VALORANT - Riot Games

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Announced.

Here’s what we think it takes for you to trust a game enough to invest: 128-tick servers, at least 30 frames per second on most min-spec computers (even dating back a decade), 60 to 144 FPS on modern gaming rigs, a global spread of datacenters aimed at <35ms for players in major cities around the world, a netcode we’ve been obsessing over for years, and a commitment to anti-cheat from day one.Shooting in VALORANT is precise, consequential, and highly-lethal - we want you to win on your skill and strategy alone.​

Video:

Reddit:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Press kit stuff is making the rounds, here's a copy-paste from pcgamer.

-------------

Here's a quick rundown of each type of ability characters have:​

• One ultimate ability - This powerful ability requires multiple charges to use that are earned from kills or completing objectives (like defusing the bomb). It might take three rounds or more before you have enough charges to use yours.
  • One main ability - This ability is automatically usable each round. How many times and how often you can use it varies between characters.
  • Two purchasable abilities - Each character has two extra abilities that require charges bought from the store at the beginning of a round. Think of them like grenades in Counter-Strike, an optional item that gives you some extra utility in combat.

Valorant Characters

w4HNzMZzBNB9KmwuagmsA4-650-80.jpg

(Image credit: Riot Games)

Phoenix
Phoenix is an aggressive character who excels at rushing into combat and using his fire abilities to push other players around.

Abilities:

• Hot Hands - Throws a fireball that covers a small area in flames after a short wait or when it hits the ground. These flames damage your enemies but heal you.
  • Blaze - Summon a wall of fire that blocks vision and hurts anyone passing through it. The wall can also be bent when casting.
  • Curveball - Throw a flashbang that curves around corners.
  • Run it back (ult) - Marks your current location and starts a short timer. When the timer expires, or if you die, you respawn at the marked location with full health.
RkN57hHurr7r7cH5ebNCYo-650-80.jpg

Jett
Jett is an agile soldier all about outflanking enemies and taking them out with quick, precise ambushes.

Abilities:
  • Cloudburst - Throw a smoke grenade that obscures vision wherever it lands.
  • Updraft - Launch yourself upwards after a brief pause.
  • Tailwind - Dash a short distance in whatever direction you're moving.
  • Blade Storm (ult) - Wield several throwing knives that deal moderate damage and kill on headshots. Getting a kill replenishes your daggers and you can choose to throw them one at a time or throw all remaining daggers in a short-ranged burst.

AQpCNbNQ3T58pH6SikR6W-650-80.jpg

Viper
Every shooter needs a fighter who loves the smell of their own noxious gas, and Viper is Valorant's. Her abilities also use a secondary resource called fuel.

Abilities:

• Snakebite - Fire a projectile that creates a pool of acid.
  • Poison Cloud - Throw a gas bomb that emits a cloud of poisonous smoke at the cost of fuel. You can retrieve the gas bomb and throw it again after a short cooldown.
  • Toxic Screen - Creates a line of gas emitters that can be activated to create a wall of toxic gas at the cost of fuel.
  • Viper's Pit (ult) - Creates a poison cloud that blankets a large area, letting Viper easily pick off enemies trapped within it.

2tJLwSMhmuXSUkMtrSLs9-650-80.jpg

Sova
Valorant's resident bow and arrow guy has abilities that help you track enemy movements.

Abilities:

• Shock Bolt - Fires a bolt that radiates damaging bursts of static energy on impact.
  • Owl Drone - Use a pilotable, flying drone to scout the map and fire darts that reveal enemies.
  • Recon Bolt - Fires an arrow that emits sonar waves that marks and reveals nearby enemies for as long as it remains in place (can be destroyed).
  • Hunter's Fury (ult) - Fires up to three energy blasts that pierce walls and travel the length of the map. Any enemies that are hit take near-fatal damage and are revealed to your team.

bZXuvKXCeHfzN3ZyULJQNo-650-80.jpg

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Cypher
If you like spying on your enemies, you'll like Cypher. He's an expert at luring enemies into deadly traps or revealing their movements.

Abilities:

• Trapwire - Place a tripwire between two walls that restrains and reveals enemies who cross it for a short time. Can be retrieved and reused.
  • Cyber Cage - Places a trap that, when activated, slows enemies who pass through it. Cypher can also detonate the traps, either one at a time or all at once.
  • Spycam - Place a remote camera that can be manually operated to fire tracking darts at enemies.
  • Neural Theft (ult) - Steal intel from a dead enemy, revealing the location of their allies.

Brimstone
Brimstone brings death from above with a range of orbital weaponry that bombards the map, creating smokescreens or damaging enemies.

Abilities:

• Incendiary - Throw an incendiary grenade that coats an area in flames.
  • Stim Beacon - Select an area to call in this beacon that gives any player nearby a boost to fire speed.
  • Sky Smoke - Use your map to call in multiple smokescreens that block vision.
  • Orbital Strike (ult) - Call in a deadly orbital strike that strikes a targeted area repeatedly over several seconds.
2FzdDmJfmMUkJizgXMajkW-650-80.png

(Image credit: Riot games)

Sage
Sage is Valorant's resident medic, able to revive downed allies or impair enemy movements.

Abilities:

• Slow Orb - Throws an orb that creates a zone that slows any who pass through it, preventing them from jumping and emitting a distinct noise when they move through it.
  • Barrier Orb - Creates a large, impassable wall.
  • Healing Orb - Heals you or an ally over several seconds.
  • Resurrection (ult) - Revive an ally to full health after a quick delay.

CCAD2aFpC3CdeEYkYcNxL5-650-80.jpg

Omen
Omen likes to play mind games by teleporting around the map, striking and blinding enemies.

Abilities:
  • Paranoia - Launch a shadow clone in a straight line that inflicts anyone it touches with blindness.
  • Shadow Walk - After a delay, teleport a short distance.
  • Dark Cover - Throw a stealthed orb that explodes into an obscuring sphere of shadow once it reaches its destination. Can be charged to increase its maximum distance.
  • From The Shadows (ult) - You can teleport to anywhere on the map, but it takes a few seconds to complete. Enemies can see a "shade" at your destination and cancel your teleport by killing it. After teleporting, you become invincible for a short time.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I mean, it could have been RIP Counter-Strike but everyone is going to bitch about ults, abilities, and there being a 'right' group makeup.

I love that it only took like 20 fucking years for someone to realize that this is a gametype that people want to play.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
My quick take: Overwatch style characters in a CSGO environment/objectives.
Really it seems more a spiritual successor to Team Fortress 2.

I played the shit out of TF2.

Seems like they are taking the best systems from each game. CSGO econ / objectives.
OW / TF2 stylization / characters / abilities.

I like that it's stylized, but the crazy particles that completely obscure view seem jarring at first. Probably not as bad while playing though. I guess it's their take on smokes (CSGO), but much more flexible. Since maybe not all characters have a vision-impairing ability.
And they already offer some characters that can mitigate the effect.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This feels tailored made for the Asian markets - any success it has in the west is purely icing on the cake.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Sudden Attack still has as many or more players than CS and Overwatch yea, and that shit is what 20 years old?

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You're right. I haven't :D

Hah Np :) Yeah the Asian market with free to play shooters (Which unfortunately are constantly hacked) have brought in tremendous revenue. The market is definitely there. I tihnk at one point Cross Fire had 680 million active players (Most of them in the Asian market)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bet this flops as bad as Lawbreakers.

• 1Worf

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
There's no way it flops. Question will be how many of the big streamers stick with it, and also how big does the esport scene get.

Every big streamer today plays Shooter games, but they are spread out among a bunch of games atm. Wait till every single one is in this + any of the LoL streamers, it's going to be bigger than when Apex forked out $$$ to them all.

Shroud, Doc, XQC, and others are basically without a primary game atm. If they latch onto this the streaming #s will be through the roof.
Ninja is already complaining about everyone wanting to move to this game .. lol (will try to get a VOD if I find one).

Edit:
Every team is ready to play this.

젠지 이스포츠 | Gen.G Esports on Twitter

T1 on Twitter

Rogue on Twitter

Origen on Twitter

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
More footage:

Also 3rd or 4th-hand info from an alpha tester (sounds legit):

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't expect a 2020 release. Open beta in May then? I don't think I'll give up OW for it, but I can't wait to play it. If the matchmaking is decent I may stick around playing it. Matchmaking is key for my boomer ass.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
They keep saying the right things that just makes me too excited.

I'm curious if Overwatch will have anything to respond with and if Counter-Strike is even phased.

Gameplay does feel like its missing something, maybe a little stiff on the animations at the moment? I kinda feel its like how Overwatch looks to Paladins.. but I am happy to see that one-taps are a thing and jiggle peaking is advantageous. It's been my bread and butter since playing cs back in the day.

I'm hoping with the abilities not being as forefront, and aiming still being important.. will we see really solid support play from players that aren't worldclass aim in top seats.