Ukraine is on goddamn fire and Putin wants to 'Make America Great Again'

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
14d 7h 3m
Reactions
14,164 643 0 0
I thought you meant actually on fire. Like Russia was on fire last year. The fucking GROUND was on fire.

Welcome back the the CCCP, Ukraine. It's like you never left.

Yep. Ukraine is fucked.

Tuco

Janitor of the Realm
23d 11h 21m
Reactions
42,318 2,562 0 0
I saw vice's 20m documentary on Ukraine's protests a week ago. From what I saw it's extremely civil on both sides. I saw the protesters take city hall and use it as a staging area and the police used very non-violent measures to attempt to take it back but failed in the end. I can't imagine the kind of force that would be used if a protest happened in even a small city in the US that took over city hall but it'd probably end in a lot of deaths on both sides.

I don't know much about Ukraine or the protests in general, so I don't know if the non-violent response from the police is because of respect for the protesters in the establishment or respect for the protesters in the police force.

Malakriss

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reactions
2,533 251 0 0
See, Kiev is tearing itself to shreds right now, but since we're kind of burned out on protests, riots, and revolutions at the moment, it's being treated below-the-fold news. Somehow, the fact that over a million people are marching, camping out, and battling with Ukraine's increasingly authoritarian government is barely making a ripple behind such blockbuster news bits as bridge closures and polar vortexes. Yes, even though protesters are literally building catapaults and wearing medieval armor and manning flaming dump trucks.
WTF why do we not have video of this.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
14d 7h 3m
Reactions
14,164 643 0 0
I saw vice's 20m documentary on Ukraine's protests a week ago. From what I saw it's extremely civil on both sides. I saw the protesters take city hall and use it as a staging area and the police used very non-violent measures to attempt to take it back but failed in the end. I can't imagine the kind of force that would be used if a protest happened in even a small city in the US that took over city hall but it'd probably end in a lot of deaths on both sides.

I don't know much about Ukraine or the protests in general, so I don't know if the non-violent response from the police is because of respect for the protesters in the establishment or respect for the protesters in the police force.
The mexicans tried to storm a police station down here about a month ago. Probably didn't make national news (I hope it didn't.) No deaths, but the police busted out swat riot gear and started beating on some spics. Official line is that the spics started throwing rocks first.

I think it was just a lot of people looking for a fight, myself.

Heylel

<Donors Crew>
2d 11h 7m
Reactions
361 19 0 0
I saw vice's 20m documentary on Ukraine's protests a week ago. From what I saw it's extremely civil on both sides.
It apparently stopped being civil over the weekend.

Tuco

Janitor of the Realm
23d 11h 21m
Reactions
42,318 2,562 0 0
I'll have to check it out tonight.

One of the most extreme protests in the last few years was this small one:
Bahrain Army Shoots Crowd of Protesters | Military.com

I didn't follow what happened in Bahrain but in that video a small group of protesters are marching in the streets and then fucking tanks open fire on them.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
14d 7h 3m
Reactions
14,164 643 0 0
Oil and gas pipelines.

Putin will send in the tanks if he feels like he has to. He's proven that he will and he's proven that nobody is gonna do shit about it.

1 million protesters is actually a whole heap of protesters.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
<Donors Crew>
10d 21h 13m
Reactions
2,198 469 0 0
I feel sorry for Ukrainians. They've always been in a shitty spot and no one has ever really cared much about them. I did a bit of traveling in Ukraine years ago and and I've met several Ukrainians there and elsewhere, and I had nothing but positive interactions on every occasion.

Eomer

Knight of the Realm
Reactions
259 37 0 0
I feel sorry for Ukrainians. They've always been in a shitty spot and no one has ever really cared much about them. I did a bit of traveling in Ukraine years ago and and I've met several Ukrainians there and elsewhere, and I had nothing but positive interactions on every occasion.
Them and the Poles really got fucked in terms of their geographic location between Europe and Russia. Everytime Germany, Russia or someone else gets uppity, the Poles got steamrolled.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
9d 11h 31m
Reactions
931 94 0 0

Getting all types of medieval of there.

Falstaff

Trakanon Raider
4d 49m
Reactions
580 86 0 0
Them and the Poles really got fucked in terms of their geographic location between Europe and Russia. Everytime Germany, Russia or someone else gets uppity, the Poles got steamrolled.
That's why so many Poles live in the U.S.

Eomer

Knight of the Realm
Reactions
259 37 0 0
Yup, a lot in Commonwealth countries too, because the Polish forces got rolled in to the British army or whatever during WW2, and were then given free passage to Commonwealth countries after the war since, you know, they didn't have a country anymore. That's how my soon to be 100 year old grampa ended up here. Somedays I wish he'd picked Australia, but then I think of my last interaction with an Aussie and change my mind.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
14d 7h 3m
Reactions
14,164 643 0 0
Yup, a lot in Commonwealth countries too, because the Polish forces got rolled in to the British army or whatever during WW2, and were then given free passage to Commonwealth countries after the war since, you know, they didn't have a country anymore. That's how my soon to be 100 year old grampa ended up here. Somedays I wish he'd picked Australia, but then I think of my last interaction with an Aussie and change my mind.
If you lived in Australia you would currently be bursting into flames.

Embrace the snow, snowbro.

colossalFISH

Knight of the Realm
2d 18h 47m
Reactions
84 0 0 0
Wasn't like 90% of Warsaw completely destroyed in the war? Poor Poland, they seriously got buttfucked in the war big time.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
<Donors Crew>
10d 21h 13m
Reactions
2,198 469 0 0
See? Even now, in a thread about Ukraine and its suffering, people are ignoring it and talking about Poland instead. Poor Ukrainians!

Heylel

<Donors Crew>
2d 11h 7m
Reactions
361 19 0 0
A friend who's been there told me earlier that calling it "the Ukraine" is apparently insulting. They think it sounds like you're just talking about a region of Russia, instead of a country. It's like saying "the South".