World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is no real reason for the last 6 months to do anything outside of raiding except maybe weekly m plus. The rest would make you more effective but not necessary. Like once you got 75 traits there was no reason to do anything except for fun.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm pretty much stuck on the holy priest challenge. P4 just fucks me every time. The shitty ass rogue always gets focused down and I just can't heal the spirits fast enough while keeping her dumb ass alive. I'm running binding heal, apotheosis which I pop along with a pot. I don't use drums there, I save that for the next part. I just don't know how to get through P4 better. I've only made it twice, once with like 6 adds, another with 2 from lucky holy word crits.

Use drums. P5 is a free win (on all the healers I have done).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I returned to WoW about 2 weeks ago after not playing since MoP. And I only played MoP for about 2 months on release.

My god WoW is really good right now. Like if you just give it a chance and immerse yourself in all the changes they've made to the game it is just a really damn good game. There's just endless content to consume, particularly if you like doing out of the ordinary stuff like pet battles, playing alts, actually reading quests and learning the lore, soloing old raids, professions, transmog, etc.

Legion is so damn good it's kind of amazing. I'm really enjoying the Legion storyline and cinematics. I kept hearing modern WoW is shit so I didn't have much hope beyond just playing the first part of the expansion (I always enjoy the first parts of expansion and leveling for the first time and exploring the zones for the first time, but I usually quit after that). I could be wrong and get bored soon, but so far I feel like I am not going to get bored this time around and will probably be active longer than a month or two for the first time in like 10 years.

If you're reading this and haven't tried WoW in a while and have been contemplating returning, I definitely recommend it. And I would say do it now rather than later, so you can enjoy Legion before BFA comes out.

Legion had me actively playing my main pretty much through the whole thing. Normally I run out of content and only bust out my main for raiding while I putter on alts. This go round I did not do any real alt playing until about 4 months ago and still actively doing stuff and progressing on my main character. They did about as good of a job as you could hope for with content to do and work on throughout legion. If they can hit this pacing in BfA I will be very happy.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm a casual player and will always be a casual player. I don't miss being hardcore at all - when I look back on it I never really even enjoyed it. I enjoy being casual way more. I mean I guess I enjoyed being hardcore in Vanilla, being at the top of the game and racing others to get the first epic mount on server etc. but that was when I was a teenager - things are different now and I wouldn't want to go back to that.

That said I don't understand why some hardcore players do certain things that only cause them frustration and burn out. If there is a super mega rare mount that you want to get before it stops dropping, if you keep going after it past the point of fun and into the land of frustrating hatred fueled rage and burn out, that's on you. Stuff relating to the strength and performance of your character and min/maxing your character for raids is different, and I totally get why that sucks dick. I can see the RNG already and how that would be really annoying. My first legendary pity timer had to have been super high by the time I finally got my first lego (yesterday) because I had completed like 27 raids and like 50 dungeons, 5 invasions and like 100 world quests with no drop, and that sucked. Luckily I got one of the better legos; I'd have been a little disappointed had it been like Sephuz or whatever. I can't imagine without the pity timer - would be too frustrating.

The Titanforged stuff is supposed to be a nice bonus, and it is for a casual player, but damn I can see how that would suck bad for a hardcore, since you basically have to just run the raids over and over until you get the Titanforged version.

Anyways, casual for life - this game is so good as a casual. Why not switch to casual if being hardcore causes huge burnout and boredom though? Or do you just not enjoy the game at a casual level?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
For some reason I feel compelled to try and play the game at the top end and I don't really think I could take the game at a casual pace. Especially with getting back into top end raiding with Legion, it felt exciting to gain ranks in the US throughout the raid tiers.

I mean we were racing for server first on Bleeding Hollow for Argus and if my guild had stuck together it would have happened and we would have been top 50 US or somewhere around there. I joined during Nighthold and we were US 131 after getting Gul'dan, so to me, I had this sense of progression with mythic raiding as we had jumped up in the ranks.

I don't think I could go back to just wanting to only do heroic mode as to me mythic always offered just that next step up in difficulty, even though it may feel like you're slamming your dick in a drawer.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I know it's accepted in their ToS these days but goddamn do I wish Blizzard should just ban every single one of these faggot cocksuckers selling runs nonstop. That's all fucking trade is, Captain dickwad and pals selling this run and that run eat shit you scummy cunts.

• 1Like

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'd always heard not to use drums during the MC phase because your dumbass party then just beats the shit out of each other harder. Is this not the case?
I’ve done all the healing challenges but resto shaman (just need a bit more gear) and I’ve always lusted right when the first set of ghosts appear and I’ve necer noticed my guys doing more damage.

For priest it should be lust on first wave and use the buff that increases healing on the target and flash heal/healing word then apotheosis/divine hymn on second wave

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I'd always heard not to use drums during the MC phase because your dumbass party then just beats the shit out of each other harder. Is this not the case?

If you lust after they start fighting but when the ghosts come out your party does not get lusted. Did it as resto druid and shammy, not problems either way aside from my heals being too good because of gear so i had to sit in the pools longer so I didn't nuke my squad.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know it's accepted in their ToS these days but goddamn do I wish Blizzard should just ban every single one of these faggot cocksuckers selling runs nonstop. That's all fucking trade is, Captain dickwad and pals selling this run and that run eat shit you scummy cunts.
At least it will be out of group finder now. I don't really read trade but trying to pug a +15 is aids times 9/11 because if you put in 15 you get 700 sales ads.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Got an attempt to 9% after accidentally touching another fire patch while moving and nuking my low-health ass instantly. I don't think I can do it anymore, after 40 or so attempts. It's so fucking long and exhausting. Just feels bad being so close to getting all the apperances and just hitting a brick wall now.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So here is where I am at currently, War, DK, Mage, DH fully done all specs, Hunter BM done and Druid Feral and Guardian done. So that's what 14 out of 36 done. Still have Paladin, Priest, Lock at max level and Rogue, Monk, and Shaman that need to be leveled although I could just blow a 110 boost on them and I still have 2 100 boost left that I probably will never use.

At this point what do you guys recommend, either easiest so might as well knock em out or just cool looking and should be in the collection. At this point I got the ones I wanted so everything else is just kind of fluff.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ret Paladin is very easy (Sigryn), Aff Lock is very cheesable and Demo is also Sigryn and pretty easy. All 3 Rogue appearance are fairly easy, WW Monk is also pretty easy. Don't know anything about the other classes/specs.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Ret Paladin is very easy (Sigryn), Aff Lock is very cheesable and Demo is also Sigryn and pretty easy. All 3 Rogue appearance are fairly easy, WW Monk is also pretty easy. Don't know anything about the other classes/specs.

Thanks Khane I will see about knocking out Ret next then. I guess maybe Prot Paladin too since I have spent enough time with Kruul on the other tanks.

Khane

So I built a badass new PC yesterday (Ryzen 7 2700X, 1080Ti, 32g RAM) and let me tell you what. The Twins challenge is about 1000x times easier now because I can set my view distance all the way up and I can actually see the fucking hands and rune spawns. Holy fuck what a difference. I cannot tell you how frustrating that challenge was for me on my fischer price PC.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Having a nice computer helps a ton even if WoW can run on most machines having a decent one really makes a difference I put together an i5-8600k, 1070gtx back around December upgrading my old 5-6 year old PC and it made a world of difference. I do kind of want a 1080ti but the difference between paying $400 vs $1000 for a video card was hard for me to justify.

That being said I am starting back up a traveling job soon and will be in the market for a new Laptop soon, since I will be playing WoW mostly on the road or in hotels, and while my potato PC can run the shit it's getting to be old. I might have to seek out some recommendations from you guys on that in a couple of months.

Have you guys already updated your UI's for BfA? It took me a while to get things mostly where I liked them in Legion but with all the class changes and shit I might need to get some new weak auras and things.

Khane

Should have plenty of time to update UI after pre-patch but before BfA actually hits. There won't be much to do in the meantime since the pre-patch even looks like it's going to be pointless and boring

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
For some reason I feel compelled to try and play the game at the top end and I don't really think I could take the game at a casual pace. Especially with getting back into top end raiding with Legion, it felt exciting to gain ranks in the US throughout the raid tiers.

I mean we were racing for server first on Bleeding Hollow for Argus and if my guild had stuck together it would have happened and we would have been top 50 US or somewhere around there. I joined during Nighthold and we were US 131 after getting Gul'dan, so to me, I had this sense of progression with mythic raiding as we had jumped up in the ranks.

I don't think I could go back to just wanting to only do heroic mode as to me mythic always offered just that next step up in difficulty, even though it may feel like you're slamming your dick in a drawer.

I used to have that problem. It's something you have to exercise and train yourself not to do. It takes practise. It's like being glued to your phone while watching a movie or spending time with your partner or something. If you sit down and watch 1 hour of Netflix, often times that 1 hour is much more satisfying and fulfilling if you're not also glued to your phone at the same time. They're just bad habits that require practise. Sometimes I catch myself doing it in small ways like not reading quests. I have to slap myself and remind myself that I actually enjoy the game more when I slow down, read quests, and take my time.

Like everyone kept telling me "Go to Argus, go to Argus, you'll get better gear!" I didn't feel like going to Argus yet; I wanted to arrive there naturally. I was just going with the flow with my quests and such, doing whatever seemed most important in my log or whatever I thought would be the most fun. I like it that way. I just now got to Argus last night at ilvl 910 lol. I'd have gotten better gear and gotten it faster had I gone straight to Argus, but I also would have had less fun.

Try practising man, you'll thank yourself for it and you'll enjoy other MMO's you play more as well too. Start small, read a quest here and there. Obviously reading quests isn't necessary and is just one example, and you can still be casual and enjoy the game in a casual manner without reading quests, but it's an example of a learned behavior that you h ave to practise. If you still love the game and find it fulfilling and fun as a hardcore, than more power to you, keep doing what you're doing.

But if you're finding yourself getting burn out fast and often and you find yourself looking forward to finishing that raid or that daily so you can finally log out, you gotta change your attitude. Some people prefer to just go hard, get burned out, quit, come back, go hard, get burnt out, quit, and that's fine too. I like a slow burn myself. I never ever want to have that feeling where I can't wait to finish whatever I'm doing in game so I can be done with it already and log out. Ugh I'm too old for that shit now, and my time is too precious to be spending it "playing a game" that I'm not actually enjoying. I dedicate time to games for fun and relaxation - full stop. If the game isn't doing that, I won't spend my time on it - time is precious.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users