vampire survivors

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
came across this one a few weeks ago via youtubers.

$3 indie. Early access. was holding off mentioning it due to EA. and when released some questions on the arguably stolen art. haha. the sprites were taken from a free library apparently. used by another project. and certainly questionable how legit they were in the first place. then, the splash art, was taken from artstation, not sure if paid for or not.. but, THAT art traced Bayonetta art unquestionably...

stupid addictive. old school atari like gameplay. (based on a mobile game. magic survivors. but its WAY more fun with keyboard controls)

you control movement. get weapon upgrades via exp, and boss kills. rng on them. the weapons then auto attack. you don't directly control the attacks.

oh, and there is a free version on Itch.io. this version is several version out of date, and not being updated. Steam version does have new weapons/characters/map.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Played about 30 minutes and almost refunded it (yeah, even for $3).

Then I played a bit more and it was fun...except I "beat" it (lasted 30 minutes) after a bit over 2 hours total playtime.

Can't really convince myself it play anymore. In fact, if you can make it to 20 minutes, you're basically good until the end. Which is kind of disappointing as you're just waiting for the game to end.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I lied, played a bit more yesterday. I wish the 30 minute thing wasn't such a bullshit mechanic. Apparently there are two weapons you can get that can help you make it past that point, but you don't always have them as an option, which is also bullshit.

Anyway, I had a super good one last night. Upgraded whip by minute 11. 4 upgrades is definitely the most I've been able to get, although I was a bit annoyed to not get a candelabra (still haven't been able to upgrade the axe ever). From about minute 15 or so (whip & two wands) in this one I was so strong I could just walk directly into giant stacks of mobs and input so much DPS I was effectively immortal.

Untitled.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

its very atari/arcade like. too long of a single run would hurt the game design.

Deeper upgrades, and powerups would be cool. but, even then, I wouldn't really extend the game period much. I'd ramp up the difficultly within that 30 min faster.

like, you mentioned playing it once, and being done. yeah, its really not that kind of game. its that old school atari like game play, where you play over and over. taking different upgrades, set challenges for yourself.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Game reminds me of an old arcade game I use to play as a kid. Robotron 2084.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
vamp-surv-01.PNG

My best run. Gives a pretty good idea the DPS ranking of evolved weapons - knives not shown but they're about on par with the Wand ie. a little worse than Santa Water.

Saw a video of someone surviving to 39 minutes kiting / freezing 10 reapers with the clock lancet, but they killed half as many enemies and earned half the gold so... what's the point. Game lacks some depth after you've survived to 30 on both levels on hyper mode but I got 3$ out of it. Maybe more levels, weapons, and challenges in the future.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
View attachment 395352

My best run. Gives a pretty good idea the DPS ranking of evolved weapons - knives not shown but they're about on par with the Wand ie. a little worse than Santa Water.

Saw a video of someone surviving to 39 minutes kiting / freezing 10 reapers with the clock lancet, but they killed half as many enemies and earned half the gold so... what's the point. Game lacks some depth after you've survived to 30 on both levels on hyper mode but I got 3$ out of it. Maybe more levels, weapons, and challenges in the future.
1643400742487.png

My best so far, good times.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
vampire-survivors_01282022.png

My best so far. It's a fun little game - not sure how long it'll hold up, but for $3 I don't think I can complain.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Not a perfect game, but I'm enjoying it. I paid more for a taco at lunch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had what I thought was going to be an amazing run, but it really didn't want to give me Ebony birds until the very very end (had a level 1 one early, but couldn't max it til about min 28). 5 evolves, and I had hoped the last would be a fire wand (for 6), but then I saw Lancet so I figured I'd try to kill the Reaper. It didn't do shit to him and I still had a 30:03 run.

Was pretty crazy though. The last little round with swarms of vampire bats just got absolutely demolished. I had a giant circle around me where nothing could touch me.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Extra projectiles are OP as fuck, surprising perhaps no one. Luck is way worse than you'd think it is? It's got to be such a piss poor base chance that even getting +100% doesn't seem to do much and you'll be lucky to get 1-2 bonus chests in a run.

Capture.PNG

Daidraco

Wild how the gold between all the different runs you guys have posted is vastly different.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea depends on if you have 50% more gold from the passive upgrades heh. I refunded mine and mostly maxed out the rest of the good stuff.

Might be possible to hit level 100 in non-hyper library if you roll better weapons than I did? Wand and knife just stop being viable in the last couple minutes unfortunately and you'll get overwhelmed.

Capture.PNG

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
View attachment 395352

Yea knives and wand are both completely cucked by lack of pierce. Whip just doesn't cover enough area, was kinda hoping it would attack in a cross or X shape or something when it evolved. Garlic damage falls off mega hard as well but the knockback aura is basically immortality so garlic is still S tier imo.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I was able to bug out the guy at 30:00 - he got stuck on the 2nd stage at the top and I was just wailing on him. He must have survived about a million damage before at 31 minutes a 2nd one spawned and wtfpwned me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea knives and wand are both completely cucked by lack of pierce. Whip just doesn't cover enough area, was kinda hoping it would attack in a cross or X shape or something when it evolved. Garlic damage falls off mega hard as well but the knockback aura is basically immortality so garlic is still S tier imo.
I still like whip just for the heal.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
You can get more then one evolve a run? I always seem to just max out and then get gold bags from chests.