US hotels - apartments

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Meatus_sl

shitlord
For an upcoming trip to the US, I'm looking for some decent affordable websites to look up hotels, appartments and car rentals.
First for a week in NYC, than 2 weeks in LA and LV area. Cheap hotels directly with AC are also welcome!
Ofcourse I googled first but with the amount of websites you get thrown at you it gets cluttered pretty fast.

Thanks in advance!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I use Priceline quite often with the "name your own price" option and regularly get 50% off the commercially listed prices on hotels. Only problem is you can't be too picky about what hotel property you end up in and you pretty much need to be inflexible in your plans unless you want to pay them for cancellation insurance. You still get to pick your general area and it works out well most of the time. Only way to book hotels for me.

I hear Hotwire is equally good but I just use Priceline. For full set of tips and tricks and forums for all the US states with threads on which hotels people won and how cheaply, visit:http://www.betterbidding.com/

Priceline does have car rental too but I've never tried it. They push the hell out of it once you win a hotel bid though so maybe just start with hotel then compare their packages with retail.

If you are going super economy you could try couch surfing I guess. Bigger cities like NYC do have hostels but they aren't nearly as common as what you are used to in Europe. There's ways to find apartments rather than hotels but I can't help you there.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I would browse tripadvisor.com -- this place comes with reviews of every single hotel. Love this.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been usingHotels.comfor a while now. You earn a free hotel stay every 10 nights reserved through the website.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Avoid hostels in NYC...

But you may want to look into airbnb.com. You basically rent space in someone's apartment. Depending on what you're interested in, it's anything from renting a couch, to a bedroom, to the whole apartment. Tons of offers available in NYC - I just looked and found a small bedroom near union square for $55/night. Actually pretty awesome, but I'll end up staying with a friend instead.

Meatus_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I think I'll be able to find something from these sites and compare a bit.