World of Warcraft: Current Year

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
In Classic a Night Elf Hunter with Shadowmeld active could cast an Aimed Shot without leaving stealth (you lost stealth when the casting was completed instead of when it was started) and that made Night Elf Hunters almost their own subclass of Hunter. Before you even saw them you had taken an Aimed Shot/Auto/Arcane with more heat on the way. Dwarf Priests had Fear Ward. Fear Ward gave the Alliance a key advantage in fights where fear was part of the encounter. Tremor Totem was just nowhere as good as being 100% sure the tank was never, ever going to be feared.

Personally I'm in the camp of preferring the oddities and imbalances but there's a lot of value in homogeneity. It's just one less thing to worry about when maintaining the game and designing new content. If there's a real, tangible advantage to be had from a particular race or race/class combination than it's going to be the standard. Picture a nightmare scenario of a Mythic raiding guild all race changing to Dark-Iron Dwarf because their click racial dispelled Putrid Blood or something similarly stupid. Fancy racials open up those kinds of doors. Thirty dollar race changes are going to piss people off right quick when they are buying them because one decision they made at character creation ten years ago is keeping them from getting Mythic+ groups, from joining a guild they want to join, or feeling obligated to race change because they don't want to feel like they are holding back their friends and guildmates.
Dude, people already race change because troll gives the highest dps. Absolutely they'd do something shady and fucked up to feed into that monetary return.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In Classic a Night Elf Hunter with Shadowmeld active could cast an Aimed Shot without leaving stealth (you lost stealth when the casting was completed instead of when it was started) and that made Night Elf Hunters almost their own subclass of Hunter. Before you even saw them you had taken an Aimed Shot/Auto/Arcane with more heat on the way. Dwarf Priests had Fear Ward. Fear Ward gave the Alliance a key advantage in fights where fear was part of the encounter. Tremor Totem was just nowhere as good as being 100% sure the tank was never, ever going to be feared.

Oh you are definitely right 100%, shit like Fear Ward was completely one sided and unfair, but still - I wasn't one to really bitch about it to the point of demanding a change though, even though I was Horde. I always shrugged that shit off; it's like having a (insert inferior tank class of the month here) in your raid, when you know having a (insert superior tank class of the month here) would make it easier or give you an advantage for example; sure it would make it easier, but you just deal with it and do the best you can with what you're given/can get.

But yeah, you make a solid point about the M+ population now - fancy racials have no place in WoW in it's current state. That and the population in general seems to be focused way more on the min/maxing aspect of the game than we were all those years ago, when everything was still new and shiny.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, the time for racials to be cosmetic/thematic only is long due. There's a point in an endless series of nerfs where you just have to admit failure and throw it all out. If you really must give advantages in some form then keep them non-combat related, like human rep bonuses/profession related etc...

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The level of stupid you continue to put out day and day amazes me. First you try and pretend to not understand heart of azeroth scaling and now you are trying to pretend that DPS isn't the most faceroll of all specs in the game. Just amazing.
*shrug* It's not stupid man, it's the truth. I never once had to worry about my threat when tanking in all of legion. I tanked Mythic at the start of the expansion pack as third tank with a main DPS and tanked as main tank for a couple months in Antorus but only on heroic level. It was so much easier then worrying about my DPS it was laughable. I played a Havoc Demon Hunter (because it was easy and I am a bad player) and we had 3 buttons and I still found tanking to be easier.

I still stand by the fact that if you had played since the start of the expansion and you were neck level 19 last week you were actively not playing the game. It's not a scaling thing. I understand how scaling experience works. Heck, when I said I thought scaling was good and it would allow people to catch up and not create a gap Khanye told me I was a retard. 19 was really fucking low. I was one level away with 24 hours played at max level. That's a pretty tight race there for a 24 hour played guy versus a guy who has been playing for over a month.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Right, folks, he's chosen "Double Down". Awesome. Let's do this.

*shrug* It's not stupid man, it's the truth. I never once had to worry about my threat when tanking in all of legion. I tanked Mythic at the start of the expansion pack as third tank with a main DPS and tanked as main tank for a couple months in Antorus but only on heroic level.

I didn't "worry" about my threat in Legion until snapping aggro (which happened reasonably often with at least one co-tank) started wiping the raid. Prot warriors were doing fairly high dps near the end of Legion. Sitting around doing nothing for the first 5-10 seconds after tank swaps was definitely a thing, especially on fights like Antoran High Command.

It was so much easier then worrying about my DPS it was laughable. I played a Havoc Demon Hunter (because it was easy and I am a bad player) and we had 3 buttons and I still found tanking to be easier.

Okay, so, as a dps DH, you have to worry about what? Not jumping into lava by mistake when you're using Retreat? Not Fel Rushing past the boss and losing dps (or into aforementioned lava)? Since you're talking about tanking in Antorus, let's use a fight in Antorus as an example.

As a tank, on AHC (again, a fight with mechanics that required some degree of precision), you had to worry about positioning of the boss, clearing mines when not tanking (if that's the strat you used, which we did on N/H, but not Mythic), taunt DR on the boss, debuff stacks, co-tank's debuff stacks, boss switch timer, clicking the shields on 2 of 3 bosses, all while not outaggroing your co-tank, and moving to the next boss on switch to pick it up before it murders some dps.

As a dps, you kill adds, then kill boss, preferably without stepping on mines. If you're one of the lucky ones, you sit in a pod essentially pressing one of 3 buttons on cooldown. Repeat until dead.

And if that doesn't satisfy you, let's talk about tanking Coven, which was an obstacle for a lot of guilds even on Heroic. Or Argus. Or Felhounds on Mythic. That fight was awesome.

Get outta here with your "it's so easy" rhetoric. It depends on the fight. More and more boss fights are not simple tank-and-spanks. Some still are, but many aren't, and now we have to worry about threat all that much more because of this bullshit? Ugh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The stupid part is not that tanking is easy, it's that you implied that the threat change was somehow not retarded because tanking is easy.

And your neck thing is stupid as well. 18 is easy to get, everything after 18 is not.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I just hit 21 and I'm playing pretty often, so I guess I must be doing it entirely wrong. Derp.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm at 22 now although I really havent played much this week. Only ran one Mythic+ and did the LFR in order to get the tradeskill mat. I still need to finish up my Island Explorations for the week tonight.

In past expansions I still ended up doing the WQs even after I finished the faction just because they were interesting and had decent enough gold / resources / whatever. This time round I'm only doing the WQs for the factions I havent finished yet and saying 'fuck off' to the others. Warfront was a serious let down, did it once and then did not feel compelled to do it a second time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If we're gonna bust out some fights that weren't easy to take I'd also throw in mythic imonar. I felt particularly proud of my role on that one - perfectly understanding that a dps DH would've been easier.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Started leveling my Druid, and shit is shape shifting into travel form convenient. I think most of the specs aren't dead? But even if they suck that added convenience might be worth it. Lol

Also, got lucky and an invasion was going last night when I logged in and that's a damn quick way to nearly hit 111.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Started leveling my Druid, and shit is shape shifting into travel form convenient. I think most of the specs aren't dead? But even if they suck that added convenience might be worth it. Lol

Also, got lucky and an invasion was going last night when I logged in and that's a damn quick way to nearly hit 111.

Guardian is an okay raid tank, bad mythic+ tank. Feral is garbo outside of pvp. Boomy has a couple niche fights in raid and is utility dps in mythic+, but the overall dps is weak and dependent on stacking one trait. Resto is in a good spot for everything. PvP wise all of the specs are actually pretty good right now, guardian even has a niche in threes with brambles and the redirection talent giving some of them good rating.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried queuing for some islands on my boomkin I am leveling as somebody mentioned here the XP is really really good. They also appeared to not be joking about upping the drop rate of stuff in there. I got a transmog staff and a pet from the few I did last night testing the XP gains.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Resto is the jam for druids. Take feral affinity and your dps will be good enough to kill any quest stuff you need. The AoE dps can actually be stronger than boomkin and you have way more survivability while out questing. Sometimes if I get into a heroic with a good tank I can be number one dps too.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The basic mechanics of tanking is generally very easy and straight forward. The problem is generally more of situational awareness. Mods help with this a good bit for things like swap the stacks off now type issues. But I still see new tanks aiming the dangerous end of bosses right at their groups instead of spinning them away. For a lot of tanking it isn't can you do this but can you do it while running around backwards. Still pretty easy but some people just can't get that down right.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Let's not forget the hardest part of tanking: Still enjoying it after you do the same pull 500 times and wiping for some retarded reason. Now we get to add "threat" to those retarded reasons. Anyone who supports the change should be forced to tank (It's the easiest role after all).

• 1Like

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Let's not forget the hardest part of tanking: Still enjoying it after you do the same pull 500 times and wiping for some retarded reason. Now we get to add "threat" to those retarded reasons. Anyone who supports the change should be forced to tank (It's the easiest role after all).
Isnt that the same for all classes?

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Parsing green/blue as a dps in a raid is in fact the easiest role to do, you dudes are correct in that.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Isnt that the same for all classes?

Sure, but they aren't changing the threat mechanics on those classes for seemingly no reason. Although I'm sure they could reduce healing from healers by %50 and Fyff would find some reason to co-sign it. He healed LFR once and never had to pay attention so it's necessary.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Oh you guys are arguing with Fyff. It seemed like you were all arguing with the wind to me since I couldn't see the other side of the argument. Glad to see everyone is still disagreeing with our resident "literal retard".

• 1Like