Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Defensive target was amazing, it made so many new mechanics available. Buffing people, healing people based on combo attacks. So good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Defensive target was amazing, it made so many new mechanics available. Buffing people, healing people based on combo attacks. So good.

Also paved the way for newer games to have this concept, like Warhammer Online. It's actually a significantly major change to how tab targeting MMOs work in all aspects. However, it's an amazing one especially for PVP MMOs.

I really hope WoW someday adopts that in their UI by default. It's a huge QOL feature that I am unsure as to why it hasn't been implemented. Imagine being able to track a focus target defensively and offensively without having to keybind for both of those targets by name or index.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also paved the way for newer games to have this concept, like Warhammer Online. It's actually a significantly major change to how tab targeting MMOs work in all aspects. However, it's an amazing one especially for PVP MMOs.

I really hope WoW someday adopts that in their UI by default. It's a huge QOL feature that I am unsure as to why it hasn't been implemented. Imagine being able to track a focus target defensively and offensively without having to keybind for both of those targets by name or index.
I don’t really have to imagine it because Vanguard did it, not sure what you meant by that.

It was a fantastic design and all future MMOs should have it. Even party based single player games or ARPGs could benefit from this. Being able to buff or heal your NPC / friends without targeting them would be welcomed by everyone I think.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I don’t really have to imagine it because Vanguard did it, not sure what you meant by that.

It was a fantastic design and all future MMOs should have it. Even party based single player games or ARPGs could benefit from this. Being able to buff or heal your NPC / friends without targeting them would be welcomed by everyone I think.

WoW *still* doesn't have it, and it'd be a huge QOL change for PvP healing - especially on stuff like Paladins and Disc Priests. WoW has this huge focus on competitive rated arenas/RBGs, it would be a game changer for accessibility for competitive pvp

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
WoW *still* doesn't have it, and it'd be a huge QOL change for PvP healing - especially on stuff like Paladins and Disc Priests. WoW has this huge focus on competitive rated arenas/RBGs, it would be a game changer for accessibility for competitive pvp

Less talk and more networking with current Darkpaw employees.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Less talk and more networking with current Darkpaw employees.

I'm good. They would require me to move to SD and take a pay hit plus move to an expensive area. I like my body not charred by wildfires

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
We are still working on the EMU, just wish we had another C++ coder to make it go faster. We have some really dedicated folks plugging away daily on quests, npc placement and pathing, diplomacy, and crafting recipes. There is slow but steady progress on bringing it back to life, and we are all pretty committed to staying the course until its done, no matter how long it ends up taking us.
Just wanted to quote this over to this thread. I had forgot people were working on the VG EMU. Would love to see if there were any progress updates posted here.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was under the impression they stopped it long ago too. I hope it comes out before Pantheon.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was under the impression they stopped it long ago too. I hope it comes out before Pantheon.
Just wanted to quote this over to this thread. I had forgot people were working on the VG EMU. Would love to see if there were any progress updates posted here.

We have a Discord server VGOEmulator that all of our SVN commits are automatically pushed to. It should be public. All of us are there pretty frequently to answer questions.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
We have a Discord server VGOEmulator that all of our SVN commits are automatically pushed to. It should be public. All of us are there pretty frequently to answer questions.

Sweet, thanks! Wish I could help in someway, but I am no developer.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ive been messing around on it but not sure I will continue. So much is broken its hard to play. Crafting seems completely pointless. Mostly though, getting a new class ability and it not working makes it difficult to want to log back in.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ive been messing around on it but not sure I will continue. So much is broken its hard to play. Crafting seems completely pointless. Mostly though, getting a new class ability and it not working makes it difficult to want to log back in.
I know how you feel man. That’s how we all felt playing Vanguard!

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider

We're only in Pre-Alpha 6!

• 1Worf

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pre-alpha 1 more like :p

Think at least half of my rogue abilities straight didnt work along with almost all of the basic racial abilities.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still have more faith in the emu devs than that fat fuck Silius.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played it for a few hours tonight. You can turn aggro off and explore all the areas for the most part. I checked out Stiirhad, Pankhor Zhi, Old Targanor, and a few others I never got to see. The Stiirhad dungeon is freaking huge, I had to port out of it after a while cuz I got lost.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Didn't some Vanguard devs effectively say this project was impossible? They gave some pretty good reasons why, too.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played it for a few hours tonight. You can turn aggro off and explore all the areas for the most part. I checked out Stiirhad, Pankhor Zhi, Old Targanor, and a few others I never got to see. The Stiirhad dungeon is freaking huge, I had to port out of it after a while cuz I got lost.
There was a dungeon we went through when my guildies and I did an alt leveling group together. It was in the middle of nowhere in the side of a mountain. I can’t even remember what mobs were in it but the place was built as if giants or ogres lived there, everything oversized. It was so fuckin big and no one even really knew it was there. Man that was so much fun.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Didn't some Vanguard devs effectively say this project was impossible? They gave some pretty good reasons why, too.
It's effectively impossible to recreate the game as it was, yes.

Emulating the netcode and such? Perfectly acceptable. It just won't have the exact data or combat formulas, might be missing spawns, etc. A lot of that is lost to time, or locked in Jenn Chan's server closet over at Daybreak Games.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah there were tons of random dungeons that were still in a beta state. Still irks me that instead of completing them they did the dumb Halls of the Pantheon update which 90% was farming the awful SoD island.

Once Silius was no longer the lead dev I think they did City of Brass as the last content update which was actually good. But the damage had been done at that point.