Water Heater flooded basement.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So wake up to no hot water. Go into basement. Rushing water from the center flue stack or whatever of the hot water heater. Killed the water. Utility room is bare concrete with a drain that doesnt seem to hardly drain for shit, was a little clogged with lint from A/C line I never saw since the pipe obscured.

So In surrounding area I've got some painted walls that are showing bunching/wrinkling of the paint, then the carpet on other side of walls are a swamp. Oh and as I type this I guess I should turn off the gas, though letting it heat whats in there might be nice for one last shower before starting to deal with this shit.

Freak out restoration company or should I just start with wet vac and a carpet shampoo-er to sop up the carpets? Going to shop for a new water heater I guess, will Home depot etc delivery usually offer haul away? Things going to be heavy I'm guessing even if I'm able to drain it?

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would start with shop vac first to remove as much water as you can quickly. No reason to pay the restoration $75/hr to wet vac you basement for 6-8 hours if you can do it yourself. Once you get that up as best you can, then you probably want to call them in (or call now and schedule them for tomorrow or Thursday). You will need lots of warm dry air circulating in the area to dry everything out, and they have specialized equipment for the job. Not sure where you live, but right now I'm guessing warm and dry air is not something you can just open the windows to for outside. Maybe get a space heater, fan, and dehumidifier going in there if you have them. Once it's all dry is when you can start checking for damage and mold.

If you go the carpet shampooer route, I've had good luck using an anti-bacterial soap to prevent a mold problem in the carpet and pad.

Our Home Depot does not do the haul away, but we have large item pickup for trash once a week. Although when I swapped out my water heater and put if by the curb, the dumpster divers picked it up within 2 hours. I guess they salvage controller parts and some copper from it.

Sludig

Doesn't help fairly high humidity in area from my aquarium sump in the next room.

Should I space heater the room for warmth and the fans. Or am I better off despite the cold opening basement windows w/ fans to allow the cold but dry outside air in/out?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Man, my family went on a vacation and came back to a concrete basement filled 6 feet high from a busted water heater. I was like 5-6 so I just went and played with my legos.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
My dad always drilled in my head, to turn off the main water line coming into the house whenever we left for more than a day. Guess this is why.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
My dad always drilled in my head, to turn off the main water line coming into the house whenever we left for more than a day. Guess this is why.

Yep. I turn off if I go on vacation.
Takes 1 minute and saves me from stress.

Sludig

Or at least love to the water heater etc....

This happened overnight while sleeping though. Other than replacing it before failure not much i think ii coul have done. Draining it pretty clean so not like it was a ton of sediment build up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is why I'm against carpet and sheet rock in the basement. You probably want to figure out how high the water goes on your drywall and cut out the wet stuff asap or it will creep up the walls. You may wind up just ripping it out completely but if you let the water keep moving up you won't have a choice.

The water heater's not that heavy if you get the water out of it. 2 people can move it pretty easily unless it's all full of silt and scale.

• 1Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't help fairly high humidity in area from my aquarium sump in the next room.

Should I space heater the room for warmth and the fans. Or am I better off despite the cold opening basement windows w/ fans to allow the cold but dry outside air in/out?

You can actually use the cold outside air to your advantage. If you open the window and pump the room full of the cold dry air, then close the windows and heat the area with a space heater, the cold dry air become even dryer. So you may have to do a few cycles like that to exchange the air, heat it up, then swap it out for fresh air again. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
that sucks
luckily for me, my basement cannot get more than 3" of water in it (walk out basement.) i've had the water heater break once. but i caught it before a lot of water got released (had less than a half inch of water on ground)

replaced it with a tankless which - knock on wood- has worked great for the past 8 years.

my parents went away on vacation about 10 years ago and their Fridge water filter line broke....15 thousand dollars worth of damage to the floor/basement.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is why I'm against carpet and sheet rock in the basement. You probably want to figure out how high the water goes on your drywall and cut out the wet stuff asap or it will creep up the walls. You may wind up just ripping it out completely but if you let the water keep moving up you won't have a choice.

The water heater's not that heavy if you get the water out of it. 2 people can move it pretty easily unless it's all full of silt and scale.
But a finished basement is like the highest return, outside of adding a new room
/Sadface

I wouldn't mind an unfinished basement atm, or at least panelled ceiling, so I can reach pipes

Sludig

I hate this house because it's a half basement. So I feel cramped in it. It's one fairly good sized I guess bedroom with a almost pantry very shallow but wide closet and crawlspace entrance. Tiny hallwall from stairs to this room, the utility closet w/ the ac/heater/water heater. A bathroom which was very nicely done at least. Then a door to a ... dunno half bedroom sized unfinished area which is taken up entirely by the 125g sump and related stuff for my massive saltwater aquarium above it and the dog run since the bitches destroy smaller crates.

Mixed bag so far. Dry wall paint on one side has a couple shallow bubbles and a crinkle/run. Seems to be drying out ok with a fan blasting it. Was only a single panel that was getting water splashing from the top of the water heater, rather than wicking it up from a pool on floor. Theres a micro closet under the stairs with untacked/padded carpet (but attached to the main run so I cant remove easily) that sucks since it like curves under into a little 2 foot high area, so I've got a fan tucked back there. Fish room is used to getting some floods and is whatever. The bedroom (for us just storage and some excersize stuff) however.

I'm torn on how bad it is. Wall seems fine since it was floating. Carpet is mighty heavy when I pulled it up from half the room. Unsure how much water vs just carpet, seemed actually fairly dry (still damp) after the rug dr for a few hours followed by stanley steemer pass over my wife ordered while I was still stuck at work. I'd pull carpet from whole room and hallway but it seems to be all one piece? Quickly becomes unworkable in size/bulk/weight. The pad doesnt feel sopping wet but I get visible water if I pinch.

Thinking I might try to run the steam vac sucking over it for more water? I'd just tear the pad all up except the issue of challenging to get the whole floor cleared and up due to one piece? Needing help to get 2 mattresses and some other bulky stuff up the stairs since theres already no room in basement and main floor has a fair amount of stuff already. Aside from 3-4 good sized house fans, I went and got the home depot top down carpet blower, one of the snail drum blowers, and the uber 29g dehumidifier. I was trying to cycle ac/heat and now thinking just heat + dehumidifier doing it's thing. I'm going to actually try rolling pin testing the pad to see how much water moves when I do that. Might spend an hour or so trying to push the water our to the sides, run the vac over it, then go ahead and drop the carpet down with the snail running underneath it, the top down out in the hallway carpet and pray from there.

Sludig

And if anyone curious, heres what a local hobby forum guy who owns multiple props and did some restoration I guess said. And he's spoken on lots of home reno/build stuff before......."

Extract the carpet, rent a rug doctor. Roll it back and trash the pad. Put carpet fans under the carpet so it billows. This will also dry the cement. Rent at least 2 dehumidifiers. Any walls that are completely soaked cut a hole in them low and high and put a carpet fan on the lower hole. Turn the heat up and run your a/c. If you can't do both at once cycle back and forth. If you have vinyl just strip it out, ceramic should be ok.

You can check sheet rock with a moisture sensor which is actually a continuity tester so if you have that setting on a multimeter you can skip buying it.

You have 72 hours from first water before mold sets in to get it completely dry. Don't skip steps, if it seems daunting claim insurance and get a restoration company in today before they get busy

Forgot to mention pull all baseboard from the effected areas. If you have a free floating slab you can skip cutting holes into the stud cavity. If you pull the baseboard and there's a gap between the slab and the lowest 2x4 you have free floating.

If not every other stud cavity should be ventilated in a saturated wall. There's special equipment for that but I'm not sure what you can actually get a hold of.

"""

Some didnt apply since I have only one little area of drywall wet and floating wall.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When my Mom's rental house flooded the insurance was actually pretty good. Unfortunately once the carpenters got in there they found that the house was basically a piece of shit, which she kind of knew and it wound up just being a tear-down, but the insurance would have covered things pretty generously if the house had actually been fixable.

But a finished basement is like the highest return, outside of adding a new room
/Sadface

I wouldn't mind an unfinished basement atm, or at least panelled ceiling, so I can reach pipes

Yeah, I understand why people do it, it's all that extra square footage, but it WILL flood sooner or later and if it's finished it can easily cost 5 figures. I love my unfinished basement. All I have down there is storage, laundry, and a workout area and it's great to be able to get to all the plumbing and wiring easily, plus when it floods all I have to do is shop-vac up the water that I can't get to the floor drain and get on with my life. If I had a family though, it would be tempting to put a bedroom or two down there.

Sludig

My favorite house was a rental. GF now wife hated it, but I think she couldnt seperate hating my coworker and the town (she managed to start shit w/ some locals) But to me it was perfect. Kitchen opening to garage, spacious living room with a short wall seperating open air straight shot stairs. (Vs all these fucking tight corner stairs most have here that is hard to move anything big down). Full unfinished basement, besides my massive aquariums was storage. Had water spills and just did like you said. Created a computer desk area, couch, big screen on area rug away from the tanks. Was perfect.

Besides the open living room, had a kinda odd room set aside by some french doors, but otherwise far end of house was just a short zig zag hallway leading to bed/bathrooms all on that side of the house.

I was going to make a thread but I'll day dream here. With houses going from like 200, to 250 by the time we bought and now selling for 370. I was kinda hoping this year to try and take that equity find some land a few miles of the way in bum fuck nowhere ~1hour from work. And build a new single story + basement, maybe a nicer system built home, or kinda became enamored with these garage homes. Basically steel structure partitioned off into home/garage. Had hoped might get something basic done for 300 and pocket 100k for retirement, but I think even in the sticks in Colorado prices are going up as bad as in town. I'd love to leave for Utah/Idaho etc but she has nieces as surragate kids since we wont have any.

Sludig

21122585_1716007308452269_4331315328885873556_o.jpg
20989147_1716007571785576_1415138524484261097_o.jpg
21016000_1716007355118931_3347809088271733712_o.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Sounds proof those walls in the loft, that huge airplane hangar of a garage is gonna echo like a motherfucker and any tiny bit of metal sheeting that isnt a 100% weather tight is gonna whistle like a son of a bitch in winds over 20 mph. In big wind, metal buildings like that rattle a lot, and if it ever hails, have ear plugs handy.

Also that guy has huge sodium lights, fuck that they make shit light and eat big electricity. get 220V high output industrial fluorescent, bulbs are expensive but last a long time and sip juice. And invest a couple grand in an electric scissor lift when you have to change a dead bulb.

that or buy a used forklift, you are gonna need it to get you furniture upstairs anyhow.

Last edited:

Sludig

Ya, was a rough example and far more grandoise in size to what I'd try. Ideally I'd want single floor everything, but wife is in love with 2 story, and does keep square footage down I guess.