Which MMOs are your fall back games you play?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
As I'm sitting here getting bored with EverQuest for the millionth and one time, I started wondering something...

Which MMOs is your fall back game that you play when you get bored with your main MMORPG?

Everyone has a main MMO that they go back to over and over. For me that is EverQuest. When I get bored with EverQuest, I pick up one of my other MMOs that I play a little, and then eventually I go back to EverQuest.

If I had to pick a list of MMOs that are in my "fall back" games list, it would be:
  1. World of Warcraft (I know... I know... /sigh)
  2. Starwars Old Republic Online
  3. Lord of the Rings
Honorable mention would go to:
  • EverQuest 2
  • Rift
  • Guildwars 2

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I often think about going back to WoW and then remember that my life is 100% better when I don't play WoW. And that's really saying something because my life basically sucks total ass, it just sucks total ass 300% more when I play WoW.

I keep GW2 installed for some dumb reason, but I never end up playing it for more than 20 minutes a year because I don't want to buy the expacs.

Been thinking about going back to Destiny 2, would you consider that an MMO? It has the same reward loops as an MMO, and little else.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I often think about going back to WoW and then remember that my life is 100% better when I don't play WoW. And that's really saying something because my life basically sucks total ass, it just sucks total ass 300% more when I play WoW.

I keep GW2 installed for some dumb reason, but I never end up playing it for more than 20 minutes a year because I don't want to buy the expacs.

Been thinking about going back to Destiny 2, would you consider that an MMO? It has the same reward loops as an MMO, and little else.

south park dancing GIF

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lately, I play P99 EQ. Get burned out... come back... get burned out... come back. I'm in the burn out phase right now. I'm trying WoW Classic just for a change of pace. I don't ever plan playing Live WoW ever again.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Main games I play every few months:

Guild Wars 2
Black Desert
Warframe
Destiny 2

every few years:

Blade and Soul
Path of Exile
Neverwinter
Star Trek Online
Star Wars
Lineage 2
Lord of the Rings
Eve Online
Elder Scrolls
Guild Wars 1

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I don't have many I fall back on these days, but here's some reliable ones that don't actively piss me off currently:

1) Final Fantasy XIV
2) RuneScape (OldSchool)
3) Pokemon Go, but actually outside touching grass.

Honorable mentions that manage to ruin my emotional stability each time:

a) Random EQ servers (TAKP, P99, Live TLP, etc) that end up making me passively regret spending nearly half of my life involved with the game in emulation or otherwise.
b) EverQuest 2's every-two-year TLE launch that ends up being ruined by its own community + devs, blatant game developer favoritism and nepotism, and poor design decisions made over the years since the Hartsman days.
c) World of Warcraft (Classic, Live, Emu, doesn't matter - the game is blatantly unenjoyable due to the attachment I have to the above and how poorly the game has aged with other titles out. I also only played the game for friends - who ended up ditching me on the game each time because the game is unenjoyable if you stick to a singular friend group

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have friends that play WoW Retail pretty consistently each xpac, and it's hard not to get sucked into that little cycle every 2 years for a month or so. Been messing with Classic just for Wrath (Objectively the best xpac because they added in Death Knights; the actual expansion is also great)

FFXIV I've been playing off and on (the patch cycle boogie) since ARR release. It's my favorite.

Rarely will I hop onto SWTOR, or other games. New World was such a f'n catastrophe at launch that I'm now kind of not really into the Day 1 new MMO release shit anymore.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My current jams are FFXIV and DDO. I was playing EQ for a bit at the beginning of the year. Been getting the itch to play WOW again, but also remembering why I quit. Will probably wait to see how garbage the next xpac is before I dive in again. After the shitshow BfA turned into I have very low hopes there.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I no longer have a MMO to fall back to. At this point, all of them lose me for pretty much forever once I stop playing. The rose-tinted glasses are broken, so I always remember why I left, and I've yet to see a game fixing their mistakes. WoW is still mostly the same recipe for all the last expansions, EQ lost me a long time ago. I sometimes think I might get back into LOTRO and see what's there, but I don't think anything is going to be much better than what drove me away in the first place.

Games I fall back to are things like Civ6 or similar. No MMO anymore.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much alternate between classic WoW and EQ TLPs these days. Most of the new mmo's just look so soulless, nice graphics but the game is completely railroaded. Go here, kill 5 of these, follow UI prompt to the next NPC. Repeat until raid time where you will have exactly x number of people for this raid and do exactly this strat. It's overdesigned and restrictive. I've always prefered sandbox titles, MMO or otherwise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I no longer have a MMO to fall back to. At this point, all of them lose me for pretty much forever once I stop playing. The rose-tinted glasses are broken, so I always remember why I left, and I've yet to see a game fixing their mistakes. WoW is still mostly the same recipe for all the last expansions, EQ lost me a long time ago. I sometimes think I might get back into LOTRO and see what's there, but I don't think anything is going to be much better than what drove me away in the first place.

Games I fall back to are things like Civ6 or similar. No MMO anymore.
I just didn't have the time for a second MMO when LOTRO came out. Could definitely see trying it again, though.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
PoE
SwTor

I guess add FF14. I’m enjoying the shit out of prepatch Wotlk classic. I’ll see if the
Magic holds.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
FFXIV is my current main stay, and will be something I pick back up anytime there is new content.

Destiny 2 is probably my biggest on again off again game. Hop in for every major release and then play or skip seasons as needed for burn out or lack of interest. Typically will no life a season/dlc when they grab me, and then skip a season if it is lame. Not super into the Fallen Space Pirate thing they have going on right now and have barely touched it.

SWTOR and ESO are ones I rotate to on and off usually when I get an itch for their respective IP’s since they haven’t really released much else.

Been thinking about doing a run on Lich King classic, been awhile since I’ve played WoW, and kind of always regretted missing the wagon on Vanilla through WoTLK.

Last edited:

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll bounce in and out of ESO for the simple reason that you never have to play catch up or feel like you are behind the power curve.

I can skip playing ESO for 2 years and log in and jump right into relevant content to farm whatever set is the new " meta ".

The latest patch has driven a ton of people away, so I have not even logged in since the 35 update.