Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks to the infos and reccomendation in here I tried VG again and so far it seams very nice.
I still had 500SC on my account so i could buy a BARD unlock potion from Store. Right now the price is reduced from 750 to 499SC
smile.png
That was kinda perfect for me and i really wanted to play that class some time!

I do wonder tho what happend to my old 50 cleric which i played in 2007 or something. I checked on both servers but he is not there. Did they wipe some characters at any time?
I couldn't find him on none of my two Sony accounts, but maybe i have third..
rolleyes.png
oh God I hope not. I loved my 50 cleric on Sartok. He looked like Santa and was decked out in APW gear!!!

smile.png

rolleyes.png

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not 100% so you might want to check in game with a high level bard, but I am pretty sure that INT boosts song damage and basically all of the bards abilities that are not melee. You end up with some curse type spells which do quite a lot of damage over time, and there is the shout and a few others. So cranking INT will help that (99% sure). Your first two stats should always be str and dex though, you can max those and just put the remainder in INT. I currently have the remainder in VIT on my bard, for the regen, but it's no use to me so I plan on switching it to INT as soon as I can be bothered travelling to the respec guy.

As for the trainer thing, usually they will give you the base damage of the spell, and then when you purchase the spell and look at the tooltip, it tells you the damage that will be done with your gear, stats, and bonuses. So usually when you look at a spell and it says 1k damage, you then buy the spell and it ends up like 1600 damage or whatever. But I have seen occasions when it's lower after buying it and I'm not sure why that is.
Yep you are definitely correct about the song/shout/curse damage.

ismaris

Wow, so I logged in for the first time since 2009 or so, and they have done a lot with the game. No crashes, lots of content, and the F2P thing grandfathered in all my leet APW gear. I might actually play this again. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does anyone have a link to any decent customized UIs? I have to be honest, I hate the default.

calla_sl

shitlord
Does the increase in spell damage % from int boost up bard shout and song damage? I just started playing a few weeks ago and was wondering why when I looked at the shout DoTs on the trainer before training them they would say something like 1k over 28sec but than when trained the tool tip would say only 630ish. I just figured the trainer version was some kind of tool tip bug.
int does help but from what i've seen, youre better off looking for buffs that add spell dmg. i'm not say load up on gear with spell dmg focus, but make sure you get stuff like diplo buffs, hyatet, etc

The only thing I felt kind of iffy about were the points I took out of vit as I lost quite a bit of energy regen but picked up a Wanderer's Ring from the AH which has a passive +10 energy/sec regen on it so I didn't have to worry about only having +8.
Yeah there are more items like that too which should help. I got a pair of rings from Hilsbury Manor in the lower levels which I still haven't upgraded at level 40 ish. It also might be worth splitting the points 50/50 between INT and VIT.

I am really enjoying VG
I might be missing some amazing area though.
Yeah I like it too. The content does thin out a bit in the 40+ areas, although there is still a fair bit. There are quite a lot of areas which are not marked on the map though, or on the rift map. Places like Isle of Madness and there is a dungeon near there (Rakashasa something), they were great XP for me in the late 30's and early 40's. It's weird because you can just stumble across places like this and end up with enough quests to give you an extra level or two, and yet most people would never know the places even exist.

Usually I do all the stuff on the west side of Thestra at those rift areas. I like the creepy environments there and there are quite a lot of quests. Usually around mid 40's I do what you said and try to get in Tricksters groups whenever possible. A good group that can charge through a dungeon like that, makes such amazing XP that it's hard to pass up.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think Brad's problem is a lot of what happens to many actors and actresses (well anyone with one good idea) and that is he doesn't want to go down in history as a one-hit wonder or a one trick pony. However, some people make good livings and even go down in a lot of books for their single accomplishment and embrace that fact. I hope Brad is smart enough to realize the good and the right that he's done. I think he tried to live up to expectations with VG and everything he saw running around chaotically in his mind. I think keep Brad at arms length is a great move for EQNext. I also think that VG's good parts is just having people after the fact moving a lot of bad out of the way to see the good things Brad and early devs had in place.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Tehatamani area was a blast with a group flipping temples etc, also spent lots of time in the swamps soloing for swamp armor pieces post-40. Those fish-looking mobs near the isle of madness, on the coast side Dragon's backbone, dropped the Xennu Energy Shards for the lev cloak, jump boots, water breathing mask, etc. I farmed those items on 2 toons heh.

Yeah some of those special items are amazing. There was an invisibility item for monk which I really wanted and of course the underwater breathing mask and some others. I didn't have the patience to do it though, mainly because I'm 6 boxing... but maybe someday when I'm 50+ I'll go back and wupp everything. But I love that there is content like that all over the place, and exploring rewards you because you stumble across this stuff and you wouldn't ever find it otherwise.

The dungeon I mentioned was cool too, and that had some interesting gameplay. For example there were some nasty Beholder mobs that do huge AE damage and totally wiped out my group in one or two quick blasts. The only way I could work out how to win... was to just tank it with my tank, and leave the entire rest of the group way back out of range. So my monk basically just had to do nothing, and then I had to nuke hell out of it with my sorc and druid. But it also seemed to get healed by certain types of magic (I think Arcane?) so I was restricted in what spells I could use too. It was tricky as hell.. especially 6 boxing it because I couldn't even spam shurikens or whatever without neglecting the others.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm messing around with this over the holidays and I'm wondering how far I can get as a solo necromancer, will I really be missing out by not boxing? I don't really want to go to the trouble of two boxing but I guess if I won't be able to find groups or something I might try it.

Edit: Fixed the UI Issue.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure about the necro as far as soloing top end stuff, I only played one to 20 or so. That said if you want to solo pretty much everything play a disciple. I played one for almost two years and outside of the raid stuff and the flying mount quest mobs I could solo pretty much anything. I used to solo the whole xennu dungeon. swamp bosses and pretty much any all caps named I could find. Get the invis and lev clickie from the xennu shard quests and you are pretty much set. Had a full set of faction armor and mount from killing 6 dot named at will. Go Kojan for the racial heal you wont regret it. Being able to go anywhwere with invis/fd and summon in your group is also invaluable. Just my 2 cents.

ismaris

Yeah disciples are best soloers in the game. As a cleric I could survive anything indefinitely, but my DPS was too low to kill stuff in a timely fashion.

Martyr_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know how long it takes to level up to 55, whats the exp curve? So far my bard is 16 and i only played a few hours. I remember it took me like 2 weeks to get to ~20 in vanilla Vanguard.
It looks like they made leveling really easy to please the noobs. I was planning to buy a 3month sub (dont want to play crippled, where i can't use rare or heroic items), but if level is so easy now, i'm not sure

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone know how long it takes to level up to 55, whats the exp curve? So far my bard is 16 and i only played a few hours. I remember it took me like 2 weeks to get to ~20 in vanilla Vanguard.
It looks like they made leveling really easy to please the noobs. I was planning to buy a 3month sub (dont want to play crippled, where i can't use rare or heroic items), but if level is so easy now, i'm not sure
There is a lot to do and a 3 month sub probably wouldn't even be long enough to do everything.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
They wipe VG servers or something? I know when I quit I had a 50 goblin shaman and a 30ish Orc DK. I just finished DLing the game and it says I have no char at all. I know Im using the right log in because i went to the SoE website and used the same log in and it showed my history with EQ and EQ2. I kinda wanted to dick around on my boat with my bear shaman.
frown.png

frown.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
With accounts being as old as retail EQ; Im sure you just have your logins mixed up. My characters are still there from launch.