Wii Homebrew

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Since my Wii has been collecting dust for years, I never even knew this existed.

Anyone try the Homebrew stuff? Is there a recommended way to get this thing loaded up?

I'd like to get a media player running and the DVD player unlocked.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've done it on a couple of Wiis and it's kind of an involved process, but pretty easy to do--just a lot of steps.

Here is the guide I've used each time:http://gwht.wikidot.com/

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help. I've only done it to play backed up games, haven't used it as a media or DVD player.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My Wii has been hacked for a couple of years with every game on a hard drive and I still never use it. It's in a plastic bag in my closet :/

Sean_sl

shitlord
My Wii has been hacked for a couple of years with every game on a hard drive and I still never use it. It's in a plastic bag in my closet :/
Same, I barely played anything on it after I hacked it too. No reason to with the Dolphin Emulator making games not look like fucking eye-cancer. I can't see the point in using it as a DVD or media player either seeing as it has dick all for any sort of upscaling or features. Something you could get off a store shelf for a few bucks would be far superior.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My Wii is basically a Netflix box for my 4 year old right now.

Inque

FunEmployed
The Wii was never meant to read retail DVD discs only proprietary Nintendo discs (ugh); Also, newer versions of the Wii (beyond 2006) such as the initial Black edition, subsequent Red Mario version and Blue versions as well as the re-release of the white version all had Gamecube compatibility stripped and the unit designed to be more 'compact' -- so if you want to modify your Wii to read external rips of DVDs or emulation, best option is to visitwww.gbatemp.net-- download ModMii and read the tutorials.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I have ours set up to play backups, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, N64 and other stuff. Also has YouTube and can play DVDs but not well. Emulators work pretty well with my game cube controllers.