TV shows that could no longer exist

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I have more channels than ever before and less to watch...

It has me thinking. There are so many shows that could never be remade or rebroadcast (except on pretty obscure channels). I want your help in creating the ultimate "They Couldn't/Wouldn't Make This Today" list.

Many of the ones I am thinking of are ironic indeed, since they were created and produced by the progressive, SJW's of their age. But if aired today, would NEVER fly...

Here are some early contenders on my list. I know there are tons more.

1) F- Troop
2) Hogan's Heroes
3) The Courtship of Eddie's Father
4) The Dukes of Hazard
5) All in the Family
6) Married With Children
7) Three's Company
8) I Dream of Jeannie
9) Benson
10) Maude

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Hell, even Seinfeld and Friends would get a good deal of flak if they were to air in <CURRENT YEAR>.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
came to say "Married... With Children" but for different reasons than what others would say perhaps... and i suppose "The Simpsons" now that i think about it. both shows were uniquely positioned on the bad boy / underdog fighting against the big three broadcast television channels. they hit just before the internet, but after everyone got tired of what America was becoming.. America's counterculture clung to those shows because it was the closest thing to satire of the present day than they could find in a world without the internet.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
beavis_and_butthead_experience_front.jpg

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hell, even Seinfeld and Friends would get a good deal of flak if they were to air in <CURRENT YEAR>.

Naw Seinfeld would be fine. Curb Your Enthusiasm is "worse" and it's wildly popular.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea a lot of those shows would still exist, just probably on premium networks and streaming services. All in the Family would never get made again. In fact All in the Family wouldn't get remade in any time period in the last 30 years

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'll add The Flinstones and Bugs Bunny and The Road Runner... I can't even find any classic Bugs Bunny anywhere- there was some seriously racist shit in BB!

Cybsled

People forget that All in the Family was pretty controversial even in the era it existed.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I thought All In the Family did a pretty good job of representing multiple sides of the controversial topics they would choose for their episodes. Yeah, Archie had the most screen time, but all the other characters on the show generally had their own slightly unique view on thing. There were of course lots of things they still just couldn't say even with the slightly less tight leash the FCC and the corporate board and etc had on the show. But you could usually count on at least one line from each character that represents their own unique opinion. Great stuff for it's day.

If they ever did try to remake All In the Family, I think they should try to copy the envelope pushing spirit of the creators rather than wasting time recreating the superficial 70s feel of the show. If they just copied the general vibe and called it good, they wouldn't be pushing the envelope at all, and therefore would be betraying the point of the show. They've gotta figure out a way to recreate the show but still push new boundaries. I would be totally fine with them keeping the staunch conservative dad that you can't help but like despite his MAGA hat. Now THAT would stir the pot lol... Staunch Trump supporter dad that has an extreme amount of charisma for.how gruff he is, but then the rest of the family is liberals and argue with him a lot of course. The show would hopefully ride the fence, with the general moral message of each episode being just as likely to be liberal as to be conservative. But you've GOTTA have maga dad be super charismatic for the chemistry to be right.

• 1Like

Goatface

Sanford and Son - fred talked shit about to many races (probably gays too, but don't remember) . today he could only be anti-white.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Monty Python - for making fun of trans
Ren and Stimpy - they did some crazy stuff on the original show.
Different Strokes - Maybe if you switched it to black people raising white kids or some shit.

Something even newer would be 2 Broke Girls. They had some pretty non-woke jokes on that show.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Simpsons got a lot of pearlclutchers up in arms when it first came out for Bart's "profanity" and teaching kids to be rude, but it survived. Now it has characters being removed because their voice actors aren't the right skin colour. Let's be honest here: half of television might be wrongthink before the decade is over.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yea a lot of those shows would still exist, just probably on premium networks and streaming services. All in the Family would never get made again. In fact All in the Family wouldn't get remade in any time period in the last 30 years
even by my shitlord standards all in the family is kinda rough.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
In Living Color - Handiman alone would throw the outrage brigade into a frenzy.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
A modern Cosby show would be epic....but only with Bill Cosby. I'd do it for the yucks if I ran a network. I'd get OJ Simpson to be his cousin or something and have him a regular on the show. Maybe get Kevin Spacey to be the mailman.

A reboot of All in the Family with Nick Offerman as Archie. No script writers needed, I'd reuse the originals.

I'd call it the World Of Kind Emotions network.

From midnight to 6AM I'd have a live cam of Lindsay Lohan passed out in a bus station somewhere.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Any show that was remotely humorous ever. Being able to laugh at the pain of others is integral to comedy, which is no longer allowed in wokeland.

• 1EyeRoll