Well, now what?

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was one of those who were very hyped for Age of Conan. Absorbed all the information I could and longed for the day I could heal faces with my Priest of Mithra. Then came release and even though I trodded on for 80 levels, the game lost its appeal rapidly. Friends began to whisper about Warhammer Online, but I was skeptical. I warmed up to the thought though, and a friend convinced me to buy it. Played for a week, didn't even get to max level.

This made me cynical, even jaded. I no longer felt eager to purchase a new MMO and devote my time to it. Rift came, didn't bother with it until I was handed a free trial (made it to level 5 or so). TERA came. Never even tried it.

Then it appeared. The one beacon of light on the horizon, the one game that would be the saviour of all previous MMO failures: Star Wars. Being a ridiculous fan since a huge age (read maybe 70 different books, comics, extended universe lore etc), I was so unbeliavably stoked. Bioware's previous incarnations we're really amazing and I couldn't wait to see what KOTOR Online would bring. Was invited to a beta weekend and it just made my blood pump harder. This was FINALLY going to be a game to surpass WoW.

Then we had release and we had a huge list of members who wanted to play! Everyone that quit the guild long ago came back and we had a blast leveling, playing warzones and whatnot. Yet something was amiss. People started logging in less and less. After reaching max level on my character I made a new one, and then when my third character was almost 50 I was thinking, what is the point, really?

So I quit. Starwars lasted about 2 months for me, and now I'm back to being a cynical bastard. I am playing pandaria and I do enjoy it quite a bit. I still feel like the WoW raid game is the best that has been offered, but it is growing old.

I really, really would like to feel the experience of discovering a new world again, as I'm sure a lot of you might as well. That's why we have 50 different topics of different games, some released, some in pre-production and some hardly even announced.

SO. What is the point of this rambling thread? Won't this idiot shut up already?
Well, I wanted to ask all of you, what are you looking forward to now in the MMO world and why? Is there anything on the horizon that might make a positive impact on the MMO world or is there just more games that will go to a Pay to Win bandaid model within a month due to game longevity being that of the titanic?

Really, I'd love to know. I don't think I'll obsess as much about a game like I did when I was younger, but it would be cool to see if the industry hasn't completely given up on us

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kitsune

Stopped reading when you said, you liked SWTOR for two months.
I tried so hard man, I really wanted it to stick. I don't think the game is horrible per say, just that there's no reason to continue once you've played up to 50
frown.png

frown.png

• 1Solidarity

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
You can get a couple months worth of playing out of it if all you do is stories and level. I mean, not solid months, but off and on. I leveled all of the empire classes to 50, messed around with pvp, but only did a few Ops before I went, well fuck this. If you're not playing the story, the rest can get fucked. The end game is not there, though I have to be honest and say I didn't really expect to play much end game; I sort of had an inkling it wasn't going to be anything to keep me.

Where is our stand alone offline SWTOR so I can just see all the storylines? I mean shit, I did their filler fodder for all the levels in between my story missions! Take those out and I'd probably pay another 20 bucks for the ability to relive them anytime I wanted.

Viktor

Molten Core Raider
I don't get people 'tricked' into a sucky mmo.

I really, really would like to feel the experience of discovering a new world again, as I'm sure a lot of you might as well.
There you have it. Going into a game with this what you want to get out of it pretty much ensures that once you've seen the world the game will get old really fast.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Honestly I'm not looking forward much to any MMO's coming out. EQNext maybe because they want to "try something different", which is good, but we just don't know anything about it so I'm not going to get totally hyped on it.

I really just want to see something new in MMO's
I don't know what, but every MMO feels the same to me and I don't feel like I'm playing my character. I just feel like I'm playing another game just to get through.

I do however want MMO's to go back to class diversity and certain classes can do shit FAR better than others. That's not to say make the class irrelevant to different playstyles.

Just.. something new and not gimmicky. I wish some of these companies would push innovation through instead of just making another clone of a game that is already out just because it's done well recently. You can't tell me the only big thing to come out of MMO's the last few years has been like.. what, the crafting system in gw2? Pets in MoP?

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Your first MMO got your virgin self who was easy to impress. Just other people running around in the game with you and walking up and talking to them was amazing.

Your subsequent games got the jaded you. All the easy things meant nothing to you now, now you wanted quality. Making a quality product is a lot harder to do. You also got older and more sophisticated. You are much harder to please than that wide eyed 17 year old who walked into an MMO for the first time.

It's easy for us to buy into the hype because we've had that first blush experience, which even grows stronger over time, and we think we can have it again.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Meh. Vanilla WoW and most of Burning Crusade (only cause in BC I loved my guild) was absolutely amazing and will forever be in my heart, but I don't want to play those games again. If I wanted to play those games, I'd get on a private server and quit again in a month. I feel like currently we're just stuck in this stupid fucking hole in the industry where it's about quantity and trying to remake a huge hit, not about quality and trying to push limits.

Then again, I guess it is a growing business and what currently brings in money doesn't need to change in the eyes of the company.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
It seems strange when I think about how much I focus on end game content now. When I first got EQ I gave zero fucks about end game. I was happy just to explore and defeat Emperor Crush. I wonder when all the end game obsession really began and why.

• 1Like

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Honestly, I feel similar to many other posters- What you want is to have your cherry popped again. Freak, I'd love it. I was so excited, literally, sat on the edge of my seat, waiting for the boat to come to Freeport because I hadn't bound in Kalimdor, and... I was stoked. I was worried, interested... It felt intense. If you tried to give me anything like that now, I'd punch you and walk away. I don't think that the feeling will ever come back man.

LodyR_sl

shitlord
I think his point was it took you 2 entire months to figure out it wasn't worth playing.
Exactly, SWTOR held me for one week.

I lost my virginity to EQ, but I know, that no other game will bring back that gaming experience. Took me a few years to realize tho. Played basically every MMO since then, but only got a max level char in WHO, Rift and now GW2. And Guild Wars is the only game I still play after I got to max level.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Well, I wanted to ask all of you, what are you looking forward to now in the MMO world and why?
Jack and shit. Outside of a few bright spots, the collective genre of MMO's have been bird shit on the windshield of my expectations since almost day 1, and there's no lighthouse beacon on the horizon. WOTLK xpac has been the last solid bit of MMOing I experienced.

kitsune

I think many of you hit the head on the nail with the "cherry popping" metaphor. I consider my first MMO to be Graal, but more properly I guess you could say WoW as I got into the beta of it really early. I think the concept of endgame exists today because the games are designed in such a way. The levels are treated as something you have to do before the 'real game' begins, which I think is bad design to start off with. I never played Anachry online, but my friends did and that game had an absurd amount of leveling content, something which I would like to have, a real sense of constant progression rather than hitting level X and then equipping various colored loot to make you arbitrarily stronger.

I mean, for those who played such MUDS as Aardwolf, I'd love the ability to simply remort at max level, start over and multi-class or w/e. Everything just follows the wow model and it's making me go ZZzZzz...

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Really easy way to make sure you will never play a MMO again - never play during launch, always wait for 3 months and then ask around here. Everyone will tell you it's a terrible game you shouldn't waste your time on. In the unlikely event that this doesn't happen, feel fry to try it out.

• 1Like

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I agree with the virgin MMO metaphor. There's nothing like the first time.

I think the biggest problem I had is moving from a rabid, hardcore MMO player (EQ, DAOC, & even WOW) to a dirty casual. Deep down I still want the same crack addict feeling I had from early EQ and it's not going to happen again. I am an ex MMO Junkie and I'm angry about it.

Deep down I want that 'fix' and the desire to play 120 hours a week. It ain't going to happen again because it does not matter how good the treadmill is or the world vs world since I've changed.

The current gen of MMOs won't really ever do much for me as it's been mined dry, and I don't see a big leap in technology on the horizon. I'm also not sure if I'm more concerned about never having that early MMO feeling again, or being sucked into hardcore mode once again. It's actually nice not feeling obligated to plan, raid, or schedule my life around a game.

W

Wrathcaster

Planetside 2 is about the most fun I've had in years, but if story is your thing then you're going to be disappointed, unless your version of story is PUSH PUSH FUCKING PUSH CAPTURE POINT A FUCKING GET THAT GODDAMN ARMOR COLUMN FORMED GET TO THE WAYPOINT YOU FUCKERS YOU CAN FARM EXP LATER WE GOTTA CAPP THISSS SHITTT AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Which, at this point, is more than enough for me.

Point is, it definitely has that novel "cherry popping" feel to it. The first time you see 200 people fighting at once with aircraft laying down whoopass and tanks exploding and charging in with 50 infantry... Yeah, that's a new one for me in an MMO.