Wild Wild Country

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sheela seems totally batshit. Its fascinating to see someone so fanatical. undying devotion and love to that guy.

Also, a bit crazy to see that lawyer dude talk. he is 100% still brainwashed. "we were nothing like Jonestown!" meanwhile, drugging thousands of homeless people... "we're all individualists!" while the raj has 15 rolls royces, and literally call him "master"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So here's the thing about the lawyer and many of the other members. I don't think they were ever actually brainwashed. Many of the people involved were obviously incredibly intelligent, capable people. I think they wanted to be adulated (just like Osho) and live in decadence with no social mooring. The lawyer even mentions how loved and praised he was. He guises it as "acceptance" that he had never felt before but that's a hard pill to swallow when you're talking about someone as clever and devious as he clearly was/is.

Osho got his following and his money and then went silent and retreated to his mansion. These other people became the face and leadership of the cult. And they fucking loved that power.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
So far only one episode complete, but it's not bad.

I am not a huge fan of the documentary style they are using, as it seems to be the standard lately. (Fast cutaways, and music thumping...I feel the "Rise and Fall of the Nazi party" documentary did this much better)

Christopher Hitchens sighting was a nice surprise.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Really enjoyed this. Whoever decided to use thick cursive for the name/locations prompts should be given salmonella.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Really enjoyed this. Whoever decided to use thick cursive for the name/locations prompts should be given salmonella.

I thought that was very romantic. It made me feel like I was being invited to a beautiful wedding.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm in the Dalles right now to fly a landfill site, just stopped at the "Rivertap" for lunch.
3 locals and the bartender are just sitting in here talking about how crazy it was when the Rajneesh and their homeless army were in full swing.

I knew I was going to be hearing about this show the next time I was in the dalles. Funny shit.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
finished watching it, pretty good overall. definitely seemed the only one who truly learned something and came out better was Mrs Stork, the lady with the kids, even though she was pretty crazy too.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So here's the thing about the lawyer and many of the other members. I don't think they were ever actually brainwashed. Many of the people involved were obviously incredibly intelligent, capable people. I think they wanted to be adulated (just like Osho) and live in decadence with no social mooring. The lawyer even mentions how loved and praised he was. He guises it as "acceptance" that he had never felt before but that's a hard pill to swallow when you're talking about someone as clever and devious as he clearly was/is.

Osho got his following and his money and then went silent and retreated to his mansion. These other people became the face and leadership of the cult. And they fucking loved that power.
The power was surely part of it, but I'm certain that plenty of intelligent people get taken into bullshit like this all the time. Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean immunity to whatever shit causes people to join groups like this.

I did like this series. It's funny, I went in totally blind, knowing nothing about them, and at first I was thinking that these guys are kind of dicks, but they aren't really doing anything wrong. Then they started bringing the homeless people and I was like "hrm, this is kind of fucked" and then the real shit went down. Slow build-up to that, was nice, I think it might help someone to understand why a person like that teacher would go along with things, the gradual build and the investment they have in the community and the lifestyle. Good stuff.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have a project scoping meeting in 10 minutes to (possibly) do lidar mapping along 10 miles of big muddy road, leading right to this place. I'm definitely going to include the map in the ranching extents if this ends up getting greenlit. ;)

1654192443273.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just showed up at this place today. Spent all afternoon setting survey targets in 105d heat. Feels bad man. I'm doing some misc photography flights tomorrow and will post some pics after. Lidar and photogrammetry start on Wednesday.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but it's gorgeous out here. The first 2 or 3 miles of the road have views like this, then it drops down into the canyons.
Screenshot_20220808-174917_Gallery.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wifi is rough out here.
tmp_bf51fe78-b6ed-428a-994f-8949106e255a.jpeg
tmp_c06c8d90-4da5-40ea-a4ea-4d545e18c78a.jpeg

tmp_872dad2b-f401-46dc-a52e-820ef0ad31c1.jpeg

Can't start the lidar flights because there's a thunderstorm. The thunder is loud as hell in this canyon

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a project scoping meeting in 10 minutes to (possibly) do lidar mapping along 10 miles of big muddy road, leading right to this place. I'm definitely going to include the map in the ranching extents if this ends up getting greenlit. ;)

View attachment 415223
Is this part of the land used by the cult or whatever? I watched the documentary, but it was so boring, I have forgot most of it (Netflix made a few good docs, such as The Keepers, then it seemed like they started trying to add run time to pad their numbers).

I see buildings there, but it looks abandoned? Do you see any activity, other than that of the main road passing through?

Finally, is this public or private order for survey, and do you know why they would want the whole valley done?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is this part of the land used by the cult or whatever? I watched the documentary, but it was so boring, I have forgot most of it (Netflix made a few good docs, such as The Keepers, then it seemed like they started trying to add run time to pad their numbers).

I see buildings there, but it looks abandoned? Do you see any activity, other than that of the main road passing through?

Finally, is this public or private order for survey, and do you know why they would want the whole valley done?
There's tons of people here. Its a church camp. The place in staying is one of the original buildings.

We're mapping 11 miles of road because a ton of busses bring kids in for church camp here and it's pretty damn narrow for busses passing eachother.

All of the staff is really nice and polite. I've been hanging out with the construction manager most of the day. Turns out I went to high school with his son.

edit: this is where I'm staying. You can see this little encampment in one of the pictures in the first 5 minutes of episode 1.
DJI_0191.JPG
DJI_0168.JPG
DJI_0187.JPG

Screenshot_20220809-183945_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like