Wind River (2017)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Wind River

Genre: Crime, Thriller, Action

Director: Taylor Sheridan

Cast: Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Gil Birmingham, Kelsey Asbille, Jon Bernthal, Graham Greene, Julia Jones, Martin Sensmeier, Tyler Laracca, Tokala Clifford, James Jordan, Eric Lange, Ian Bohen, Hugh Dillon, Matthew Del Negro, Teo Briones, Tantoo Cardinal, Apesanahkwat, Althea Sam, Blake Robbins, Austin R. Grant, Norman Lehnert

Release: 2017-08-04

Runtime: 111

Plot: An FBI agent teams with the town's veteran game tracker to investigate a murder that occurred on a Native American reservation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

From the writer of sicario and hell or high water. This time he's directing. Trailer doesn't give away much but looks pretty good.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thought it was going to be a Thunderheart remake for a min, but looks substantially different. I'll probably check it out. We need more movies like this.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Actually I saw Sicario recently and it was not bad. Super formulaic and generic plot but at least it wasn't stupid about it.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked the movie overall, but the Emily Blunt character being so obviously the audience's relatable hook was a little too obvious. It was just a little unbelievable that she would be that niave when the first scene is her pulling corpses out of the wall.

But even with that, I still liked Sicaro a lot.

• 1Solidarity

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lefty shooter, gross
Hey, we're human too! We already face enough discrimination trying to find a gun we want that won't shoot a casing into our face / shirt.

Edit: Oh, I will gladly see a crime thriller with 2 Avengers in it. I haven't seen either of the previous two movies yet though.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I liked the movie overall, but the Emily Blunt character being so obviously the audience's relatable hook was a little too obvious. It was just a little unbelievable that she would be that niave when the first scene is her pulling corpses out of the wall.

But even with that, I still liked Sicaro a lot.

Yea it was too disjointed from this perspective. She acted TOO naive considering her obvious experience (as demonstrated even in the movie itself, not just expository dialogue). I kind of expected her to be more of a "can't keep up", the semi-pro brought into the majors for one game type thing where she starts always behind but by the end she one-ups the rest of them and does something unexpected, instead they kept dragging her back into the 'fish out of water'. That and the rando sidekick guy who shows up and adds literally nothing to the movie.

It was a well produced movie, it just didn't go anywhere. Was entirely predictable it was the CIA who needed a domestic lapdog (you are basically told this even if the characters remain woefully ignorant), that Benicio would be some sort of cartel/mexican dude who wasn't really on anyone's side and that they would get the bad guys. The whole 'best we can do is spray the weeds that make it into our lawn derrrpppp' story was disappointing but not surprising or out of character with the movie, just 'been there, we got it.... it's not the 80s/90s anymore when this was new storyline'.

It reminded me of any song by Boston, they just start at 8, never go past 8.2 and stay there the entire song. No build up, no crescendos, no escalation, never hits 11... just a nice 8 on the dial the entire way.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today (thanks, moviepass!) and really enjoyed it, 8.8/10 for me. Quiet, slow, focused yet not really murder-mystery story that just tells a simple story but written VERY well. I am extremely impressed with the writer, who has written Sicario, Hell or High Water, and now this. Movie doesn't try to jam in political or social commentary, and there are some good emotional moments - I'm not a guy who cries, ever (unless dogs are involved), but I felt a few tears well up once or twice.

The crazy thing is he was the sheriff on seasons 1-3 of Sons of Anarchy, and then left under very WEIRD circumstances, and basically disappeared from Hollywood for 5 years before writing Sicario. I'm sure there is an absolutely fascinating story there.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this today (thanks, moviepass!) and really enjoyed it, 8.8/10 for me. Quiet, slow, focused yet not really murder-mystery story that just tells a simple story but written VERY well. I am extremely impressed with the writer, who has written Sicario, Hell or High Water, and now this. Movie doesn't try to jam in political or social commentary, and there are some good emotional moments - I'm not a guy who cries, ever (unless dogs are involved), but I felt a few tears well up once or twice.

The crazy thing is he was the sheriff on seasons 1-3 of Sons of Anarchy, and then left under very WEIRD circumstances, and basically disappeared from Hollywood for 5 years before writing Sicario. I'm sure there is an absolutely fascinating story there.

Thanks for letting me know this was out.

spronk

FPS noob
Renner and the Indian sherriff absolutely kill it, performance wise. I think I'll download and watch Longmire soon, heard its similar vibe

Whats also fascinating is that this movie is doing BETTER every week than the week before at the box office -- 3m first wide open week, then 4.6m, and $8m+ for long weekend, all on a budget of $11m. People are hungry for good movies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I enjoyed this movie immensely, deeply satisfying 9/10.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I fucking loved this. Beautifully shot, tense, and the dialog is tight.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Renner and the Indian sherriff absolutely kill it, performance wise. I think I'll download and watch Longmire soon, heard its similar vibe

Whats also fascinating is that this movie is doing BETTER every week than the week before at the box office -- 3m first wide open week, then 4.6m, and $8m+ for long weekend, all on a budget of $11m. People are hungry for good movies.

Longmire is an excellent show. The books are even better. As I watched this movie, I kept thinking that it seemed as though they stole ideas from Longmire.

gak

<Gold Donor>
As soon as FBI said, "Anything closer to the body than the house 3.5 miles away ?" and Renner said, "Ya, deserted oil rig 5 miles away" I said to the wife, "Evil white man working security on the off-season at the oil rig will be the killer."

When Renner found the mountain lions I said, "One security guy will escape and be eaten by the lions."

Fell on my face with that one...

n.jpg

• 6Picard
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 6 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This is a great flick. Renner really nails it and the cinematography and soundtrack are both awesome. It's got feels for sure.

• 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Great movie. Pirated it. Feel bad i didnt watch in theater. Will definitely buy on blu ray in a couple of days.

Most of the movie is slow and realistic drama about living and surviving. That speech about luck not existing at the end... If anything it's kinda anti safe zone. Dont know why that idiot above got triggered.

What action there was was fucking tense.

Taylor Sheridan makes movies worth seeing. Better than most Hollywood crap.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the better movies released this year. Probably the best performance of Renner’s career.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database