World of Warcraft: Current Year

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
What did they do to the classes? Do any have interesting rotations? Last time I played was frost dk in cata - it wasn't complex then but looks braindead now. What're the like most deep/interesting classes? A couple of buds are telling me arena won't be awful this time around and they want company in 3s, so pretty tempted to check out the game (not just arena) for a month or so - good release timing for me.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Except now the M+ in SL will be lower than Heroic, not just mythic. Also was there a cap on the titanforging early in BFA where it stayed below mythic level?

Sadly no, although many did ask that they make TF only proc up to the next content level. Blizzard ignored it.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, they ain't fixing that. We've had 16 years of their balancing. It's going to be a total clusterfuck.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. They might have time to not make it game breaking, though. Not balanced, but semi close, right?

Araxen

Yeah I was being sarcastic. They might have time to not make it game breaking, though. Not balanced, but semi close, right?

Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breathe. It seems like they have a shit ton of work to do before release, and very little time to do it. From one of the video's Preach posted he said there literally nothing to do in the Maw. It's very worrying to hear that kind of stuff this late into the expansions dev cycle.

Fucker

Log Wizard
What did they do to the classes? Do any have interesting rotations? Last time I played was frost dk in cata - it wasn't complex then but looks braindead now. What're the like most deep/interesting classes? A couple of buds are telling me arena won't be awful this time around and they want company in 3s, so pretty tempted to check out the game (not just arena) for a month or so - good release timing for me.

They are replacing the skills they culled out before BfA, but are kinda staying on the GCD revamp they gave us with BfA. Correct me if I am wrong, folks.

Now we have more skills, but on the GCD...I could be wrong there, but I think we now have a much greater choice of what buttons not to push than before? This is what winning looks like.
And then they have covenant things which increases your chances of fucking your character up by 66%.

So they are throwing a pile of old class skills on top of a laughably bad GCD system. But not all skills or spells, just kinda here/there.

Neat.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They just took a ton of stuff back off the gcd.

Covenants will still fuck this up along with their inability to theorycraft anything before it goes live with glaring balance issues.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Once again an obvious "fix" to the 1% progression raiders getting loot. This has nothing to do with anything else.
To be honest, and maybe I am the minority here: I'd find it better if they don't shower you with loot that has random, but in the end uninteresting and mostly useless stats, Diablo-style. Back to less, but meaningful and interesting loot. You know, designed and not thrown out by a random number generator. Things Blizzard added the scrapper for.

Titanforging, third secondary stats and added sockets are only the tip of the iceberg. We didn't have interesting mechanical loot that changed your playstyle since what feels forever. You know, things like tier set bonuses, or the wolfshead helm in vanilla that enabled feral druids to powershift. Things you could look forward to and work towards.

Also, the legendaries are not "legendary" if everyone is required to have one. They were a status symbol for a reason. Now everyone is required to have one. The Onyxia cloak wasn't legendary, so why is the current cloak?

What're the like most deep/interesting classes?
There are no real "deep" classes in the game. All have basic gainer/spender + proc mechanics, either through bars or combo points. There are more mechanically challenging classes, but they don't gain you any advantage. For example: Feral druid is still like spinning plates, and you can choose to add Savage Roar to the plates you manage through a talent, but in the end you don't have a DPS advantage over the passive choice in the talent row. So why make your life more miserable and increase ramp-up time?

FFXIV has more innovative class concepts, e.g. red mage: build up two energy bars that you have to balance from range, then spend it all in a short burst of melee range.

The most fucked spec this time seems to be windwalker monk, who were promised changes and nothing happened. Didn't even get a blue post, when even enhance/elemental shaman got changes this time around. So if you want to be miserable and play a spec with small bugs that reach back multiple expansions: play a windwalker monk while the demon hunter in the group goes "lol, eye laser goes brrrr" and still makes more DPS than you.

I'm going to roleplay Mist and therefore will play a windwalker in Shadowlands.

Merrith

Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breathe. It seems like they have a shit ton of work to do before release, and very little time to do it. From one of the video's Preach posted he said there literally nothing to do in the Maw. It's very worrying to hear that kind of stuff this late into the expansions dev cycle.

We know how they'll sell that bullshit. They'll just claim at release the focus is on going through the zone stories, choosing a covenant, and beginning whatever form of campaign those covenants have. The Maw will kind of be this side thing, with just enough in there to fulfill whatever early duties you need to do for your covenant there, but not be fully fleshed out in the slightest.

Daidraco

The Maw is Tanaan Jungle from WoD - simple as that. It'll limp along in some low content state until "an event" (ie. a major patch) and then it'll be a center piece of content that you are forced to do at a later time in the expansion. Taking bets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Maw is Tanaan Jungle from WoD - simple as that. It'll limp along in some low content state until "an event" (ie. a major patch) and then it'll be a center piece of content that you are forced to do at a later time in the expansion. Taking bets.
I bet this too. I think this is why they don't seem to be focusing much on it. I bet 9.1 gets a BIG maw focus and it becomes something more like mechagon as you take the war to the jailer.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All I want for WW Monk is
-Remove SEF, it's rife with bugs that never get fully fixed.
-Retool our abilities to actually scale with stats so that we aren't "really good in greens, garbage in purples" and so that you don't have to just give us a flat +10-15% damage aura boost every raid tier to get us back up to Mid-tier until everyone finishes gearing and we're back in garbage land. (Being a dps class that hard-stacks Versatility because every other stat sucks is NOT an enjoyable thing).
-Stop making every new borrowed power thing "more resources!" We're fucking drowning in resources already.
-Remove the Physical Damage Debuff application from Brewmaster.

Other than that I really enjoy the core play of WW monk. Could go for some more leaning into the "ability combos" thing. Whirling Dragon Punch is always fun to push... when it isn't bugged.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s weird they are letting us in the Maw when there really isn’t anything to do there.

Daidraco

It’s weird they are letting us in the Maw when there really isn’t anything to do there.

The maw has content - but its gated. From the streams Ive watched of people trying to "see all the content it offers" - it reminds me of Firelands. You build up stuff the longer you play, unlocking more and more as you go. But it doesnt look like "enough" to justify an entire zone. Secondly, the rewards from doing it .. from what I can gather anyways... help you very little in any other part of the game. Thats why I'm just resigned to believe that its a Tanaan Jungle.

All I want for WW Monk is
-Remove SEF, it's rife with bugs that never get fully fixed.
-Retool our abilities to actually scale with stats so that we aren't "really good in greens, garbage in purples" and so that you don't have to just give us a flat +10-15% damage aura boost every raid tier to get us back up to Mid-tier until everyone finishes gearing and we're back in garbage land. (Being a dps class that hard-stacks Versatility because every other stat sucks is NOT an enjoyable thing).
-Stop making every new borrowed power thing "more resources!" We're fucking drowning in resources already.
-Remove the Physical Damage Debuff application from Brewmaster.

Other than that I really enjoy the core play of WW monk. Could go for some more leaning into the "ability combos" thing. Whirling Dragon Punch is always fun to push... when it isn't bugged.

Unfortunately, my favorite time with the Monk in Tanking and DPS was in MOP when they were launched. If it wasnt for the vast swings in DPS in WoD, I thought they were fun then. That's the main problem I have with the class. It's a fun class that I enjoy playing, but it hasnt.. well, the dps hasnt shown viable since MOP.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I tried playing WW every tier in BFA and it was trash in all of them. I will once again try to play it in SL but it's not looking promising. I'll probably be raiding on my Mage with the way things are looking.

They said they were looking at monks a month ago and changes would come within a week, then nothing happened, so I think they looked into it, decided it was too much work and said fuck it. They'll play it or they won't.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It's a fun class that I enjoy playing, but it hasnt.. well, the dps hasnt shown viable since MOP.
At least brewmaster is going back to its MoP roots with things like shuffle and clash. I miss the targetable keg smash, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user