World of Warcraft: Current Year

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So, they're retconning back as far as WOTLK to explain Sylvannas' power:

Q: Did the Jailor see Sylvanas as a threat?
A: We will find out during the story that Sylvanas's dealings with the Jailor started when she threw herself off of Icecrown in Edge of Night. She helped Varian in Legion as a way to thrust herself into a position of power.

• 1Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So, they're retconning back as far as WOTLK to explain Sylvannas' power:
How do people this bad at writing have jobs? Is there some kind of mafia for writers that makes sure they have jobs even though they are garbage?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
How do people this bad at writing have jobs? Is there some kind of mafia for writers that makes sure their have jobs even though their are garbage?

Come now. It took her a decade to put herself into a position of power only to throw it away with a simple misstep when she said "The Horde is nothing" in front of the entire Horde. How can you say that isn't masterful writing?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
WQ refresh faster than dailies as there's a lot more of them, depending on expac. They're effectively the same thing. Bullshit you have to do daily, or more frequently, to obtain rep for some bullshit currency. It worked in Legion, regular dailies sucked before it, and WQ's in BFA were stupid and painful for the reward granted.

That's the difference. It's not that hard to elate or explain or understand. Unless you work for Blizzard.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Come now. It took her a decade to put herself into a position of power only to throw it away with a simple misstep when she said "The Horde is nothing" in front of the entire Horde. How can you say that isn't masterful writing?
Anyone dick hard for Sylvanas since WC3 saw this coming a long time ago.

xzi

Mouthbreather
only to throw it away with a simple misstep when she said "The Horde is nothing" in front of the entire Horde. How can you say that isn't masterful writing?

Another problem the game doesn't do a very good job at displaying to you, but there's a huge amount of precedent for this.

She genuinely trusted Saurfang as a general, and Saurfang in the books & story before BFA especially, has seenw Sylvanas actually show some "humanity" and let her weaknesses through. She lets him see her be impulsive in person. Even when she burns the world tree, he knows she can't help herself to give into her impulses when the right nerve is ticked. "You can't destroy hope", etc

He knows going into that duel with her that he's going to die, but he knows even more that she's going to show her true self to everybody, and she did.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Another problem the game doesn't do a very good job at displaying to you, but there's a huge amount of precedent for this.

She genuinely trusted Saurfang as a general, and Saurfang in the books & story before BFA especially, has seenw Sylvanas actually show some "humanity" and let her weaknesses through. She lets him see her be impulsive in person. Even when she burns the world tree, he knows she can't help herself to give into her impulses when the right nerve is ticked. "You can't destroy hope", etc

He knows going into that duel with her that he's going to die, but he knows even more that she's going to show her true self to everybody, and she did.

I will never pay attention to anything that happens outside of the game when it comes to figuring out the incoherence of the in-game story. They've been pulling that shit for a long time now, and the idea that you need to follow other mediums for the main game story to make sense is insulting on their part.

If the books etc... have them being closer and her trusting him, instead of the tiny amounts of interaction between the two we get inside of BFA, then her mistake would certainly make more sense, and would be a good character arc for both of them. But I'm not going to buy the book/comic "DLC's" in order to enjoy what I've already paid for.

I get that they're just going for spectacle in their storytelling at this point, and that isn't going to change, so I don't expect much from it. I do enjoy picking it apart though.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As much as I think Dom is crazy for the WQ's aren't the new dailies stuff, completely right about the "I need to go outside of the game for this writing to not sound completely stupid and just moderately dumb" stuff.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
As much as I think Dom is crazy for the WQ's aren't the new dailies stuff, completely right about the "I need to go outside of the game for this writing to not sound completely stupid and just moderately dumb" stuff.
I've said it many times before but the height of Blizzard writing nowadays is to have the bad guy appear in a little window in the bottom left corner and brag about how, while you beat their last evil plan, it doesnt matter as you'll never defeat their next evil plan. Spoiler: You beat all of their evil plans.

Meanwhile all the Diablo 1/2 antagonists are way more memorable often from having one line of dialogue in their horrific boss room. Izual appears out of nowhere "Save yourself" and one shots you in Diablo 2. Compare to the shitshow of that character in Diablo 3.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Man fuck duriel. The terror of facing him in hell difficulty as a melee character in hardcore mode.

Edit: duriel not izual

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think they change the refresh rate as the patch cycles continue through the expansion. At BfA release it was 50% recycled at 11am and the other 50% at 11pm server time.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
lol When the lore you write has characters in it that are meta-gaming around your own lore.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I've said it many times before but the height of Blizzard writing nowadays is to have the bad guy appear in a little window in the bottom left corner and brag about how, while you beat their last evil plan, it doesnt matter as you'll never defeat their next evil plan. Spoiler: You beat all of their evil plans.

Meanwhile all the Diablo 1/2 antagonists are way more memorable often from having one line of dialogue in their horrific boss room. Izual appears out of nowhere "Save yourself" and one shots you in Diablo 2. Compare to the shitshow of that character in Diablo 3.

Aaannd you're dead.

• 1Like

Merrith

I think they change the refresh rate as the patch cycles continue through the expansion. At BfA release it was 50% recycled at 11am and the other 50% at 11pm server time.

Pretty sure it wasn't 50/50 split for early part of it. They had a couple that would refresh at 7pm and a couple more at 3 am as well. The two 11's were the vast majority of them, though. I only know this because I would clear the board every day until I hit the reqs for Pathfinder 1.

Daidraco

Im just confused af how this conversation went from not needing to do WQ's unless you want to do bleeding edge content - which is completely false - to WQ's are not dailies - which is completely false.

As others have said, some really good announcements were made about Shadowlands. Some of which would get me back into the game. But I wont believe it till I see it fully implemented upon live.

• 1Like