Underrated/Overrated Video Games

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Underrated:
Jurassic Park Arcade 1994

You used to see this in every Chuck E. Cheese restaurant back in the day.

The game was more like a forced perspective ride at an amusement park.

Probably the best video game based on the JP franchise, if not the most fun to play.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Underrated: World of Final Fantasy. This game is tremendous. The battles are pretty simplistic and it is never particularly challenging, but I love the way it re-creates so many classic Final Fantasy locations with a diorama-esque look and dream-like aesthetic. The soundtrack is also suitably mystical. So many of SE's modern projects feel low-effort or botched, while WOFF feels like it has way more effort and care put into it than it actually called for. It was supposed to be a fun little tribute game and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the last five years.

Underrated: Terminator Salvation, the arcade game. While it doesn't get my motor running the same way T2 The Arcade Game did, this is still a pretty fantastic light-gun game. It's totally different from the console TS games and features some machines that didn't make it into the final cut of the movie, like the proto HK Tank. The only downside of it is that it's expensive, and you need like $30 in quarters to actually beat the game. Still a fun time, especially with a second player (which makes it much easier).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Underrated: Solar Jetman on NES. Early game made by Rare. Your spaceship would land on different planets and you had to contend with Newtonian physics as your little pod traveled around the caves on the planet and you tried to extract parts/resources. Some planets had insane gravity and you needed strong boosters to lift stuff out, but low gravity planets could be risky because hauling a heavy object could cause it to slingshot around if you didn’t manage its momentum properly. For the time period, it was very ambitious.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Underrated: World of Final Fantasy. This game is tremendous. The battles are pretty simplistic and it is never particularly challenging, but I love the way it re-creates so many classic Final Fantasy locations with a diorama-esque look and dream-like aesthetic. The soundtrack is also suitably mystical. So many of SE's modern projects feel low-effort or botched, while WOFF feels like it has way more effort and care put into it than it actually called for. It was supposed to be a fun little tribute game and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the last five years.
I've been meaning to try this game, thanks for the positive review

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Overrated: Games I don't like.
Underrated: Games I do.

Example: Elden Ring is overrated, since I found the lore and storytelling below average, and the game mechanics repetitive and a bore. Exploration was ok, but invisible walls in the middle of roads piss me off.

• 4Faggotry
  • 3Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd say this game was criminally underrated but considering they brought it back like 20 years later I guess it's not:

I don't understand why no one would make a modern version of this game.

The most overrated game is obviously GoldenEye because it sucked ass compared to Quake 2 with a 3D card. :)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's hard for me to cite any overrated games, because it's like...who is overrating it, and do they matter?

I used to think FF7 was pretty overrated. It caught on with me a lot more in the late 2000's. Elden Ring is my favorite game, but it might be a little overrated I guess, IDK.

What comes to mind when I think of overrated games is the general AAA game sphere. There have been a bunch of those that I saw plastered everywhere and yet didn't have much fun with when I got them. Things like Jedi Fallen Order, AC Valhalla, Uncharted 4, Last of Us.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Overrated: Eve Online. Sorry, but where is the game except the autistic excel farming and crafting sim? Battles my behind. Who brings more stuff wins, perdiod.
Underrated: Harvestella. Great story, mediocre mechanics, excellent genre mix.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Overrated: Games I don't like.
Underrated: Games I do.

Example: Elden Ring is overrated, since I found the lore and storytelling below average, and the game mechanics repetitive and a bore. Exploration was ok, but invisible walls in the middle of roads piss me off.

Citation for the invis wall in a road? Just curious, never heard this one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Underrated: Pathologic 1 (Classic HD version). Russian-made first person... game. Got it through a humble bundle years ago or I'd have never tried it, it's got the weirdest and best and most trippy atmosphere / music of any game I've ever played, think I have at least 100 hours in it through multiple playthroughs.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am going back a ways for this.

Underrated: King's Field for the Playstation.

It was the precursor to all of the fantasy 3D games and was one of those games that once I started playing, I binged the hell out of it. It was a game that rewarded exploration. It had great weapons and magic for the time.

• 3Solidarity

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
How about Myst? I get it, it was graphically innovative when it came out. It was probably the first CD based game many of us had.

Did you ever actually beat Myst? Do you know anyone who played it for more than a few hours? I’m sure someone did, I didn’t. There were simply much more engaging adventure games of the time period even if they didn’t have CD graphics. Yet 30 years later Myst still gets mentioned here and there.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Citation for the invis wall in a road? Just curious, never heard this one.
There were two blocks I hit (I dont have zones or bosses memorized).

First, killed the boss guarding the main city at level 40ish, maybe 50s, right after mostly clearing the Academy (minus the last boss) but it wont let you into the city until the meteor drops on the one zone and lets you into the underdark area (or kill the hard boss on that big sand island, dont remember which).

So, proceeded to clear the underground area and kill that sand island boss, got into the city and made it to the other side of the city w/o needing to kill a boss. Ran up the hill to the mountain zone, and boom, invisible wall at the arches at the top of the road. So, I quit, as I found the rest of the game was long past stale.

• 1WTF

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
There were two blocks I hit (I dont have zones or bosses memorized).

First, killed the boss guarding the main city at level 40ish, maybe 50s, right after mostly clearing the Academy (minus the last boss) but it wont let you into the city until the meteor drops on the one zone and lets you into the underdark area (or kill the hard boss on that big sand island, dont remember which).

So, proceeded to clear the underground area and kill that sand island boss, got into the city and made it to the other side of the city w/o needing to kill a boss. Ran up the hill to the mountain zone, and boom, invisible wall at the arches at the top of the road. So, I quit, as I found the rest of the game was long past stale.

Interesting, thanks. Out of curiosity, what types of games do you tend to like, and/or what are some of your favorite games?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
For recent:
Underrated
The comparison to kings field is misplaced but in perspective only, REALLY wish this game wasn't a rogue like and a sprawling RPG it nails some of the elements that make kingsfield great. Highly recommend it if you like dungeon crawls and weapons with stats and mods, on sale for 5 bucks right now as well.
Overrated:
Counter strike, terrible in so many ways.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Underrated: Summoner 2 on ps2. The first one wasn’t very good, and I think that stopped a lot of people from trying the sequel. I really enjoyed the characters, locales, gameplay in the 2nd one but have only ever ran into one other person who played it, and that was a few weeks ago.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Underrated: Sacrifice from 2000.

One of the more creative games I've played. Never really played anything else quite like it. It suffered a lot from being out the same year as Deus Ex, Diablo II and some other stuff.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users