What is Quantum Computing..

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This is a good video to get started. I like it because the professor explains Quantum computing at 5 different educational levels. Plus I found myself wanting to bone her by the end so that was a positive.

Great video to get a basic understanding.

My TL;DW : Quantum computing just means using Quantum bits instead of transistors. Quantum bits can be in more states than transistors. More states means the ability to have faster & more complex computing.

Quantum computing will excel at real-time simulations & calculations and is going to be worse at storing data for long periods of time due to limitations of holding Quantum bits in their state for extended periods.

--

Looks like we'll see Quantum computers as a data generator and then fall back to classic computers to store & analyze the data.
The average joe won't have a Quantum pc, but will use cloud-based quantum computers (can use them now apparently).

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Great video to get a basic understanding.

My TL;DW : Quantum computing just means using Quantum bits instead of transistors. Quantum bits can be in more states than transistors. More states means the ability to have faster & more complex computing.

Quantum computing will excel at real-time simulations & calculations and is going to be worse at storing data for long periods of time due to limitations of holding Quantum bits in their state for extended periods.

--

Looks like we'll see Quantum computers as a data generator and then fall back to classic computers to store & analyze the data.
The average joe won't have a Quantum pc, but will use cloud-based quantum computers (can use them now apparently).

I mean...duh!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I read the announcement google made about how their quantum computer solved a problem in a short time that owuld have taken years if not thousands of years the old way. Dumb question. How do they know it's solved? How do you check something like that if it would take that long via other methods? Probably just me coming from a world where everything has to be checked over and over every step of the way.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I read the announcement google made about how their quantum computer solved a problem in a short time that owuld have taken years if not thousands of years the old way. Dumb question. How do they know it's solved? How do you check something like that if it would take that long via other methods? Probably just me coming from a world where everything has to be checked over and over every step of the way.

First, do you believe Google?

Here's a great article on the methods used by Google:

The original algorithm put forth by a collaboration of scientists, including many on the current Google team, required a 72-qubit quantum computer to demonstrate Quantum Supremacy. Because the team couldn't achieve that just yet, they went back to the 53-qubit computer, but replaces an easy-to-simulate quantum gate (CZ) with another quantum gate: the fSim gate (which is a combination of the CZ with the iSWAP gate), which is more computationally expensive to simulate for a classical computer.

Quantum Supremacy may have arrived; useful Quantum Supremacy is still far off from being achieved. For example, if you wanted to factor a 20-digit semiprime number, Google's quantum computer cannot solve this problem at all. Your off-the-shelf laptop, however, can do this in milliseconds.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I can’t wait til we take selfie’s with it

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user