Wacom

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking at moving up to an intuos and was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the 4 and the 5, other than price. This being my first intuos I'm sure the 4 would work for me unless there is a really compelling reason to go 5. Also use will be for illustration and digital painting, no plans to do any photo editing

xrg

Golden Squire
I have an Intuos 4 since whenever they were released, and never saw any reason to upgrade. I think the only major functional difference is the Intuos 5 has some touch gesture support. Even the pens and things can be shared between them otherwise.

Really either one is going to work extremely well for drawing, it's more what superficial things (touch, LED displays, design, etc) look more or less appealing to you.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have an Intuos4 that I use every day at work. HATE using Photoshop without it now, one of the best computer peripherals I've ever purchased.

Only difference with 5 is multi touch support. Not really necessary, though the finish on it is quite nice.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've had an Intuos 4 for ~5 years now and It's been great. I always use it with photoshop so it's become second nature. Unless you're a professional or use photoshop more than an hour a day I would recommend the cheaper Intuos 4. Pressure sensitivity is excellent and controls are smooth. Just make sure you update drivers when you install it.

Edit, if money wasn't an issue I would buy this...

xrg

Golden Squire
Some people on various art boards I read have said theYiynovaare pretty good, and they're way cheaper than the Cintiqs. I still haven't checked one out myself though.

Video demo of one I found:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Can iPad or Android tablets not pull this off with a stylus of sorts?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a stylus for my android tablet for impromptu sketching but it is hard to get the same results as you would from a drawing tablet, the stylus that works for iPad ect. Have a large soft rubbery nub that doesn't give as much precision or pressure sensitivity. That being said I have seen some amazing art created on ipads and android tabs.

xrg

Golden Squire
Yeah, I've seen some people use them and even just finger paint. I don't have one, but I've always assumed they probably couldn't handle print res stuff, and the applications are fairly simplistic compared to desktop apps. I'm sure eventually they'll quit focusing as much on ebooks and make a decent portable digital sketchpad of sorts. I'm kind of surprised Wacom hasn't already done it by now.