tv vs monitor

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I'm looking at upgrading my monitors (currently 1 x 27, 2 x 24) on my home setup that is mainly used for gaming, development, image editing and music creation. I was going to just replace the 24's with 27's but now I'm considering grabbing 3 x 32" 1080p tvs for the extra size (or possibly 1 x 32 for main screen, a second 27 for side-screen) but am concerned about the increased dot-pitch in the tvs over monitors at such a close distance (around 2').

Anyone had experience with using tvs rather than monitors and able to give some opinions?

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I use three 32LN5300 LG 32" LED TV (IPS) and I haven't had any problems. They have 4:4:4 and you can turn off everything that causes input lag by renaming an input to PC. I've found they work best with HDMI-DVI cables but even the one I'm using with just a HDMI cable I have no issues with. I came from 27" 2560x1440 Crossovers and the dot pitch doesn't bother me.

2013 LG LN5300 LED HDTV Review

The best part is they're under $300:

Amazon.com: LG 32LN5300 32-Inch LED-lit 1080p 60Hz TV: Electronics

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I grabbed a DP->HDMI cable on the way home today and have been trying it with the 42" in the bedroom and works fine. CCC is saying the CU2 is outputting at 4:4:4, I turned sharpness to 0 and overscan is now at 0% and no real noticeable issues, though still have to fire up VS2013. Only weirdness is that if I turn off the other DP monitor it removes signal to the tv so no idea what's up with that.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know how people can stand using TVs as desktop monitors. We have some have 27'' 1080p monitors at work and they look like ass (to me) because of the horrid DPI. I can't imagine how much worse a bigger TV would look on your desk.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, It's definitely one thing if you are hooking your PC up to a 1080p 60" TV and playing from your couch, but if you're sitting only a foot or two away at a desk, even 27" 1080p starts to look a little bad, I can't imagine how poor that would look at 32" or larger.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
/shrug

I'm the opposite. The 1440p 27" I had were starting to hurt my eyes with how small everything was and how far away I sit from them when I'm using my PC.

spronk

FPS noob
don't use a TV as a computer monitor, the DPI is awful and you are going to damage your vision. While you get used to anything really fast, its an insane night and day difference between using a real PC monitor and a TV in terms of DPI, text quality, refresh rates, flicker, and input lag. I have a ton of PCs and monitors and TVs at home, 8 24-29" monitors and 5 55-70" TVs and you are making a huge mistake if you try to use a TV as a monitor. Is saving $200 really worth doing long term damage to your eyes?

A 27" 2560x1440 120hz monitor is $400 and less nowadays, under $200 if you get 60hz (which is fine too). Attach a bigass TV as a second monitor, they are great for playing FPSs on a couch/chair 10 feet back. But sitting inches or 1-2 feet away from a monitor, you don't want to use a TV. If the text is too small, you can configure windows display to make all the text bigger, Windows 8.1 has a ton of little tweaks to personalize it exactly how you want.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Like I said I had 3 Crossover 27" 1440p monitors before these 32" LG TVs and I much prefer the TVs both for web browsing and for gaming.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I much prefer the TVs both for web browsing
Sure, it's probably fine if you're blind.

rrr_img_49864.jpg

For everyone else :Windows 8.1 DPI Scaling Enhancements

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sitting 7-10 feet away on a 51'' screen is fine unless you have laser eyes. Sitting at your desk 2 feet away TVs look like ass while trying to do anything computer related.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Maybe you guys have just used shitty TVs. Read through that AVS thread /shrug.