Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
The DB work isn't that bad but you need to know the packets and what data you need to store so just a DB expert wouldn't be as much help as actual developers.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
VG emu happening? Kew

I very regrettably never played it before

I'm always sad when I hear about a pal missing Vanguard.

You would have liked it a lot. EQ non-instance world design on steroids pitted against a richly advanced WoW combat system, with a better feel than WoW's combat system by leaps n bounds. Deep rich complex classes. For a non-skill based game, its hands down the most advanced we've seen and will ever see. Nobody else is going to get it right or even try to create a regular MMO again. Look at how TESO just threw a cut-rate Skyrim combat system in and it still made money. VG is one-of-a-kind.

The genius of the game was in its balance. I was trying to explain the other day to someone that balance is so nuanced you can't possibly recreate something like this again. The solo content and group content could be done by certain classes, certain classes could kill extremely high level stuff and high ranking mobs. Different classes had different methods. I can't even articulate it, it was just really good balance and had those classic EQ "wow thats kind of OP" moments with different people on different classes figuring out different PvE methods.

Every class you played (shaman, cleric, BM, necro, bard whatever) you were like "damn this class is really good too. how is that possible? who the fuck designed these fucking classes and this combat ability system? How did they come up with all these great combat abilities? Give me a name"

The genius of the balance was why I was so worried earlier in this thread about DB values and data. There was a certain experience people expect in Vanguard and you can't recall all that stuff from memory.

No knock on Brad-- but Pantheon is dogshit comparatively. Its a step backwards. The WoW hybrid EQ World was the game people wanted to play. Its too bad they had to launch and rush it to market.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Explains balance by talking about how certain classes could be very OP, interdasting.

Diversity of experience, maybe, but not balance.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Diversity of experience,.

Yeah that's better. Melee couldn't do jack shit but I still had fun teleport stabbing shit on my BIS twink Rogue. It was EQ balance.

Thats how its supposed to be anyway I don't want to see homogenized classes. Those kind of melees would break my immersion. The fact Dreadknight, Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Rogue couldn't do shit jives with what people expected for difficulty.

Those are all traditional group classes ala EQ balance.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Yeah that's better. Melee couldn't do jack shit but I still had fun teleport stabbing shit on my BIS twink Rogue. It was EQ balance.

Thats how its supposed to be anyway I don't want to see homogenized classes. Those kind of melees would break my immersion. The fact Dreadknight, Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Rogue couldn't do shit jives with what people expected for difficulty.

Those are all traditional group classes ala EQ balance.
Monks were insane with good gear. You could solo a lot of stuff and when you boxed a healer you could kill tower nameds on that bridge, solo nameds in pota and do those boring ass grind quests solo. I long for a similar monk class ever since.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Monks were insane with good gear. You could solo a lot of stuff and when you boxed a healer you could kill tower nameds on that bridge, solo nameds in pota and do those boring ass grind quests solo. I long for a similar monk class ever since.

I'm definitely skipping around eras in that post.

For example clerics didn't really break ass until that "Cleric Update" finished their specialization abilities. Your post actually made me realize how unfinished the game was at launch. It was bordering on a Stage 4 Alpha I don't think we can call that a beta. Hell, no raid content even in the game of a raid game. Not even one Nagafen!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The class balance dev was problem fired in the parking lot with everyone else .

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Classes were similar to EQ. Some couldn't do shit alone, others were crazy powerhouses solo, like disciples and later monks.

• 1Like

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here is a little video of crafting so far which still has a way's to go.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users
oh wow you implemented crafting? i never really got into crafting until towards the end, but the crafting quests were so great to complete.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Classes were similar to EQ. Some couldn't do shit alone, others were crazy powerhouses solo, like disciples and later monks.

DK should be at the top of the soloing in VG list. As a DK I solo'd the armor bosses pre APW and Hegnarian, once APW dropped I was able to solo X77 or whatever the first raid boss solo as well.

Xinux Xinux hopefully you guys fixed the issue where crafting with a trade window open wouldn't consume materials. It wreaked havoc on the VG auction house and the SoE devs never cared.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
was never a fan of crafting in VG lol, think I used a program to autoclick the icons for me. it was a good system but hard

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just a noobie question, but what are you using to edit the Vanguard files? (for example you can open certain stuff in UE4)

Dracula's Crew

Molten Core Raider
Because my Ranger was so overpowered it allowed me to solo until the game went dark. Massive ranged combos, powerful melee chain abilities to finish things off when it got too close. I even feel like the "fun" class quests like getting my bonded pet were developed more than other classes. Absolute diversity of experience.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
For whatever reason I've been jonesing for this game lately. Hope the Emu project comes together