We Own This City

spronk

FPS noob
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: We Own This City

Genre: Crime, Drama

First aired: 2022-04-25

Creator: George Pelecanos, David Simon

Cast: Jon Bernthal, Wunmi Mosaku, Jamie Hector, McKinley Belcher III, Darrell Britt-Gibson, Josh Charles, Dagmara Domińczyk, Rob Brown, Don Harvey, David Corenswet, Larry Mitchell, Ian Duff, Delaney Williams, Lucas Van Engen

Overview: The rise and fall of the Baltimore Police Department's Gun Trace Task Force — and the corruption and moral collapse that befell an American city in which the policies of drug prohibition and mass arrest were championed at the expense of actual police work.

spronk

FPS noob

trailer out today.

from David Simon (The Wire) starring The Punisher and Marlo from The Wire. About the rise and fall of a task force inside the baltimore PD and the corruption etc.

Only six episodes, debuts on HBO Max on April 25th. It sounds like its basically more The Wire.

gives me vibes of The Shield with Bernethal playing the role of Vic Mackey basically

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I thought 'we own the night' when I say the tag line. Hmm, more the wire'ish? Take my money once again, HBO.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This is trash so far.

It's too distracting seeing Wire actors switching sides or playing another cop

Plus it's already gone down the racist police brutality angle

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
ping pong cat GIF

Good or bad? I can't tell from this thread.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
The first episode was weird. It is full of BLM bullshit, but I did liked some scenes, especially the ending.
The Wire this ain't, that is for sure, but it still can be a good show.
Maybe, if you fast forward through one particular storyline.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A show can touch on racism and not be woke or about BLM. Corrupt cops exist and thats just one of the story lines.

• 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
A show can touch on racism and not be woke or about BLM. Corrupt cops exist and thats just one of the story lines.

There's nothing more tiresome than FOH big brain cretins labelling everything woke, and I'm the first to call that shit out. But come on, the racist white cop beating up on black folks is so eyeroll at this point.

I don't know the full RL story this is based on, but apparently the RL Hershl was in a Unit with 5 black cops and 1 other white cop that was stealing from dealers and re-selling - doesn't sound very "racist cop" to me

I also note that "not about BLM" is an absurd thing to say when the very raison d'etre of BLM is white cops killing black people

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I don't know the full RL story this is based on, but apparently the RL Hershl was in a Unit with 5 black cops and 1 other white cop that was stealing from dealers and re-selling - doesn't sound very "racist cop" to me

Every cop we saw in the first episode is the same unit, the Gun Trace Task Force, Wayne was their leader, Hersl was a member, the 2 black guys they make us think are gang bangers before the flash back, that Sergeant who runs up on them. I think in real life there are like 8 total guys, like 3 or 4 white dudes, the rest black, all who had a very successful racket of planting evidence, beating up black dudes, and robbing drug and gun dealers (also overtime fraud, which was the joke when Wayne says "we're gonna need a lot of overtime"), all before it came crashing down cause some suburban cops really did find their tracker on the guy they were robbing's car. Since all of that was in the first episode, I'm interested to see how they unfold the story over the next 5(?) episodes.

They actually were superman level cops until their downfall, cause, like the show said, post Freddie Gray, there was a work slowdown in Baltimore Police, except the GTTF kept fuckin trucking, cause if they weren't arresting people, they didnt have anything to skim. I don't think anything racist was attached to them, they just beat up and robbed black people, cause that's who lived in Baltimore. Assuming it goes through the things they were accused of doing, it will become more clear later why Hersl pulled over a well off looking black guy for driving while black.

• 2Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Even the white guy and his black partner, Poot from the Wire?
I am 99% sure everyone they showed us are people who get caught up in the arrests we saw at the end of episode one. Maybe in the 2015 flashbacks they are not yet in the GTTF, but i am again 99% certain they all are by the 2017 arrests.

They definitely didnt portray Hersl and Sewell as really part of the team in episode 1, but we barely saw Sewell and I think they just wanted to show us Hersl beating up a guy, cause that was what got eyes on him in this groups of cops, especially when the investigations began in 2015.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I am four episodes in, and find it entertaining for sure.

It's nice to see almost all the old cast of The Wire playing some parts in this.

Acting is good, plot seems a bit repetitive but I am willing to see how this ends.

• 2Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database