World of Warcraft: Current Year

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How... how do you even play a Demon Hunter with your mouse not working.

Like, half the logistics of Vengeance are tied to ground-target abilities.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't know I thought he was just memeing waiting for the big pulls saving his aoes but uh no, confirmed complete retard.

Wasn't my key so whatever lmao

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Skittish week too, so unless you have a hunter or rogue in your group AoE on big packs is fun time for sure. Painful as DH dps.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I was just looking at the PAX East schedule / map and there doesn't seem to be any Blizzard presence at the show this year. Always before they had some sort of panel / announcement with a huge booth containing demo stations and a giant merchandise booth that had a perpetual line around it.

Wonder if the promotional team got axed with the culling? Seems weird since they seemed to be taking in cash with all the merch.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I was just looking at the PAX East schedule / map and there doesn't seem to be any Blizzard presence at the show this year. Always before they had some sort of panel / announcement with a huge booth containing demo stations and a giant merchandise booth that had a perpetual line around it.

Wonder if the promotional team got axed with the culling? Seems weird since they seemed to be taking in cash with all the merch.

I can't believe they already ran out of cheap Chinese games to reskin.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Pax East costs a lot of money. For the amount of space Blizzard had when I went (overwatch year) I can't even imagine how much. I highly doubt they brought enough merch to make their money back. We broke even and sold as much as we did at Gencon.

Unless there is something to hype with advertising I don't see any reason to go to Pax East.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
PAX East is suffering as its so close to GDC these days. Lots of devs don't want to travel again so soon and the overall show is weakened as a result.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was offered free PAX East tickets and I didn't even want to miss that day from work so I declined - that's how lame it is.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm looking forward to whatever fills the WOW void when it finally loses its titan grip on the market. BfA was the first time I honestly considered this. We joked back during Cata and the last half of WOD, but then we got Mists and Legion as followup. If highs are followed by lows, the next expac is going to fondle my balls while inhaling my load. Where the fuck are they gonna go from here without fundamentally changing what the game is, as if they haven't already done so with the absurd dumbing down of everything.

A level squish down to 60 on the next expac, post wow classic, what are they going to do, revitalize two vanilla raids (modernized MC/BWL?), with one or two other amazing raids again (like Ulduar and ICC during Wrath)? Might not be bad.

They need to fix how every class plays, though. They fucked that up bad with the removal of artifact weapon abilities. And it felt fucking horrible when the prepatch hit during WOD before you got your artifact weapon, why they didn't revert to WOD style or some derivation makes no goddamn sense. They stripped these key abilities that they redesigned classes around and expected them to play well when they simply removed said abilities.... WRONG.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously Diablo 4: The Hastily Constructed MMORPG will replace WoW when it dies.

Rime

<Donor>
MMOs are, sadly (if you enjoy them), going the way of the dodo. Only older people tend to play them, all the 'kids' are so caught up in their Battle Royales and whatnot these days. Now, if I could just keep them off of my darn lawn.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm looking forward to whatever fills the WOW void when it finally loses its titan grip on the market. BfA was the first time I honestly considered this. We joked back during Cata and the last half of WOD, but then we got Mists and Legion as followup. If highs are followed by lows, the next expac is going to fondle my balls while inhaling my load. Where the fuck are they gonna go from here without fundamentally changing what the game is, as if they haven't already done so with the absurd dumbing down of everything.

A level squish down to 60 on the next expac, post wow classic, what are they going to do, revitalize two vanilla raids (modernized MC/BWL?), with one or two other amazing raids again (like Ulduar and ICC during Wrath)? Might not be bad.

They need to fix how every class plays, though. They fucked that up bad with the removal of artifact weapon abilities. And it felt fucking horrible when the prepatch hit during WOD before you got your artifact weapon, why they didn't revert to WOD style or some derivation makes no goddamn sense. They stripped these key abilities that they redesigned classes around and expected them to play well when they simply removed said abilities.... WRONG.

The next xpac is going to be as bad as this one. They have learned nothing from their mistakes with bfa, and Ion will still be in charge. They'll ride the subscriptions into the ground and blame their failure on the game being old. They'll cut back on devs, so xpacs will become smaller with fewer features and infrequent content updates. Look at how little they have done with bfa since its release vs Legion at the same point in time. Not only that, they are taking away resources to release the shitshow that will be Classic.

Think about that....their current devs are so bad that all they can do is reskin a shitty Chinese mobile game, and recycle the work of talented people who have long since left the building. World of Warcraft Classic. Diablo Remastered. Diablo II Remastered. Starcraft Remastered.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
MMOs are, sadly (if you enjoy them), going the way of the dodo. Only older people tend to play them, all the 'kids' are so caught up in their Battle Royales and whatnot these days. Now, if I could just keep them off of my darn lawn.

They are going away because no one has made a compelling one since WoW. GW2 almost had something, then they shit the bed. An amazing new MMO could lure in a big crowd, but no one is working on an MMO now.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm curious why people think the MMORPG genre is dead, 10-15 years ago there was WoW and almost nothing else, today there's lots of them besides WoW being "not dead" aka having regular content updates : Final Fantaxy XIV, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, EvE Online, Star Wars The Old Republic (okay this one might be dead), and I'm not even talking about Runescape, MP2, and the asian market (Lineage, etc). To me a dead MMO is a MMO which got shutdown, like Warhamer or Wildstar recently. You can argue some of the MMORPGS I cited are barely alive, but I don't think the MMORPG genre is dead. On the other hand, most of the upcoming "interesting" MMORPGs being on crowdfunding development hell, could be a sign big companies don't want to invest in them.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Why invest hundreds of millions of dollars and years of development into a AAA MMORPG skinner box, when you could instead funnel money into a mobile "MMO Lite" skinner box for a fraction of the amount, with a much better profit to cost ratio?

The only new MMO's I see nowadays are on the mobile platform and they all suck and they all make tons of cash. Ex. Lineage 2 Revolutions

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm curious why people think the MMORPG genre is dead, 10-15 years ago there was WoW and almost nothing else, today there's lots of them besides WoW being "not dead" aka having regular content updates : Final Fantaxy XIV, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, EvE Online, Star Wars The Old Republic (okay this one might be dead), and I'm not even talking about Runescape, MP2, and the asian market (Lineage, etc). To me a dead MMO is a MMO which got shutdown, like Warhamer or Wildstar recently. You can argue some of the MMORPGS I cited are barely alive, but I don't think the MMORPG genre is dead. On the other hand, most of the upcoming "interesting" MMORPGs being on crowdfunding development hell, could be a sign big companies don't want to invest in them.

All those games you listed are relics. No good new ones being developed means the genre is as good as dead.

• 1Dislike

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why invest hundreds of millions of dollars and years of development into a AAA MMORPG skinner box, when you could instead funnel money into a mobile "MMO Lite" skinner box for a fraction of the amount, with a much better profit to cost ratio?

The only new MMO's I see nowadays are on the mobile platform and they all suck and they all make tons of cash. Ex. Lineage 2 Revolutions

This is pretty much reality. While those of us older people don't touch mobile games as much those born in the 2000's have no such issues. It was crazy for me to hear relative's son, who is 10, plays fortnite almost entirely on an old iphone and loves it.

That and the profit margin on mobile games is ludicrous. Even original WoW fuck you money doesn't compare to it.

As has been discussed to death before but WoW's dominance of the market has led to the utter lack of diversity in the genre as the entire industry did nothing but attempt to clone WoW for over a fucking decade. I was reading that the current EQ dev team consists of like 10 developers and that's it. Yet they continue to be at least self sustaining lol. Orignal WoW was developed by barely 300 people in total.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users