World of Warcraft: Current Year

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I've been leveling in war mode and I've battled/captured a few pets in Zandalar no problem.
Hmm do I need to go get the starter quest if I boosted up a toon with the 110 token? Ive never had to before but I am unable to find any battles except trainers

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
So you like boring stuff. This argument reads like you'd be the same type of person who only does normal/heroic dungeons and LFR raids and say "wow has become too easy" - The cut scenes have been great and give some life to what has been going on compared to a box of text basically just saying "thanks" after you've killed 20 mobs.
Idk I sorta agree with him. While I watch all the cut scenes I just feel like they dont fit into MMOs. But cant argue against them giving life to the game.
I think hes spot on with the multiplayer hub game and barely an MMO, however

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did you guys play vanilla?

The game where you soloed 95% of the questing?

Additionally they added Warmode, so that world pvp will happen organically. You still group for dungeons and raids. Guilds exist. Communities, albeit shittily implemented, exist. I've seen more people than ever group questing because they added a goddamn bonus to it.

What you don't see is 800 people fighting for the same mob, and I'm ok with that. Artificial time losses like standing around waiting for quest mob spawns are garbage. Some of you dudes cannot be satisfied with anything unless they release EQ3 and it is EQ1 with modern graphics.. no, I take that back, you'd bitch. You'd want EQ1 with EQ1 graphics.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Did you guys play vanilla?

The game where you soloed 95% of the questing?

Depends. We had group quests back then that were segmented off from the solo questing style. So you had a mix of both. Biggest factor is it was server based, and if we were on PvP servers, and getting ganked, we could call in friends on our server to assist. That gave the server much more of the EQ community feel. Now? It's just blips on a screen no one cares about but might be happy they are there to kill a mob quicker.

I will always think, no matter what, the biggest mistake Blizzard has made is cross server populations just so you can see other players in the game. It just bogs things down and doesn't bring the effect of community what so ever. All it does it makes people think, "Sweet. People are still playing" 6 months after a .4.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Depends. We had group quests back then that were segmented off from the solo questing style. So you had a mix of both. Biggest factor is it was server based, and if we were on PvP servers, and getting ganked, we could call in friends on our server to assist. That gave the server much more of the EQ community feel. Now? It's just blips on a screen no one cares about but might be happy they are there to kill a mob quicker.

I will always think, no matter what, the biggest mistake Blizzard has made is cross server populations just so you can see other players in the game. It just bogs things down and doesn't bring the effect of community what so ever. All it does it makes people think, "Sweet. People are still playing" 6 months after a .4.
That's why I threw out 95%. I don't know how much of the content was group quest vs solo questing. However, group quests still exist in BfA.. they're just easily soloable.

• 1Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
WoW is an MMO that you are able to play entirely solo if you feel the need to, but it is a game meant to be played with others if you want to experience everything it has to offer. The fact that you are able to play it solo if you want is why it is so successful. Saying that it doesn't feel like an MMO because of this is silly.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
A lot of Vanilla's group quests could be soloed anyways if you were a Mage or a Hunter. The only dangerous ones were situations where there were several adds, or they couldn't be snared.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's why I threw out 95%. I don't know how much of the content was group quest vs solo questing. However, group quests still exist in BfA.. they're just easily soloable.

I’d say about 30% at the time was group based. Because we had group content quests scattered all over (non dungeons and dungeons) and there was a large gap where if solo players didn’t do those group quests, they would find themselves grinding mobs to get to the next quest level set.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
WoW is an MMO that you are able to play entirely solo if you feel the need to, but it is a game meant to be played with others if you want to experience everything it has to offer. The fact that you are able to play it solo if you want is why it is so successful. Saying that it doesn't feel like an MMO because of this is silly.

No one is saying that. People are saying it doesn't feel like an MMO because having people around you will never talk to again (Or even talk to to begin with) as it randomizes a shitload of people from other servers into your instance, which is nor ever will be persistent, doesn't lead to a consistent nor persistent community.

It's more bigger picture and going back to basics. I fully agree with it. It's an MMO in that I still have my guild and friends I met there and can chat with and do a raid with a few or group up for instances - but will I * ever * meet someone out in the wild and develop the same? Not the way it's laid out today, no. The likelihood I even send a whisper to "Joedaddy007-(Insert server cluster here) is 99.99999999% ever going to happen, and the likelihood I add any of those people or stay grouped with them longer than it takes to knock out a mob is 100% never going to happen.

Last edited:

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Idk, I have literally never interacted with a random person "in the wild" and developed a friendship or done content with them in any game I ever played, not even EQ, so I guess I don't really know where you are coming from. Maybe we have just had different experiences.

Every mmo I've ever played has been:
1) Find like minded people to push content with
2) Push said content and have a good time

Repeat until it is no longer fun

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Idc about soloing in MMOs. A lot of the time I prefer it while farming and seeing if I can kill group content on my own.
What makes it feel not like an MMO is that when you actually join a group youre thrown into one where nobody communicates, strategies, or any other social interaction. They might as well just be computer controlled mercenaries. The whole social aspect of the game is gone for the most part and yes Im aware before someone says "BuT 4 mYthIc coNtInENt u ned 2!" That certain occasions you do but the overwhelming majority of the times you don't. Also the whole mythic speed run honor caps dailies and all that just make it feel less and less like an MMO and more like what Junis said.
I understand the need for them with a game this old and the instant gratification demanding player base so Im not petitioning to do away with it. Just really takes the MMO feel out of the game.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Idk, I have literally never interacted with a random person "in the wild" and developed a friendship or done content with them in any game I ever played, not even EQ, so I guess I don't really know where you are coming from. Maybe we have just had different experiences.

Every mmo I've ever played has been:
1) Find like minded people to push content with
2) Push said content and have a good time

Repeat until it is no longer fun

For me it was going to a zone in EQ, finding a few folks, grouping, 6 hours later finding I like these people and then when I would log in again, see where they were at and group up again.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a couple people following me around doing quests last night. We were not actually grouping but they saw how fast I was plowing shit that we just started grabbing the same quests and they would tap stuff and I would plow it so everybody got credit. So the new way they do that makes helping folks out and then going your own way pretty easy.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I grouped up with and befriended quite a few players in vanilla beta and within the few year or so of release as things were still new and I was learning the game and how it differed from MUD's. That sort of newbiness slows shit down to a crawl and makes you have to work a lot harder to get through the game than what more experienced players can manage. Now that it's all second nature:: there's simply little point in grouping with others outside of group content as it will slow you down more often than not.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Picked boomkin as my first class to level. Having hit 120 and gained 45 ilvls, I feel almost no power difference when questing, wonder if that stupid mob hp scaling with your ilvl shit they had was put back in. Balance is so whack with this class that sunfire spam with the right azerite traits is the best single target.
Glad I switched to mage... every item or trait I get feels like a substantial improvement.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Man I really like the look and feel of the new Alliance zones.

Yeah I thought this too while I was doing my horde war campaign stuff. Just seem more interesting, troll stuff has been done to death.

• 2Solidarity

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I thought this too while I was doing my horde war campaign stuff. Just seem more interesting, troll stuff has been done to death.
I'm still half expecting an expansion where we timetravel back to the days of the Black Empire. Then we can get glutted with Old God tentacles everywhere!

• 1Like