World of Warcraft: Current Year

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm just waiting patiently for them to explain why Sylvanas is doing what she's doing. Burning Teldrassil was an emotional move against her sister, I get that, but based on her historical actions seems misplaced in a way. Her screeching "for the horde" made even less sense, even if it was completely badass. She must know something. She wouldn't nuke her own city out of spite (or maybe she would?).

Nuking undercity is a legitimate scorched earth tactic. It's mentioned somewhere that that the Forsaken still have holdings and territory in Silverpine and the plaguelands. Letting the Alliance take it gives them a defendable stronghold with infrastructure that they can rally troops out of to finish clearing out the undead from the rest of Lordaeron. Without it they would have to camp the army in Silverpine, and that would leave them open to raids, counter attacks, etc. Since the war is going on in other fronts, they don't have the resources and manpower to establish a secure foothold. Sylvanas bought time and forced the Alliance from being able to retake Lordaeron. It was unpopular, yeah, but it was the right choice.

Is Anduin actually a good, holy dude, or something else. Varian and Sylv got along great. Varian even stayed Thrall's hand. Anduin is a big bitch, and maybe Sylvanas sees that weakness and wants to exploit it? I dunno, both sides aren't good at judging character. For fucks sake Onyxia infiltrated the royal sect of Stormwind, and Thrall, with his wonderful selection of Garrosh, then Voljin with Sylvanas.

Anduin is such a goody two shoes he's unbearably likeable. Part of their "Alliance good, Horde bad" story where everything that is shown is reflected in that light.

The lore has been heavy, but there's been zero realization or payoff, for lack of a better turn of phrase. Is the N'zoth presence just fucking with folk's emotions? What's the connection to Silithus? What's the connection to Northrend? Why does the horde care to attack night elf lands when they've already burned the tree? A lot of "Why the fuck is this happening?" In the past it has pretty much always made sense.

N'zoth is the weakest of the Old Gods, so probably not. I don't think there's much of a connection to Silithus or Northrend other than it's more Old God stuff. When Garrosh was warchief, he pushed into Ashenvale because the Horde desperately needed wood. I'm sure that securing the forest, its resources, and stamping out all remaining resistance would help out a lot.

Can someone explain this shit?

Nobody can explain it because not much of it makes sense. Most of the decisions made show that the writers and devs are either stupid, or...well the only conclusion is stupid. They are also hilariously incompetent when it comes to war and militaries, especially when the universe is called WARcraft.

Battle of Dazar'Alor should have been a much more pyrrhic victory for the Alliance because nobody with any military expertise would have sent the Zandalari army to Nazmir to destroy the fleet. If you told me my enemy would land an army on the northern shore, in a swamp, and then march that army through an undead and blood troll infested swamp to invade, I would say, "Sounds good. you let me know when they get to the city and we'll just play defense. I'm sure the supply lines and logistical cost to keep that going are astronomical. They're probably cleaning out a bunch of undead and blood trolls, so good for us when we take it back."

Any outcome they have at this point concerning Sylvanas is going to be weak:

- Sylvanas gets overthrown aka Garrosh 2.0. Absolutely the worst idea.
- Sylvanas was doing the right thing and saving us from N'Zoth/Death, etc. Not even remotely believable. Nothing has been shown to hint this is the case. Saved for neckbeard storywriters who think they're JJ Abrams or M. Night Shyamalan and like to put in unexplainable twists. JlawOkay.gif
- Sylvanas has found a way to harness the power of death, and will use that to transcend and replace Mueh'zala, the Loa of Death. Bwonsamdi saves his own ass by now swearing fealty to her. The war ends when she steps down as Warchief, both sides satisfied that peace will be attainable with her gone. Also sets up the Life/Death aspect they've been pushing to along with the Light and Void story. Next expansion will have Vol'jin be our guide into the Shadowlands and other realms of the dead. Not terrible, but I don't credit the lore team to do anything this complicated. Also seems out of Sylvana's reach without a secret McGuffin artifact.

LOLore and all that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
They should of just made the expansion what we all knew it was going to be 3 fucking years ago which is Old Gods.. instead of LOL HORDE VS ALLIANCE DERP AND GARROSH 2.0 HOLY SHIT WE SUCK DICK AT WRITING.

You literally directly talk to N'Zoth and even have his gift bestowed upon you, I'd say that's pretty old god to me

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You literally directly talk to N'Zoth and even have his gift bestowed upon you, I'd say that's pretty old god to me

That was my point xzi xzi they could of set this up as an old god expac from the start instead of this kind of weird horde v alliance bullshit after we became pals for life fighting the burning legion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Alliance and Horde have been pals since before World of Warcraft was a thing. Thrall and Jaina made it work. Burning Crusade? Together. Wrath? Together. Cataclysm. Together. Mists. Together. WOD, more or less together fixing the Thrall fuck up. Legion, couldn't be more together. Now Sylvanas wants to scorch earth the alliance? Fucking why?

xzi

Mouthbreather
That was my point xzi xzi they could of set this up as an old god expac from the start instead of this kind of weird horde v alliance bullshit after we became pals for life fighting the burning legion.

It's been that way from the start if you've paid mildly close attention, there's two entire dungeons with a ton of old god shit in it. And like, an entire alliance zone. And an entire alliance quest chain if you played alliance I guess. Also there's tentacles fucking everywhere.

Maybe it's for the better it got delayed though cause the game might actually be okay by the time old gods come around and may be memorable lmao

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I would have thought that given they only need to make 4 sets per raid instead of one for each class they would have gone a lot more all out on them.
That's what their excuse was. "We're only making armor sets rather than class sets, so they're going to be awesomely detailed!"

From the look, the artists that were going to develop those armors are all working on something else.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
That's what their excuse was. "We're only making armor sets rather than class sets, so they're going to be awesomely detailed!"

From the look, the artists that were going to develop those armors are all working on something else.

The old over promise and under deliver move.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Lets not fool ourselves. With Morhaime leaving Blizzard, Activision has their claws fully dug in now. Their #1 directive right now is "cut costs". We're not going to see an improvement over BFA armor.

Their best artists are going to get retasked with making cosmetic shit for the store, or sent to working on mobile fuckery.

RIP Blizzard.

F

• 4Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Alliance and Horde have been pals since before World of Warcraft was a thing. Thrall and Jaina made it work. Burning Crusade? Together. Wrath? Together. Cataclysm. Together. Mists. Together. WOD, more or less together fixing the Thrall fuck up. Legion, couldn't be more together. Now Sylvanas wants to scorch earth the alliance? Fucking why?

Wasn't a lot of Mists spent with Alliance v. Horde? Didn't play it, but I thought a good portion of the story they were not working together?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The Mists intro video is an orc and human fighting, interrupted by a panda they both fight and lose to. Then they all fight the darkness, or whatever. Some insect and troll shit in there somewhere, too. But yeah, they did have separate home bases that expac, like this one. No Dalaran.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm still subscribed, but as far as current expansion stuff goes, I now only hit the daily emissary just because I can't break my completionism and do the lfrs once just for the storyline.

I'm not sure how to construct a more damning scenario than that.

• 1Dislike

xzi

Mouthbreather
Lets not fool ourselves. With Morhaime leaving Blizzard, Activision has their claws fully dug in now. Their #1 directive right now is "cut costs". We're not going to see an improvement over BFA armor.

Their best artists are going to get retasked with making cosmetic shit for the store, or sent to working on mobile fuckery.

RIP Blizzard.

F

Why would activision care about my class feeling bad to play? Stop blaming it all on activision and start blaming blizzard more.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We gotta get the classes down to 4 abilities to so we can port the game to phones ;)

(Joking)

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Excuse my drunken shitposting last night, but it really is both at fault.

On one hand there's the directive from Activision to cut costs. There's just no way that's not going to impact the quality of the game. Sure Ion said they're increasing the dev budget but he's lied about so many things it's probably more bullshit.

Then a large part of the blame does fall on Blizzard. There's more shit broken than ever with this game right now, typos all over the place and broken quests that haven't been fixed in years. Specs are being left broken for an entire expansion, it's pretty embarrassing. Ion constantly doing things that make the game more shitty and then explaining that we aren't having fun the right way. It's been a disaster with him and his yes men in charge and sadly I don't think anything is going to change.

I dunno, I don't want to be Chicken Little because I love this game and have always loved Blizzard games in general. I hope I'm wrong and the next xpac is fuckin' balls amazing, but we'll see.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Their story telling/development has always been as disjointed as their content development. They introduce seemingly important characters or start talking about big things and then in the next patch/xpac its completely dropped and never talked about again.

Just look at Wrathion or Yrel. Wrathion is played up as being super important and will be leading the charge against the legion but completely vanishes at the end of MoP. Yrel is one of the main characters of WoD and sees a ton of development and time devoted but after WoD all you see is that shes turned into space Hitler. But at the same time they have a special successor to her with the Captain Freya character during the Argus campaign.

Rime

<Donor>
The biggest issue with their storytelling AND game development is that they want to keep the game as accessible to the person who just picked it up as it is to someone who has been playing since Vanilla. This means that only the major storylines are ever continued and they add so very little in terms of 'evergreen' content.

Think of all of the things that they have added and then just removed once the expansion they were added in is over.

The only things that were big selling points AND stuck around are Heroic Dungeons (TBC) and Mythic+ (Legion) - (And, if you are crazy, Mists of Pandaria gave us Pet Battles).

Almost every other major expansion selling point has been removed, made obsolete, or straight ignored.

Heck, Timewalking (WoD) was added half-way through the expansion because of content drought.

---

And not to mention how SHIT their story telling has been since they started putting all of the 'heavy lifting' of the story in the novels they put out. But this expansion was even better with that... the major point in the novels, GOOD ALIGNED FORSAKEN that Sylvanas SLAUGHTERS for trying to leave the Forsaken faction are ignored. It was part of the reason she felt she had to make a major move (burning Teldrassil) and force the Alliance's hand.

Last edited:

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GG Blizzard ...

Screenshot_20190420-081443.png

• 1Worf