What book did you just buy?

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
Peter F Hamilton's short story anthology "Manhattan In Reverse", ?0.99 for anyone in the UK buying the Kindle version
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I went in to finally buy Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
I walked out also with;
Republic, by Plato
Thomas Jefferson the Art of Power, by John Meacham
The Inferno, Dante Alighieri
Aseops Fables, by Plato
and bought a $7 book called Ice Dragon for charity.
all told it came to just under $60 at Barnes and Nobel.

I have heard nothing but good things about Ender's Game and need to read it before the movie comes out it appears to have some similarities to Evangelion and the forward of the novel heavily praises Foundation by Asimov which I read earlier this year and found to be absolutely brilliant, which is based loosely on the Decline and Fall of the Roman empire which is excellent as I am studying Greek and Roman history, and this transitions back to Plato and then to The Art of Power which is instantly gripping, I have only read the introduction and first chapter but I can tell it is very well written and more accessible than Revolutionaries by Jack Rakove which changes narrative far too often in the same fashion as World War Z which I also had difficulty focusing on.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just finished the last Avery Cates Novel "The Final Evolution by Jeff Somers. Back on White luck warrior cause I got distracted by game of thrones a while back while half way through it, then moving on to either Malazan or Way of Kings, unless I take to long and then I'll just go strait to the Wheel of Time finally if it comes out next month on time.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
I just boughthttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/infe...=9780307475534

I was browsing through the book store the other day after seeing Oliver Stone shill his new book. Stone's book is utter garbage and his supposedly controversial points (the role of Russia in defeating Germany in WW2) are non-starters for anyone not stuck in the Cold War. In fact, Stone's book comes across as a crappier version ofLies my Teacher Told Me.Hasting's book, however, is pretty darn even-handed. He looks at the things the allies and axis powers did well and poorly. Overall I'd rate it a must read for anyone interested in WW2 history and/or historiography.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
"No Easy Day" by Mark Owen.

This guy was one of the team leaders from DEVGRU on the mission to kill or capture Osama Bin Laden, by his own account he was the second person in Osama's room (just behind the point man) and was one of the people to actually open fire on Bin Laden.

The book has been really fascinating, though I understand there is some drama concerning it's release.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0525953728

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_1050.jpg

There was a big online sale so I bought this to complete my collection for Warhammer Roleplay 3rd Edition.

Absolutley no one cares because no one I know is a fan of the game, but I love it and it makes me happy goddamnit. So even though I'll probably never play and I'll just go through and read each one then set it aside to collect dust, I'm glad I have them and supported a good product.

Yay Warhammer!

rrr_img_1050.jpg

rrr_img_1050.jpg

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Absolutley no one cares because no one I know is a fan of the game, but I love it and it makes me happy goddamnit. So even though I'll probably never play and I'll just go through and read each one then set it aside to collect dust, I'm glad I have them and supported a good product.
I know what you mean, I used to buy the old Forgotten Realms pen and paper guides/books just to read them and enjoy the lore. How much did all of those run you if you don't mind me asking?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I know what you mean, I used to buy the old Forgotten Realms pen and paper guides/books just to read them and enjoy the lore. How much did all of those run you if you don't mind me asking?
Little under $200, with a retail over $400 or so.

Since I don't play and try to pinch pennies I ussualy just wait until one goes on sale for super cheap on Amazon and can get it for 40% off or so. But the actuall publisher went nuts and put them all out for 40-75% off for 3rd edition and just $5 a book for old 2nd edition backstock, so I pushed my resources a bit futher than I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Picked up Kevin Smith's Tough Shit yesterday and finished it this AM. Great read if you're a Kevin Smith fan, especially the chapter on how big of an ass Bruce Willis was during the filming of Cop Out, and his fallout with Harvey Weinstein.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Just finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. Liked it so much grabbed the follow up Meduim Raw.

Past few years I've been using the local library system to read books especially the fringe stuff that I wouldn't normally buy. I've been buying books for over 25 years and have kept them all and damn they take up a lot of room and every time I move it's a huge pia. I keep debating about going digital but I like the feel of actual books.

Anyone else use the library much?

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Just picked up the last three Pendergast novels from Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.Cemetery Dance,Fever Dream, andCold Vengeance. Still need to pick up the latest one from them that came out today.
Always enjoyed the Preston/Child books, I remember first reading Relic and Pendergast kinda stole the show and seeing the movie years later and had the WTF moment as they completely cut his character out.

I kinda hope they end it soon though, it's starting to drag a bit and I hope it ends on a high note instead of them dragging it out for 20+ books.