmos' books out there, but finding something in the middle might be tricky.

That said, I'm not discouraging the classes, they should at least be a starting point, and an instructor is almost universally a better teacher than a book, just that you don't have to blow wads of cash on something that feels shifty. If it's reasonably priced and looks legit, by all means go for it. Worst case scenario, there might be some hot new age type chicks in yoga pants.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
This thing is bullshit.

I Went to Maharishi University of Management in Iowa becuase they have a great Masters program for foreigners; in reality 60% of all the shit is meditation and stuff like that. Tried it for a couple of months and really thought it was bullshit, some people swear by it but 80% of other students think its total bs.

Sure, "meditating" as in "Resting" with your eyes closed for 20 minutes before lunch and in the evening will help overall with your stress levels; but is not tied to the technique of Guru dev or the Maharishi.

Oh, and don't get me started on Yogic Flying.. ugh.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
How much did that cost you?
6k for 6 months in campus includes food, dorm, classes and learning TM.

Then it's 28k for 2 1/2 years while you work (paying 1.2k/mo in student debt), granted, as a masters in comp sci you get 6 figures/year so is not that big of a problem

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Last time I checked pubmed meditation held no significant advantage over simply relaxing. Putting transcendental before it just makes it that more silly. This thread belongs in the shaw imho.

TrainWreck1.gif

TrainWreck1.gif