World of Tanks

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
a thread to talk about important internet pixel tanks

rrr_img_3827.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ML4oXjG6agcamouflage guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5S8CrsUigpenetration / armor guide
some of the tips in the videos are pretty herp derp captain obvious statements but theres some useful tips

I play on the EU servers under this name aswell

rrr_img_3827.jpg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did they make a video about stealth and spotting yet? What I really loathe about the game is how little information on many critical issues can be found in the actual game and you need to read website, youtube channel and all that shit constantly as they're slowly releasing more information. Crucial information such as spotting distance for individual tanks never made it into the game, neither did they ever bother with more detailed armor information.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
not sure really each tank have a set view range in its stats then add stuff like coated optics, binoculars, crew perks all that is then calculated versus the other guys tank size, camouflage, crew camouflage skills, range , moving, not moving, firing, not firing. but tbh some times it just feels wierd and random at times

and on the armor thing a more detailed information would be really nice since they just do something like say tank have 150mm frontal armor but not its effective armor based on angles and such. it would be awesome if they made it so that when you spin your tank in your garage and hovered mouse of certain parts of the tank it would tell you the amounts of armor in that area and how it was angled

orcmauler

Golden Squire
In regards to weak spots, some of it is trial and error, some of it is common sense (machine gun ports tend to be good spots to aim at, turrets not so much). There are hitbox mods as well, but most players consider it sanctioned cheating.

I play still a bit on and off and find the russian bias is still there, my tier 8 Russian td performs better 99.9% of the time than my tier 9 german.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not sure really each tank have a set view range in its stats then add stuff like coated optics, binoculars, crew perks all that is then calculated versus the other guys tank size, camouflage, crew camouflage skills, range , moving, not moving, firing, not firing. but tbh some times it just feels wierd and random at times
I'm pretty sure it's your view range with modifiers vs target visibility (the "size") with modifiers for moving, camouflage and skills. However, the integer for view range is known, the integer for visibility is not known.

They're hiding way too many important stats.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
In regards to weak spots, some of it is trial and error, some of it is common sense (machine gun ports tend to be good spots to aim at, turrets not so much). There are hitbox mods as well, but most players consider it sanctioned cheating.

I play still a bit on and off and find the russian bias is still there, my tier 8 Russian td performs better 99.9% of the time than my tier 9 german.
most of the hitbox mods paints the tanks in all diff. kinds of colours it just makes them look terrible
the russian bias is still there but its not as bad as it used to be, russian bias duing beta was pretty terribad

i feel your pain on the JagdTiger at tier 9 its simply not as awesome as one could hope, its hopeless to conseal, easy to penetrate frontaly and since the transmission in the game mechanics counts as a engine part its prone to fire or atleast knocked out engine from first shot that goes thru your front lower plate wich everyone over tier 6 can penetrate.
i have around 500 fights in my JT and the only times i feel like its useful is in the urban maps where arty is less of a problem and you can park behind some rubble that covers your FLP.

But if you like your ISU-152 with the BL-10 gun then your gonna love the Object 704 its basicly a upgraded ISU in all aspects and unlike the JT you can actualy hide it and not always get spotted when firing from 400+ like the JunkTiger usualy gets. ofcourse it dosent offer the same accuracy as the JagdTiger but thats only really a problem at extreme ranges anyway and the 750 average damage is just sweet

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sure it's your view range with modifiers vs target visibility (the "size") with modifiers for moving, camouflage and skills. However, the integer for view range is known, the integer for visibility is not known.

They're hiding way too many important stats.
yeah the game needs to show more stats / details. the spotting system used to be WAY worse but still sometimes it just makes zero sense and some bushes are just magic bushes that conceal your tank no matter what, iwe found a sweet spot in Malinovka where unless they are almost ontop of me they wont spot even when firing

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ofcourse it dosent offer the same accuracy as the JagdTiger but thats only really a problem at extreme ranges anyway and the 750 average damage is just sweet
That's my biggest issue with the balance of this game. German guns are supposed to have an accuracy advantage, but most battles are fought at <300m and it's not even possible to engage at more than 550m in most situations. Even if you could shoot at someone 800m away, the terrible penetration mechanics of this game would make you bounce anyways.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I play and have a few tier 8 tanks but I find I have more fun playing tier 5-6 tanks. One thing they did relatively recently (for those that don't play) is the physics patch which made the game 10x better imo.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've played this game off and on for a few years. It's amazing to me how much more fun the lower tier matches are (for me anyways) as opposed to the higher tiers. After playing all manner of styles/tanks/tiers it boiled down to the Su-26. Goddamn I love playing that little spg. The higher tiered SPGs are the most unplayable things in the game imo.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Is this still P2W with ammo and such? I hated this game after T6 for this reason.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
Is this still P2W with ammo and such? I hated this game after T6 for this reason.
you can buy premium ammo with regular credits now at a a 400 credit per gold cost so ammo at 5g can be bought for 2K credits but it gets pricy at higher tiers when we are talking 17G / 6800credits per artillery shell so its pretty much;

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Been playing this since September 2012 when a few friends sucked me in. Great game if you like team vs team pvp, and prefer tactics over twitch.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Just started playing this -- having a lot of fun. Surprised I never gave it a shot last year.

Elerion

N00b
I picked this up again a week ago, hadn't played since Beta. At that time, Tiers 3-10 were in the same matchmaking pool, and there was no premium option to make driving Tier 8-10 tanks sustainable. You pretty much had to drive Tier 1-2 tanks or get smashed in Tier 3-6 tanks for cash, and the grind was unbearable. I quit pretty fast.

Now, the game is so much better. There are incremental matchmaking tiers all the way, so mid-tier tanks are a blast to play. I'd even argue tiers 4-6 are the most fun tiers to play, and those tanks can be obtained in just a few nights of play time. There are tons of tanks to choose from, balance is pretty good, lots of maps, and just an incredible amount of variety in playstyles. For pubs, no more than 3 people can group up (out of ~12 tanks per side), so pub stomping is not an issue.

For those that really want to sink their teeth into it, there's a world map domination clan war system going at Tier 10, and some kind of Tier 6 10-man team matchmaking.

I highly recommend it. If any euros want to try it, let me know, I can join you and give you some basics. I'm still pretty new, but I should be able to give some pretty good pointers.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One pointer being that all games are 15 vs 15.
wink.png

Update 8.4 is out now on all servers, introducing a British Tank Destroyer line. The maps Serene Coast and Dragon Ridge have been taken out to be reworked. Also some German light tanks got bumped up a tier (Luchs, VK2801, ...) with some adjustments.