Travel Rewards Programs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There was a thread a while back I found regarding travel reward credit cards, but what I wanted to talk about was the different rewards programs for the airlines and hotels.

Been in a dilemma recently, where I got a new job and I'm traveling a ton. They let us keep all of our rewards points. So the dilemma is, that my company prefers Hilton hotels, and for flights, it seems Delta flies more to where I need to go than Southwest. This is leaving out of Seattle.

Now my Chase Sapphire UR points can transfer to Marriott, but not Hilton, so that sucks. And it can transfer to Virgin Atlantic, which is a travel partner to Delta, but have to book flights over the phone I guess? That's annoying.

Should I go against the grain and start to book Marriott's for business to gain the membership levels? Is the Diamond or Platinum levels that different on either one? Of course I can always transfer points to Marriott, and just stay for free without any membership level.

As for Delta vs Southwest, I hear good about both. I like Delta's international locations, but I doubt I'd ever use them anytime soon, and their medallion levels seem near impossible to get. Southwest is gonna be cheaper, and I can transfer directly from my Chase card for points there. I've booked round trips from SEA to PHX for 8k points total. Won't get near that on Delta, although I've seen SEA to Vegas for around 12k points.

I was pretty set on just using Hilton's, as the membership level would be nice on my business travel, and not as cool when traveling personally with family, but I still can't decide between Delta and Southwest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Southwest has great prices but I would never want to use them as my preferred airline. Too cheap overall. Not the biggest fan of the free for all seating.

Then again I usually risk my health with United since SFO is such a major hub.

Vinen

God is dead
Airline rewards programs mean nothing unless you spend enough to hit tiers each year.

I have United Plat and it required all my work and personal travel for the year to hit the 9K USD required. Keep in mind taxes are NOT included in PQD in United Cases.

If you get the United Credit card PQD is not required for up to Plat and you just need to meet the miles and segments requirement.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's the issue, is that I don't think I'm going to be flying enough in the year to hit it, so then I'm stuck with well, who has the best ways to spend points, because I'll still rack up quite a few points on either one. I suppose if I'm just going for points, then choose Southwest since I can easily transfer points from my Chase card to add to whatever work travel has me doing as well.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you dont travel frequently, probably for work, they are all shit and wont give you much. That being said, my experience:

If you fly only US and mostly within a region Southwest is the best for a few reasons...
  1. At 100k miles you get companion pass. This means a pre-defined individual can fly free with you any ti,e you fly
  2. At A or A+ status, i forget, but i think like 50-60k miles you get free internet. NO other airlines gives this
  3. Once you fly like 20k miles youll always be in boarding group A1-30 so no real problems getting a good seat
The big problem they have(for me) is that they dont do international aside from some mexico and caribbean and any longer flight will have a layover since they only fly 737 and dont have as many terminals as other airlines

I currently fly delta but honestly there is no difference between them and american or united, except you wont get your ass beat on delta(#burn united!) the rewards programs are almost identical and all fairly shitty

Side note: i used to have a SW card and got the companion pass every year for like 4 years, it was pretty awesome. I since switched to a generic points card. Think its citi black or something, i can look tomorrow. I can use my points for miles or random other shit and it links directly to my amazon account, so during checkout i can just switch from my card to "my points" which is cool, the ration for amazon probably isnt as good as an amazon card but i like the flexibility.

The bottom line is that any of these cards or rewards programs will be garbage unless you dump tons of money on the card for either work or because youre rich. Anytime you fly/stay at hotel id recommend using the rewards simoly because "why not?" But dont expect shit until you start spending fifty grand or more

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I'll see if my upgrade gets revoked but Delta screwed up and doubled the bonus miles earned for spending 30k/60k to earn 15k/30k MQM miles for 2016 for everyone on the Reserve card. This is basically an entire tier upgrade in their reward program. Now that's a reward program I can stick with!