White Queen [Starz]

Binkles_sl

shitlord
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2372220/

It premiered last night. It's the War of the Roses. I tend to think of it as Game of Thrones without the interesting fantasy elements. It was okay. Much of what occurred in the first episode seemed rushed. The acting seems fair, although, some of the character's motivation or thinking doesn't appear congruent or just served as an affectation to the era. I'll at least watch a few more episodes. It comes off as more of a period piece than anything really compelling.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
What I find the most interesting about this show is that the head writer is a woman named Emma Frost...you know The White Queen from marvel universe.
smile.png

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Hmm, it shows up as up to episode 8 on the trackers. I watched the first 2 eps a while back, wasn't impressed. Starz should mean titties ... there were no titties.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have seen episodes 1-8 and so far as period royal soap operas go it is alright; mainly because the tumultuous events it details are a bit interesting (if nothing new). It has the power plays and shifts in fortune that make this kind of story enjoyable however, its main fault is that all that we witness on any given front is mainly from the perspective of various women. They are whiny, frightened, jealous, pitiable, bitchy and insane by turns but seldom ever very interesting or compelling. Given the time period of the show these women are relegated to supporting roles as schemers, manipulators and pieces to be bought, sold and traded. As such it's rather dull compared to the activities of the men... much of which take place and are only explored in dialogue to the women.

Anyway its decent but it could have been much better if they focused less directly on the Queen (who has little to do besides worry and twiddle her fingers) and more on the King and his nobles/brothers more directly and in depth.

Edit: It would have been interesting if they had tried to break from the usual mold by diversifying the socioeconomic perspectives of the main characters a little bit. Everything we see is from the viewpoint of the same royal family and extended family. Seeing the War of the Roses from the perspective of someone caught up in the nonsense and devastation would have been much more compelling imo.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Starz should mean titties ... there were no titties.
The first episode had 6 titties at least (4 of the 6 were duplicates). I'm tired of softcore sex on TV. Either give me penetration or just elude to the act and move on. Softcore dry humping is terrible to watch.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I nit pick this show too much to enjoy it. There are so many architectural inaccuracies and poor editing that it drives me crazy.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
From rape victim to queen, this show is odd. So far, the best moment of the show is the initial exchange between Elizabeth and Duchess Cecily. I suppose the downfall of this series is, naturally, that's it too similar to Game of Thrones. The White Queen scenes are just inferior in terms of acting, writing, execution, and even set design. For instance, the promenade set appears made of cardboard. Not aiding to production value, everything moves too quickly in The White Queen. Nothing seems well nurtured. Nothing seems well developed. The leaps in time do not add to cohesion. The saving grace is that some of the characters are memorable. Margaret seems to be a ripe combination of mental illness/borderline/crazy and happens to be intriguing. I half expect her to summon C'thulu from her vagina. Ultimately, this show reads as Game of Thrones for amateurs.

I may be intoxicated.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Considering how much history this show covers, it actually moves quite quickly. The acting is, okay. The story is, okay. It might be worth watching On Demand/torrented on a lazy weekend. An adequate amount of alcohol quells some of the skepticism.

I may have touched myself during Anne Neville's rape/consummation; even though, it's thoroughly soft core to the most heinous degree.