Turn off your adblock for us...

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Prior Amod>
31d 3h 54m
Reactions
2,074 150 0 0
Because there are no ads here and people complain about amazon and other embeds not working. Adblock breaks those embeds.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
9,575 1,721 0 0
Firefox tracking protection set to 'always' breaks them as well

khorum

Get Raped
<Donors Crew>
67d 4h 36m
Reactions
49,083 2,057 0 0
I turned it off last year but wait a goddamn second.... why would ANY ad-blockers even block embeds from AMAZON.COM, one of the biggest retailers in the world whose existence depends on their brand NOT being associated with spammers?

Are their affiliates running ad scams or something?

Sounds like if you wanted to get rid of a spammer, the best course of action would be to tell Jeff Bezos that some cuck is skimming off his bottom line, and the dude would spend his gorillions tracking that dude down to where he lived to kill him and his children.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
9,575 1,721 0 0
I turned it off last year but wait a goddamn second.... why would ANY ad-blockers even block embeds from AMAZON.COM, one of the biggest retailers in the world whose existence depends on their brand NOT being associated with spammers?

Are their affiliates running ad scams or something?
Adblockers aren't just around to hide the ads or to make things cleaner, they also function as a way to fuck the embedded scripts that are associated with them, which helps to prevent tracking. Not blocking them would give Amazon information on your browsing habits through sites that have those embeds. At least, that's how I understand the idea behind it.

khorum

Get Raped
<Donors Crew>
67d 4h 36m
Reactions
49,083 2,057 0 0
Adblockers aren't just around to hide the ads or to make things cleaner, they also function as a way to fuck the embedded scripts that are associated with them, which helps to prevent tracking. Not blocking them would give Amazon information on your browsing habits through sites that have those embeds. At least, that's how I understand the idea behind it.
If you're concerned enough about that, then you'd be informed enough to use a vpn or browse incognito. I suppose that's a good reason for an ad-blocker to disable Amazon embeds, but then if an adblocker excludes amazon.com on that basis they'd have to believe that those embeds would be MALWARE running code to capture your browsing history and phoning it home to Amazon.com.....and that's a stretch.

Erronius

Survivor of Attempted Rape
20d 10m
Reactions
6,442 816 0 0
Because there are no ads here and people complain about amazon and other embeds not working. Adblock breaks those embeds.
Well, I guess the people complaining can turn ABP off, but I haven't had an issue so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

suineg

<Donors Crew>
31d 10h 36m
Reactions
22,677 2,261 0 0
Well, I guess the people complaining can turn ABP off, but I haven't had an issue so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yup, if you don’t have an issue leave it alone.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
9,575 1,721 0 0
If you're concerned enough about that, then you'd be informed enough to use a vpn or browse incognito. I suppose that's a good reason for an ad-blocker to disable Amazon embeds, but then if an adblocker excludes amazon.com on that basis they'd have to believe that those embeds would be MALWARE running code to capture your browsing history and phoning it home to Amazon.com.....and that's a stretch.
It's more that ad blockers just outright block anything considered an ad, with a few exceptions such as what AdBlock did with having different versions with one that blocks them all and ones that allows 'approved' ads through, it's also why they've lost a lot of popularity compared to ublock. People that are interested in adblocking generally want it all gone. And anyone worried about malware through ads is probably also using NoScript as well.

Keep in mind that many websites these days earn revenues through Amazon affiliate links, and so that's another reason for them to be blocked.

khorum

Get Raped
<Donors Crew>
67d 4h 36m
Reactions
49,083 2,057 0 0
I'm using ublock right now, and I disabled it for this domain because it used to break amazon.com book links. Was that fixed?

suineg

<Donors Crew>
31d 10h 36m
Reactions
22,677 2,261 0 0
Keep in mind that many websites these days earn revenues through Amazon affiliate links, and so that's another reason for them to be blocked.
Yup and I very specifically don’t have one enabled so that there is no conflict by me suggesting you whitelist us. It would work even without the embed though.

The reason why I don’t just disable it is because it shows price for people in real time to include current discounts.

suineg

<Donors Crew>
31d 10h 36m
Reactions
22,677 2,261 0 0
I'm using ublock right now, and I disabled it for this domain because it used to break amazon.com book links. Was that fixed?
It wasn’t fixed because it isn’t broken but that is the impetus for the notification.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
9,575 1,721 0 0
I run with ublock and noscript, along with Firefox's built in tracking protection and the only things that mess up the embeds are not having the site whitelisted through ublock, having the assoc-amazon.com scripts blocked through noscript, and seemingly the firefox tracking protection. No idea about book links.

khorum

Get Raped
<Donors Crew>
67d 4h 36m
Reactions
49,083 2,057 0 0
Well ok, that's cool but I doubt you're the dude who runs ublock ___AND___ complains about his amazon embeds not working.

Who was it?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Moderation Tools>
20d 4h 39m
Reactions
14,141 3,294 0 0
I don't have any issues on this site on my PC using ABP and a script blocker, but on mobile with no blockers, I experienced all sorts of issues with giphy, imgur, and other embedding using mobile Chrome.

Dom

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
9,575 1,721 0 0
Well ok, that's cool but I doubt you're the dude who runs ublock ___AND___ complains about his amazon embeds not working.

Who was it?
Wasn't me. Had something to do with a post in product reviews

Void

We're America, bitch!
<Donor All-Stars>
21d 8h 37m
Reactions
2,207 286 0 0
Every few months we go through this. I remember complaining about it soon after the board was created, and we figured out that it was ad blocking. I've had uBlock off for this site ever since, and never had any problems that I am aware of. I appreciate (and donated to show that appreciation) not having to worry about ads or popups or any malicious *cough*Requiem*cough* scripts that never get fixed.

lurkingdirk

<Donors Crew>
22d 21m
Reactions
5,323 1,159 0 0
What I don't understand is why do they have ads on this site? If they didn't, we wouldn't have to turn our adblockers on.

Sheesh.