What directors do you trust the most?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Inspired by the overrated thread...

Was just watching the trailer for The World's End and realized that I would happily watch anything Edgar Wright directed right now without a second thought. He's directed three films and I loved all three. Shaun of the Dead was really good, even if I did love it less than a lot of people(too mopey at the end). Hot Fuzz was absolutely great from start to finish. Scott Pilgrim exceeded all my expectations, and they were pretty damn high(never read the comic), I love that fucking movie and stop to watch it almost every time I see it on.

This is purely movies he directed. He also helped write The Adventures of Tin Tin, which is wildly underrated. It's the best Indiana Jones movie of the last 5 years. He also produced Attack the Block, the best action/horror flick in the last few years along with Cabin in the Woods.

So, who do you trust? Not who has made the most good movies, or who do you think CAN make a good movie. Who do you see attached to a movie and instantly BELIEVE it will be good, just because it has their name on it. I've got more, but I'm leaving it at this one just to leave options.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Quentin Tarantino. Huge fan of his. Jackie Brown is his only film I don't think is amazing - and that movie is pretty damn good. I don't go to the theater often. I see maybe two or three movies a year, but I will always see a Tarantino film on opening day.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm probably must a huge fanboy, but I will pretty much try about anything from Joss Whedon, Zack Snyder and I have to agree about Edgar Wright his movies are awesome.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i guess its a case of "astro being astro", but i love the fucking hell out of Jackie Brown, ive probably seen that film almost as many times or maybe even more than Pulp Fiction. i bought it on blu ray and watch it every few months. its such a cool fucking movie.

id say the director used to trust the most was spielberg, his 70s through the 90s track record was pretty incredible. cant say i have a new guy. edgar wright hasnt steered me wrong yet, all his movies are brilliant. though he only directed 3 movies so far this new one will have me on opening weekend. Robert Rodriguez when he makes films for adults has been spotless, when he does kids movies, uh not so much. hes about 50/50 on that one.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I trust these kings to make great movies:
Coenbros
Aronofsky
Mendes
Fincher
Scorsese
Alex Gibney (documentaries)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, yeah I'll second Edgar Wright. Hot Fuzz was fucking hysterical, and I really liked Shaun of the Dead. I absolutely love parody movies, they are far and away my favorite kind of comedy, and a little part of me died in the 00s when hollywood just started shitting all over the genre.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
David Fincher (great example of good, solid hollywood director who makes great films all the time.)
and Joss Wheldon for fun movie.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Lynch
Wes Anderson
Aronofsky
Coen bros

When those guys make a movie I'm going to love it.

honorable mention:

Turteltaub
Tarantino
Spielberg

I probably won't love their movies, and I may not even think they're good. I will, however, be entertained.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ill go to the theater to watch anything from

Boyle
Nolan
Scorcesse
Anderson

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I forgot to mention this guy, Guillermo del Toro. not sure he has disappointed me yet.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Ridley Scott has never disappointed me

Gladiator
Blade Runner
Blackhawk Down
American Gangster
Alien
Prometheus

Juvarisx

Florida
Kingdom of Heaven was fantastic till the studio butchered it. I 100% recommend you watch the blu ray director's cut.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I agree with the above, while I haven't loved all his movies, it is a given almost everything he puts out has an even better directors cut.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Kingdom of Heaven was fantastic till the studio butchered it. I 100% recommend you watch the blu ray director's cut.
I quite enjoyed the regular version. I'll have to see the director's cut.

Re: the cut from wiki
An extended director's cut was released on December 23, 2005, at the Laemmle Fairfax Theatre in Los Angeles, unsupported by advertising from 20th Century Fox. This version has been widely praised; at approximately 45 minutes longer than the original theatrical cut, it is reportedly the version Ridley Scott originally wanted released to theaters. The DVD of the extended Director's Cut was released on May 23, 2006. It comprises a four-disc box set with a runtime of 194 minutes, and is shown as a road show presentation with an overture, intermission, and entr'acte; the Blu-ray release omits the roadshow elements, running for 189 minutes. Scott gave an interview to STV on the occasion of the extended edition's UK release, when he discussed the motives and thinking behind the new version.[37]

After the pitching of this film, studio marketing executives took it to be an action-adventure hybrid rather than what Ridley Scott and William Monahan intended it to be: a historical epic examining religious conflict. Fox promoted the film as an action movie with heavy elements of romance and, in their advertising campaign, made much of the "From the Director of Gladiator" slogan. When Scott presented the 194-minute version of the film to the studio, they balked at the length. Studio head Tom Rothman ordered the film to be trimmed down to only two hours, as he did not believe that a modern audience would go to see a three-hour-and-fifteen-minute movie. Ultimately, Rothman's decision backfired, as the film gained mixed reviews (with many commenting that the film seemed "incomplete") and severely under-performed at the US box office.
Fuck the movie and music industry. Seriously.

EDIT:

Alexander Siddig in Kingdom of Heaven is how I pictured Oberyn Martell in GoT.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah a number of Scott's movies are much better as a director's cut. I still don't think Kingdom of Heaven is quite on the same level as his best stuff though. Also some of those movies that I listed certainly aren't great, so he's kind of hit or miss.