Underrated Bands

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Blind Melon is a band that I think is extremely underrated and up there with AIC, Tool, Sublime, and RATM as my favorite 90’s bands . No rain is probably their worst song but the one everyone know them by. Check out some better songs(IMO) below. What are some other underrated bands.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not sure they were. Blind Melon seemed to be generally liked by anyone that's heard of them.

Maybe fewer people have heard of them than other bands. And didn't that guy off himself in the mid 90's? Which is a real shame.

Sterling

El Presidente

I think a lot of the bands mentioned are more underappreciated and don't have as wide as an audience as they probably should but are all well acclaimed by people with more than a passing knowledge of them. Which I think is a bit different than underrated and includes the bands I linked as well.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To be fair, not many bands were panned but have developed a following. Well, except Led Zeppelin in the early days. And Phish. And maybe grunge bands before they got really popular.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, not many bands were panned but have developed a following. Well, except Led Zeppelin in the early days. And Phish. And maybe grunge bands before they got really popular.

Old King Crimson reviews for any of their shit other than their debut are pretty hilarious. Especially Rolling Stone despised them and wrote some funny stuff. Lots of that 70s rock like Pink Floyd and the Zep you mentioned ended up being criticized for being too over the top / arrogant / narcissistic etc, the criticism of it is largely what spawned punk and thrash and probably even new wave and other less flashy stuff that happened in the early 80s (til the cycle rolled back over to hair metal in the late 80s lol)

gauze

Molten Core Raider
It trips me up to even think of Fugazi as underrated, not that you're wrong.. I just always attested it to Ian McKayes refusal for merchandising.. but he is up there as an absolute fucking legend. I wasn't into Minor Threat much when hearing it, but riding off the backbones of Bad Brains, and a few high school friends. I was educated pretty quickly. It's like not knowing who Chuck Schuldiner and being a fan of death metal..

I guess in the same sentiment, I have that with Joy Division. Despite the data waves graphic design being pretty popular/recognizable, it feels like no one really knows Unknown Pleasures or Closer. I usually end up being the person who ends up thinking about what New Order would have been like if Ian Curtis pushed on. They/He seems so instrumental to a lot of music that comes after him/them.. granted New Order is legendary to their own right too. Could be wrong, and it's just my age. Ian Curtis is definitely one of my highest ranking vocalists, amongst people like Eric Burden.

To a much lesser extent, i'm a bit frozen on time with Death from Above.. but still an album I love esp for a two piece... I have yet to get around to check their new stuff over the last 10 years, but it felt like they never got the recognition esp after the drama/legal issues w/ LCD Soundsystems front man, and the bassist ended up running off and making MSTRKRFT.

Further down the extent, during a much more weird time when MSI was cool and because my mind is still blown.. but I learned this year that this frontman is the same guy from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero.. the weirdest realization.. Home was one of those songs that I think everyone has heard.. but Imarobot was one of those car ride home in 9th grade with friends.

/shrug I love bass.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Quarashi! They only had one big hit in the US, Stick Em Up, which I think was a misrepresented them as much more Rock than their actual style. They're an icelandic Rap band. To me they are the beastie boys with some more rock elements mixed in, with a lot of instrument based production. If you watch the NBA you'd know their song Mr. Jinx.