World of Warcraft: Current Year

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Emperor Vek'lor: Caster, immune to all physical damage, has a mana bar.
- Arcane Burst — 4000-4950 arcane damage AoE counterattack whenever a player is within melee range. Knocks back anyone it hits and slows their movement speed by 70%.

Pretty sure no one was warrior tanking that one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure we range tanked on emps.
Reading an old guide, apparently that was a thing, although I don't remember doing it. You could tank swap to a warlock for shadow resist on the caster. Flipside is if you fucked up the swapping and you had the melee emp on your warlock, you were going to get ass raped. I think we just had 2warriors tanks for both since it was simpler.

Emperor Vek'lor: Caster, immune to all physical damage, has a mana bar.
- Arcane Burst — 4000-4950 arcane damage AoE counterattack whenever a player is within melee range. Knocks back anyone it hits and slows their movement speed by 70%.

Pretty sure no one was warrior tanking that one.
Didn't have to actually hit him though since they generated threat on teleport, so whoever was closest had aggro. I remember tanking everything, the caster one was just more annoying since you couldn't really do anything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Now that you mention it I recall having to stand on an exact spot. It's been so long I can't remember honestly. We for sure used two warriors though but we were not a good guild

xzi

Mouthbreather
warriors could actually taunt the boss to move them into position as best they could iirc

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Furor/FoH talk on Asmon's stream yesterday.

The context of that conversation comes up from a pleb's post on the wow forums about how Method is turning the top end of the game into an esport to the point that regular folks are no longer playing the game, they're just watching Method like they would a football game. It's kind of a shit post, but there's a bit of accuracy to it. The top end being catered to so heavily, there's not a whole lot of content for the masses to spend doing, even if it's as arbitrary as the travel time it used to take during vanilla. The new islands have the appearance of a massive world, but you can get from one end to the other is about two minutes. Even on the ground takes about the time it takes to fly across Silithus. In Legion that space was taken up with a lot of things to do between points of interest. In BfA you go to the one world quest, whistle, go to the next, logout. Flying is going to be utterly irrelevant. Even dungeoning is done fairly quickly, and basically once a week. I'd be really curious to see how long people are staying logged in these days compared to every previous expansion (save the last year of WoD).

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The context of that conversation comes up from a pleb's post on the wow forums about how Method is turning the top end of the game into an esport to the point that regular folks are no longer playing the game, they're just watching Method like they would a football game. It's kind of a shit post, but there's a bit of accuracy to it. The top end being catered to so heavily, there's not a whole lot of content for the masses to spend doing, even if it's as arbitrary as the travel time it used to take during vanilla. The new islands have the appearance of a massive world, but you can get from one end to the other is about two minutes. Even on the ground takes about the time it takes to fly across Silithus. In Legion that space was taken up with a lot of things to do between points of interest. In BfA you go to the one world quest, whistle, go to the next, logout. Flying is going to be utterly irrelevant. Even dungeoning is done fairly quickly, and basically once a week. I'd be really curious to see how long people are staying logged in these days compared to every previous expansion (save the last year of WoD).
I don't understand what you think people were doing in old expansions that isn't available now. This expansion is literally legion without legos.

People are in to watching esports because you get a similar endorphin hit from watching someone succeed as you do from doing so yourself. It's why people watch all sports and esports. WoW geeks also have this incredible hero worship which Blizzard can't do much about. Look at the number of subs method got during the world first race. Why the fuck would anyone give them money? I give different guys my prime sub to collect weak auras and shit but no way I give those fags real money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People also forget that Vanilla actually had progression. You didn't skip one step to reach the next by getting gay ass WF/TF upgrades. You had to do LBRS/UPRS before you did MC. You had to do MC before you did BWL and so on. You had to grind out gear in different steps, I think you had to grind out faction as well but I can't remember. Every release of the next "raid tier" now is just really a restart on progression. Maybe they've gone overboard on catch up mechanics. I get wanting the majority of players to experience content you work hard to create, but at some point you completely kill the idea of what it means to have a "massive multiplayer" game. I'm not saying the content isn't good today, I just think their progression mechanics are about as bad as it gets. It's totally built like an ARPG and not an MMO.

Also on worlds being huge that would be nice to see again, but really if it wasn't for the nostalgia aspect of going back into those old zones they really don't hold a candle to the new ones... in most cases.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure we range tanked on emps.

I remember during our 4 Horsemen progression we had a guy that had left the guild to rejoin his friends on another server and he was stuck 2 box lock tanking for Twin Emps.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's weird, because I remember dealing with the positioning on twin emps by standing in specific places for the switch, but I also remember ranged tanking being involved. They say the memory's the first thing to go...

I definitely remember that I had to stand in a specific spot, tag the one boss when it teleported and then run like hell to get it to/near to the wall, though.

Could just be that our strat sucked. Then again, I can't even remember what guild I was in at that point, or what server I was on, or what faction I was playing.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You had to grind out gear in different steps, I think you had to grind out faction as well but I can't remember.

Yep. Grind that FR gear. Oh, you're done that? Grind that SR gear because Nefarian, and get your Onyxia cloak. Now grind NR gear because Huhuran (which involved faction in Silithus and/or AQ40 for sure). Also (not strictly Classic, but relevant), +hit at some point. Also, resilience at some point, for the 5 minutes that resilience wasn't a joke.

I don't miss that shit for even a second.

Oh, wait... grind that Azerite gear, because your traits are wrong, scrub!

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
People also forget that Vanilla actually had progression. You didn't skip one step to reach the next by getting gay ass WF/TF upgrades. You had to do LBRS/UPRS before you did MC. You had to do MC before you did BWL and so on. You had to grind out gear in different steps, I think you had to grind out faction as well but I can't remember. Every release of the next "raid tier" now is just really a restart on progression. Maybe they've gone overboard on catch up mechanics. I get wanting the majority of players to experience content you work hard to create, but at some point you completely kill the idea of what it means to have a "massive multiplayer" game. I'm not saying the content isn't good today, I just think their progression mechanics are about as bad as it gets. It's totally built like an ARPG and not an MMO.

Also on worlds being huge that would be nice to see again, but really if it wasn't for the nostalgia aspect of going back into those old zones they really don't hold a candle to the new ones... in most cases.

Vanilla did have catchup mechanics, it was called ZG and later on AQ20. Less hardcore than the other raids, but still rewarded very significant loot. Even better loot than BWL in some cases (trinkets for casters, etc). I don't mind modern day catchup mechanics so I can just jump right into the game now, because that's just what the game is now and there's no changing it. But I do miss how it was.

Game is better in almost every single way today but that doesn't mean the older game had a lot of right ideas that lend themselves to being an RPG.

Vaguely relevant, but I saw some comment on some asmongold stream that basically said "My character used to be a nobody doing heroic things and now I'm a hero doing nothing" and it kind of made me sad lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yep. Grind that FR gear. Oh, you're done that? Grind that SR gear because Nefarian, and get your Onyxia cloak. Now grind NR gear because Huhuran (which involved faction in Silithus and/or AQ40 for sure). Also (not strictly Classic, but relevant), +hit at some point. Also, resilience at some point, for the 5 minutes that resilience wasn't a joke.

Even worse about the NR gear was you were farming shit like maraudon for the gear (and world dragons). I remember farming that stuff for weeks before we even got to huhuran.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm also not praising the progression mechanics in Vanilla either. But I think there is a sweet spot between that and today they are missing out on. Anyone who knows my post history knows I don't rose tint my vanilla experience. The game is 100x better today then it was then. But most of the problems today can stem from progressing and risk/time vs reward mechanics.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yep, if things haven't changed, they get nerfed immediately at 100 to like 15-20k.

Wouldn't this have existed for a long time though?

Ranged classes are good times, but the channeling really fucks you up on encounters. I think that's partly what appeals to people more about melee, since a lot of it is instant attacks and "energy"-based versus mana pools.

Doesn't help when you create dungeons where you have to kite/move constantly and you have to avoid ground effects all the fucking time.

Hit wasn't so bad though. Resist gear sucked for sure. And the only parts I experienced where FR for Naxx.