Why Ys?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok I probably don't even know how to pronounce this game, but it looks great. I come from a long obsession of JRPGs on the SNES era, and I've been itching. It looks a lot like Secret of Mana.

Has anyone here played it and would recommend it?

Also, the Ys Origin is on sale for 7.99, but I was more interested in the Chronicles 1 + 2

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I have them all on Steam - get them, but also get a controller ... it makes them a lot more fun to play. Ys Origins was a blast.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are the chronicles any good? Seems they're new so they're still a bit expensive, I'll wait for a sale but just wondering for when they go on sale. I played Origins and Oath in Felghana already.

Szlia

I have not played the Chronicles version, but I played Ys I + II on my Turbo Duo back in the '90s. The fighting is a lot more rudimentary than in a Secret of Mana (melee is done by bumping into enemies and there is just a couple different consumables... maybe there was some items you could equip to cast some spells? But I am not even sure). It's a pretty simple story and a pretty simple game, but it gives a nice feeling of exploration and adventure through maze like caves and dungeons and a very good soundtrack.

I played III and IV too, with III being the red-headed bastard (Zelda II'esque sidescrolling) and IV being one of the pinnacle of the Turbo Duo games. After that I lost track, with V being seemingly a pretty mediocre SNES game that had another version on another console... meh.

We did have a master of all things Ys on FoH though... I want to say Darus Grey? I am not sure if he is around still.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Y's 1+2 Chronicles are pretty good, but you need to understand that the game mechanics aren't the same as Origins and Oath in Felghana. Most of your activity (talking and fighting!) involves just bumping into other stuff. No sword-swinging, jumping, etc. They're still fun, but you need to get over the fact that these are revised versions of the old, original games.

Y's Origins and Y's: Oath in Felghana are great games. Oath is especially awesome and probably one of the more intense action-RPGs around. There's some fights in it that are just unreal. Highly recommend it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Should I play 1/2 for the story at least?
Well in Oath and Origins, the story wasn't the strong point so doubt it's very useful. I guess you see the early parts of the saga. Didn't know combat wasn't the same, probably won't bother then, the thing that really made Oath and Origins(but mostly Oath) great games was the insane combat, without it they would have been pretty terrible games.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
1/2 has decent story and really gives you the heads up on the origins of the series, but I would hold off for a really cheap sale, since the games aren't particularly long or difficult. They would almost be considered (like how they're sold) one game.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Recently complete Oath in Felghana. Great game, action is fun, bosses are hard, story is meh.

Working on Origins, so far action is better, bosses are better, story is meh.

Both are a definite buy if you have a controller.

Also, Ys is pronounced "eese" ......like in Geese.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Vinen's a super Y's fanboy and could tell you all about every single one, but sadly I have not seen him around in a while.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Oath of Felgana I believe is a remake of Ys 3 from the SNES era. That was, without a doubt, one of my favorite games of that era. There are a lot of nods to the original, even though the original was 2-d side scrolling and the new one is mostly 3-d side scrolling, but let me tell you, when I went into that first mine again, and came to that 2-d section with the platforming part, that was almost exactly how I remembered it from the original game. Really gave me the nostalgias hard.

Anyway, yes, Origins and Oath of Felgana are decent to excellent. I have the other remakes that just released on steam but haven't had any time to play them yet.

Yep I was right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys:_The_Oath_in_Felghana

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (??? -????????- Isu -Ferugana no Chikai-?) is a Japanese Action RPG released in 2005 for Microsoft Windows by Nihon Falcom. It is a remake of the third game in the Ys series, Ys III: Wanderers from Ys.

Now I'm having a nostalgia overdose again. Goddamit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Play Ys original for master system. I loved that game! Whatever one was on snes was incredible too.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
1/2 has decent story and really gives you the heads up on the origins of the series, but I would hold off for a really cheap sale, since the games aren't particularly long or difficult. They would almost be considered (like how they're sold) one game.
Yep, they're packaged as one game with two chapters for PSP (Ys Chronicles). Still fairly expensive new (~$50-60) but they go on sale now and then like everything else. They're both great games, well worth the price, IMO.

Szlia

There is a version of Ys III on SNES that was released in the US and there is also an alternate version of Ys IV titled Mask of the Sun that is only available in Japan (The great Turbo Duo Ys IV is titled The Dawn of Ys).

Coren_sl

shitlord
I've not been able to get into the Ys series since the TurboGrafx days. Those were the best versions of the music I think, and not found any since that quite did it for me like those did.

Over 20 years later and this is still some of my favorite VG music.