What to do when you're on the wrong side of the DMV?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
So I've encountered an interesting situation. Texas is a member of the Driver License Compact and as such driving records for all member states are put into the National Driver Record database. I recently received a letter from the Texas Department of Public Safety that my license could not be renewed because of a suspended New Jersey license.

What the fuck.

I have never been to New Jersey.

After checking my credit score and accounts to make sure I wasn't being bamboozled, I called the number on the letter only to find out it was the wrong number (it was the NJDMV at least). After being transferred a few times (apparently it isn't common knowledge who handles this stuff?) I finally get to a lady who gives me a phone number for Technical Support. I give them a ring and get a recording with no option to speak to a live person. It says, in no uncertain terms that I need to mail, fax, or email a copy of my birth certificate, social security card, current driver's license, and proof of residence at my current address, along with a case number.

WTF man.

I realize I don't even have a case number even if I wanted to send all of this information, so I call the TXDPS and they look into the NDR database and sure and shit, there isn't anything there either.

They "can't do anything else" and the contact I have in NJ is a fucking recording.

What do FOH?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So I've encountered an interesting situation. Texas is a member of the Driver License Compact and as such driving records for all member states are put into the National Driver Record database. I recently received a letter from the Texas Department of Public Safety that my license could not be renewed because of a suspended New Jersey license.

What the fuck.

After checking my credit score and accounts to make sure I wasn't being bamboozled, I called the number on the letter only to find out it was the wrong number (it was the NJDMV at least). After being transferred a few times (apparently it isn't common knowledge who handles this stuff?) I finally get to a lady who gives me a phone number for Technical Support. I give them a ring and get a recording with no option to speak to a live person. It says, in no uncertain terms that I need to mail, fax, or email a copy of my birth certificate, social security card, current driver's license, and proof of residence at my current address, along with a case number.

WTF man.

I realize I don't even have a case number even if I wanted to send all of this information, so I call the TXDPS and they look into the NDR database and sure and shit, there isn't anything there either.

They "can't do anything else" and the contact I have in NJ is a fucking recording.

What do FOH?

Go to your local DMV and talk to them. If they can't unfuck it try to figure out a case number and comply. All you can do. Welcome to a monolithic bureaucratic system.

I recently had some bullshit where they thought I didn't pay a thing so the sent a letter to my employer to garnish my wages. Thing is, i'm my own employer. Was a pretty lulzy situation that cost me about 3 hours to unfuck.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

What the fuck.

WTF man.

What do FOH?
how long is tx id? i think from memory my nj id was 16numbers long, while getting my utilities setup in ks, everyone couldn't believe the length, and since i redid it to ks license, it's only 8numbers

all i know is, if you're doing dmv shit from nj, you're fucked.

how fucked? i kept my pa plates when i moved to nj, cuz they wouldn't change the title over for some god damn reason. first one car was paid, the other was being paid (lein?) the amount of fax'in to get that done from out of state was stupid and silly, considering some ppl live in pa and work in nj anyway.

so i just kept my pa plates, kept paying 1$ to foward my pa mail to my nj address (usps fowarding is 1 year), and just kept paying for car reg online.

the two times my wife got stopped, the popo just said, oh, you just moved here (in nj) she's like YUP (after 3 years)

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My first thought on seeing they wanted a copy of birth certificate and ssn was this is a scam.

• 3Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
My first thought on seeing they wanted a copy of birth certificate and ssn was this is a scam.

That's my biggest concern really. So many questions, like how in the hell do you confuse 6'2 220lb me with a 5'5 120lb dude. I also SERIOUSLY doubt I have the same middle name and birthday as this guy.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That's my biggest concern really. So many questions, like how in the hell do you confuse 6'2 220lb me with a 5'5 120lb dude. I also SERIOUSLY doubt I have the same middle name and birthday as this guy.
serious dude, it's probably the same driver id number, i asked my friend a nj id is letter+14 digits

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
This whole thing is so hilariously fucked. I finally found someone with a brain at the actual National Driver Registry who got me the number I needed and she also got a me a number to a higher up in the department of M.V. in NJ. If their intelligence is any measure of what you have in government, I feel for you. Like, seriously sub 80 IQ, barely functioning adult. She gave me the address (and I already have the name and DOB), driver's license number, and reason for suspension for my "match" in NY. I already have his name and birthday apparently, does not make me feel extra safe sending them all of my personal info.

Camden, NJ....strikes again!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
This whole thing is so hilariously fucked. I finally found someone with a brain at the actual National Driver Registry who got me the number I needed and she also got a me a number to a higher up in the department of M.V. in NJ. If their intelligence is any measure of what you have in government, I feel for you. Like, seriously sub 80 IQ, barely functioning adult. She gave me the address (and I already have the name and DOB), driver's license number, and reason for suspension for my "match" in NY. I already have his name and birthday apparently, does not make me feel extra safe sending them all of my personal info.

What's Johnny's take on this?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

I told my story why I was driving around with pa plates for five years in nj, you believe me now!!!

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
So I actually was able to solve this in Texas. In the end I went directly to the DPS main office (not the liscencing or ticketing ones) on Lamar in Austin. I enter by the DPS musem (who wants to go there I have no clue?) and there is a guy (Kevin from the Office) sitting at a fold-up table by the door.

I say I think I am in the wrong place and explain my situation. He hands me a pamplet with all of the numbers I have been calling and says the person he is going to call will want me to call one of these. I'm thinking great, another dead end, and tell him I have already called them to which he replies, "oh, but you haven't called this one...it can only he reached from this phone!".

I'll be damned if the guy on the other end didn't listen to my story, look it up in the system, agree it was fucked, and clear it. Took 5 minutes! Just got a letter in the mail confirming I am free and clear. Only took like 3 months.

• 6Like
  • 4WTF
Reactions: 9 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The actual bat phone really exists? Holy shit bro...

• 3Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I had to threaten the Texas DMV with a lawsuit before I found a supervisor that had the intelligence to clock the button and finish my DL process.

Not typing out the whole story, but it was a headache.

Basically, they don't understand their own forms.

Was the DMV on Dacoma in Houston.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
To pile onto the idiocy. Maryland fucking filed a tax lien against me for taxes I filed 3 years ago, after having moved out of the state. The fucking apes had my updated address for years, but some "glitch" in the system had them sending mail to a house i sold years ago. For some reason these morons claim that they can place a lien because i didnt respond to a request for additional information they never requested. So i have to send in the same fucking tax return again for Maryland along with my New York State return to prove I didn't live in the state. woo.

• 1WTF

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I was at the end of the "submit" button to renew my 2 car tags online, like the tagline was "avoid in-office fees by renewing online", i'm like "da fuq, they charge me for appearing in person?" then i was like, wait... math isn't adding up.

so you get charged in-person office fees in ks

and you get charged online $5 per tag convenience fees (and some other online extra taxes)

fuck it, just send a check.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Last time I renewed my car tag I noticed I got an online discount. I thought sweet that's a far cry from the fucking convenience fee they used to charge. So I was looking at the cc bill this week and I was still charged a $5 convenience fee. I need to look back at how much the online discount was but I think it was $2.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Oh i forgot to add that in order to send a check, you have to send in proof of insurance, while going online there is no such need. Obviously this is to make it difficult and annoying so you want to just pay the fee.

Fuck that, statefarm gives me 2 copies of proof, just send the extra in! (and a week later they sent me my tag and the proofs back anyway)

obviously the measly fees isn't an issue, its that they goto such an extent to nickel and dime that i will not give them the opportunity.