World of Warcraft: Current Year

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I haven't touched WoW since Burning Crusade. This latest expansion intrigues me, but after not playing for almost 15 years, I'm afraid I'd be totally lost and not able to catch up. It's pretty sad that this is still the best MMO on the market, and it's older than most of my nephews and niece...

Same boat here. I'll see how the reviews go.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What always killed FFXIV for me was how boring the gear system was. Of course, that left me pretty nettled when wow dropped tier set bonuses, but they've maintained enough weird/gameplay-affecting gear to keep me satisfied.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FFXIV is pretty damn good at max level. Anything before that though? Its a slog.

Fyff Fyff , The group BoozeCube BoozeCube and I were in the first quarter of Legion cleared Heroic Nightmare and cleared a couple bosses in Mythic without even caring to concentrate on Mythic progression. Picking on him much? lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What always killed FFXIV for me was how boring the gear system was. Of course, that left me pretty nettled when wow dropped tier set bonuses, but they've maintained enough weird/gameplay-affecting gear to keep me satisfied.

Oh yeah that's a very valid complaint, gear is purely stat boost, and boring ones at that(there's literally only 3 substats for DPS, with a 4th for healer and tanks that's highly situational and dropped for DPS whenever possible because everyone's a DPS) and no item procs, active trinkets(then again there's way more skills in FFXIV than any wow class even accounting for trinkets and stuff like warlock health stones and shit like that, and trinkets are really just additional skills) and no fancy legendary effect. One positive side effect though is you don't need artifact power x or borrowed power y for your class to feel complete and you don't run into "well this drop is 30ilvl higher but rolled poor affixes so it's actually shit" as a result, the only time a high ilvl isn't an upgrade is when the lower ilvl is within 5ilvl(in extreme cases in the past 10ilvl) and the substat primary is crit while the higher ilvl is some other stats. It's pretty rare though and many classes have moved away from crit dependency to an extent too.

Anyway XIV is full of flaws, that much is obvious to anyone who's at least a bit objective, but there's certainly several things it does better than wow, often because it uses a more simple approach that's similar to old wow instead of the new system on system shit they do nowadays.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Between talents, covenants, soulbinds, conduits, legendaries and gear, Raibots is gonna thrive.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
That's actually not true. You wouldn't know because you don't play though. Keep shitting on something you know nothing about.

Good luck getting all your essences.

You are a fucking retard and are wrong again, but since you want to go down this rabbit hole you cock gobbling Blizzard fanboi then please explain to us how relevant anything prior to 8.3 is. We'll gladly wait for your indepth response.

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
FFXIV is pretty damn good at max level. Anything before that though? Its a slog.

Fyff Fyff , The group BoozeCube BoozeCube and I were in the first quarter of Legion cleared Heroic Nightmare and cleared a couple bosses in Mythic without even caring to concentrate on Mythic progression. Picking on him much? lol

Any time I have even bothered to play this game for a couple of weeks I've outclassed Fyff Fyff blue parsing Demon Hunter of all fucking things on everything I've tried. I would be willing to make a forum bet I could level a brand new DH and outclass Fyff Fyff inside of 2 weeks time.

Only been playing WoW for 15 years so clearly I wouldn't know anything about it since I don't subject myself to every failure of a patch. They must of really turned things around in the last 6 months even though all evidence in existence points to the contrary. Despite thousands of videos, posts, reviews, etc.. decrying the very things we talk about to him until you are actively grinding corruption this very second you couldn't possibly understand the nuance he things he has of the situation.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I can't believe this, but both of my level 60 characters are still saved. I have a 60 mage, and a 60 rogue (both Alliance). Does that even matter? Would I be better off just restarting with a new character? If so, should I go Horde or Alliance?

Merrith

I can't believe this, but both of my level 60 characters are still saved. I have a 60 mage, and a 60 rogue (both Alliance). Does that even matter? Would I be better off just restarting with a new character? If so, should I go Horde or Alliance?

Horde/Alliance choice mainly will just be about what you want to do. I don't know how population density is on servers these days or if it slants one way or the other but if it did and you wanted to raid that might influence your choice. You shouldn't need to start a new character after all going from 60 to 120 is faster than 1 to 120. I don't know if DK's/DH's start at advanced levels still.

Now if you cared about seeing zone changes that happened in Cata to the old world stuff, you might want to start a new character to play through some of that. But you might not care about it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Horde/Alliance choice mainly will just be about what you want to do. I don't know how population density is on servers these days or if it slants one way or the other but if it did and you wanted to raid that might influence your choice. You shouldn't need to start a new character after all going from 60 to 120 is faster than 1 to 120. I don't know if DK's/DH's start at advanced levels still.

Now if you cared about seeing zone changes that happened in Cata to the old world stuff, you might want to start a new character to play through some of that. But you might not care about it.
If you are not going to do high end raiding/high key mythics play whatever faction you want. Otherwise in the US if you want to maybe do those things you pretty much need to go horde.

• 1Like

Daidraco

If you're not going to be playing with friends, and rerolling is an option - I would at least roll on the guild server as Horde. The guild is dead af right now, but every single expansion, it jumps up to over 200 online at peak times. If rerolling isnt in the works for you - I would consider at least researching your server to see if its alliance heavy. If it's not, and you're the underdog.. anything even remotely close to PVP will make you miserable. Blizzard has this wonderful habit of making some BIS (armor, weapon, essence, w/e) for a specific class or role, obtainable only through PVP. If you decide to roll on Hyjal as a Horde, I can invite you to the guild - but it would be more worth your while for you to roll on Hyjal as Horde. Then find a guild of active people until Shadowlands. Then.. think about joining the forum guild while its popular. I've heard countless times that people arent playing the new expansion but I always see the same faces.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I still haven't decided if I'm going to start playing WoW again or not. Honestly, there are so many good games coming out soon (Cyberpunk, Everspace, GTFO, Star Wars, etc...) I'm not sure I want to commit the time necessary to catch up and be part of a raiding guild (I can't do casual, not in my blood). Sucks I went Alliance with both of my characters. Should've rolled Horde....

Cybsled

Viscidious as Alliance was hard as fuck, because we didn't have shamans to help freeze. So fun being a warlock and spamming a level 30 ice wand auto-attack because I can't do shit otherwise lol