World Health Organization declares war on bacon

Madsapper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
and other processed meat, and sorta kinda probably meat in general.

Sites not archived, server error when trying.
cnn

nbcnews

fox

The report says studies have shown someone who eats 100 grams of red meat a day - that's equal to a quarter pound of steak or about 2/3 of a pork chop - raises his or her risk of colon cancer by 17 percent. It specifically says there is no known safe amount of meat to eat.

"Although WHO now classifies both processed meat and cigarettes in the highest category of carcinogen, these classifications reflect the strength of the evidence behind them, not the level of risk," the group, which researches links between diet and cancer, says.

"Processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous."

Edible and processed have never been put together in a way that is healthy and too much meat (too much of any one food type) isn't healthy either. Curious to see if and how much traction this gains in the coming years. Might be same shit different decade in twenty years, might need to be 18 and show ID to buy a hamburger in twenty years.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
rrr_img_114182.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guess I'm just not going to live to 120 then because fuck not eating bacon.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Other carcinogens in the same category besides tobacco: alcohol, saw dust, solar radiation (yes, sunlight).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I look forward to seeing "this product contains ingredients known to cause cancer" on all the food I buy in California soon.

Also, for the last 40 years they've been saying eggs will kill you. Now everyone is starting to realize just how fucking stupid that is.

I'll keep eating red meat, thanks.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
We've been eating smoking and eating meat since we had fire and meat to smoke. This reminds me the gluten bullshit.

Whenever I hear this kind of shit that flies totally in the face of 10,000 years of civilization, like people saying they're allergic to goddamn bread, I immediately smell bullshit.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm convinced they do it simply as a kickback to food companies. Gluten free shit, for example, is much more expensive. It makes no sense. It affects a tiny little splash of the population. I wonder if anyone sat back and realized that the reason children are getting all these fucked up food allergies these days is because we're passing weaker genes to them, because we eat like fucking pussies.

Jive Turkey

Karen
The study says it increases your chances of colon cancer by 18%... That number means shit without knowing that the chance of getting colon cancer in a lifetime is 5%. So 18% of 5%. It's fuck all. People freaking out about nothing. And I don't even eat bacon

iannis

Musty Nester
Bacon has become so trendy that this killjoy pushback was inevitable. These studies aren't even new. Vegitarianism -is- a more healthy diet, overall. The only thing a diligent full on vegan actually lacks is access to certain B vitamins. That delicious char on steaks and fish? That's a carcinogen.

And you know what? Who gives a shit. Vegans STILL die. Also they smell.

But lets talk about shit we already knew and make a big deal out of it. The internet wins another round.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
Instead of demonizing bacon they should just tout the benefits of more plants. You can have both... eat some bacon with some greens and get the best of both worlds. You can easily throw out statistics on some plants for reducing the % chance of colon cancer by 400% and eat some bacon to cancel it out.