Wellness/Fitness Gadgets (and apps)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I've just started commuting to work by bike after a long time of taking public transit (biking wasn't feasible). I bought the bike a couple days ago and have been biking about 5 miles each way to work -- I'm already feeling more in shape. Anyway, this is fairly encouraging and I'd like to keep track of what I'm doing. I like seeing data visualized and I think that'll help me stay motivated beyond the initial momentum.

I've read some reviews and articles about Fitbit, which is a pedometer with some extra features. It really seems like a cool gadget that logs how many steps you take and uploads it to a web tool that visualizes the data. It also comes with a bunch of social and game elements (e.g. badges). So it's great for jogging/running. (For sake of completeness, you can also add information like weight in the online app, or buy wifi scales that automatically log the information for you. And it tracks your sleep, although I currently do that with the free SleepBot app for Android.) Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to handle cycling at all and instead asks you to manually input that data into their website. Boo for manual input.

For now, I have a free Android app (Strava Cycling) that tracks how fast I'm going and my route on a map. This is pretty cool, but it doesn't integrate into any other wellness app. It seems designed around beating others' time (e.g. racing) rather than general fitness.

Like probably just about anyone on this board, I'm a tech geek who loves all sorts of gadgets. I figure I should take my health at least as seriously and geek it up a bit as well.

Are there any devices more suited for people who do cycling? Should I get a Fitbit even though walking is not my primary method of exercise? I do walk quite a bit and I always take the stairs... I just don't see how that information would be valuable for tracking my health. I have a scale and could manually input my weight to get a more complete picture. Not sure I want to spend $120 to have that automated and from what I understand the body fat tracking of scales is pretty inaccurate.

Psypher_sl

shitlord
For my running I use RunKeeper which lets you select the activity type and then it tracks it and uses GPS to show your route on a map. It also has social networking integration, but I've never used it. Take a look at it, might be what you are looking for.

As for wireless scales, the one I use is from Withings. You kinda contradict yourself when you said "Boo for manual input." in regards to tracking your activity, but not for manually entering your weight? I'm at the point where I just like as much automation as possible. The nice thing about the Withings scale is that there's plenty of various fitness apps that can integrate with their site and pull the data from it.

My next fitness gadget will probably be a heart rate monitor that integrates with RunKeeper.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MapMyRide is a decent enough app, there are versions for other activities too like MapMyRun, Walk, etc. It has decent social integration both with FB/Twitter and built in friending/following, even for the free version. You're right Strava is based around beating other people's times and shit.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/the-angry-si...y-strava-sucks

There's actually a lawsuit right now against Strava after some dude killed himself trying to regain his number one standing on a eye watering fast descent.

http://allthingsd.com/20120619/gps-a...yclists-death/

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I like my Endomondo app for biking. Keeps a good record of your distance/time. Just requires GPS/wireless signal to function properly.

fris

Vyemm Raider
have you tried Nike's run app? free version gives audio feedback (pace, distance, etc). Runtastic's free version doesn't from what I'm reading on the google play store

i'm not a serious runner, just a 3-5 miles when i get motivated. which w/ it being summer now, not that often w/ 90+ degree days. i've considered those wrist bands and can't pull the trigger on any of them. some say they track your sleeping, but it's more just motion sensing i think. i'm not sure i'd feel comfortable w/ a chest strap either.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone recommend a good heartrate monitor that you can plug into a smartphone? Gives you a better idea how many calories you're burning during workouts. I'd prefer something that uses the usb jack instead of bluetooth as that seems really pointless.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I like my Endomondo app for biking. Keeps a good record of your distance/time. Just requires GPS/wireless signal to function properly.
I also use Endomondo. On top of the GPS timing/tracking, you can manually enter in workouts such as weight training.