World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Start by making combat fun again, like it was in Legion.
I watched a Bellular video on Youtube the other day where he argued that classes weren't that fun in Legion, either. They were just blowing back from WoD pruning and were carried by the novelty of all the new shining new things in Legion, like the abilities your artefact weapons and legendaries brought. I have to concur with his point that some classes feel like hitting things with a wet noodle when your "big dick dps stuff" is on cooldown.

Classes have this problem that they need to be accessible for the casual players. Sure, you can spec into a more challenging setup, but you don't gain anything for making your life harder. So Blizzard solves the problem by making dungeons/raids mechanically challenging with higher difficulty tiers.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
hot feet is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Lets just constantly throw you all over the place while being chased by multiple mobs that disable for 5 seconds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Oh that covenant system definitely sounds retarded to me. Anything that isn't just grinding a currency/rep is retarded to me. Developers don't like it when people have control of their own time nowadays, though.
is it daily wizard chores? it sounds like wizard chores.

xzi

Mouthbreather
hot feet is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Lets just constantly throw you all over the place while being chased by multiple mobs that disable for 5 seconds.

I really enjoy it, you can use it to jump over puddles and shit or get out of bad situations, but you have to pay attention to it. Throws you in whichever direction you're running.

However I don't play ranged at all so.. ya know, I imagine it's annoying as fuck for ranged. Sounds terrible.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Just got around to looking these changes over. Much of it seems very 'meh'. As an Arcane Mage I don't miss using Fireblast or Frostbolt and having them around again seems like it just means there will be extra buttons on my bar that I can hit whenever I'm hit with a counterspell-ability...so I fully expect counterspell will be a huge thing again. Similarly I have little excitement at the prospect of Fire ward and Frost ward as additional 'oh shit' buttons.

I always liked that Elemental shaman were tossing around lighting and chain lightning like crazy and now it seems like lightning is an afterthought as elemental shaman will be all about fire and magma? That seems like a miss to me.

I kinda wish they had decided to give each class a NEW specialization rather than re-generalizing the existing ones with a return to base abilities. Something like:

Mage: Arcane, Frost, Fire, Nature (chloro/healing spec)
Shaman : Elemental, Enhancement, Restoration, Fury (magma tossing)
Monk: Windwalker, Brewmaster, Mistweaver, Soulchanneler (ranged dps with a yin/yang flair)
Warlock : Destruction, Demonology, Affliction, Necromancy (Bones and skeletal flair)
Paladin: Holy, Retribution, Protection, Arbitration (ranged dps/heal hybrid with an emphasis on using judgements as DoT/HoTs)
Druid : fuck them, they already have 4...
etc.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I've gotten mostly used to it except for my gnome in Valley of Wisdom. Been thrown off the narrow bridges a few times and gotten stuck under them trying to maneuver back. Gonna have to start using illusions.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got around to looking these changes over. Much of it seems very 'meh'. As an Arcane Mage I don't miss using Fireblast or Frostbolt and having them around again seems like it just means there will be extra buttons on my bar that I can hit whenever I'm hit with a counterspell-ability...so I fully expect counterspell will be a huge thing again. Similarly I have little excitement at the prospect of Fire ward and Frost ward as additional 'oh shit' buttons.

I always liked that Elemental shaman were tossing around lighting and chain lightning like crazy and now it seems like lightning is an afterthought as elemental shaman will be all about fire and magma? That seems like a miss to me.

I kinda wish they had decided to give each class a NEW specialization rather than re-generalizing the existing ones with a return to base abilities. Something like:

Mage: Arcane, Frost, Fire, Nature (chloro/healing spec)
Shaman : Elemental, Enhancement, Restoration, Fury (magma tossing)
Monk: Windwalker, Brewmaster, Mistweaver, Soulchanneler (ranged dps with a yin/yang flair)
Warlock : Destruction, Demonology, Affliction, Necromancy (Bones and skeletal flair)
Paladin: Holy, Retribution, Protection, Arbitration (ranged dps/heal hybrid with an emphasis on using judgements as DoT/HoTs)
Druid : fuck them, they already have 4...
etc.

Some of it is not really there for main rotational power but like what we used to have some extra options. It really sucks for one spell damage type casters to get counter spelled because they get totally shut down. It always felt weird that mages totally lost their other options. Most of what they are talking about adding seems pretty well in line with their initial talk that this is basically just unpruning of some abilities that had niche useage and bringing back some stuff like more totem use for shaman.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Shaman actually kinda excites me. Enhance (I think it was enhance that had this in their section, can't be assed to re-read) where you make your searing totem rapid cast as part of a cool down? Shit like that is cool, and cool is whats missing from a lot of classes these days.

That said, 2h frost is probably going to make me a dk main, if it means we can step the motherfuck away from Breath of Sindragosa

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
incase any of you turbonerds care, wowhead is livestreaming some datamining. Some real neat models so far.

xzi

Mouthbreather
some actual class changes coming in, and profession stuff. Enchanting actually getting enchants back for boots/cloak/bracer/hands again

Paladin changes all sound really good to me, but I actually enjoyed healing with holy power. Word of Glory just becoming a mega Hand of the Protector is pretty gr8

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Nice, making M+ even less enticing right out of the gate in shadowlands!

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Overall, the amount of people that are taking advantage of blowing cool downs for larger mob packs in Mythic + is insignificant. Old raid tier content will be a bit more annoying though.

The notes pointed out that they tried to do this change in Legion as well, but retracted the change. But it's squarely off them trying to improve performance for this game. WoW is getting to the point that it needs a massive overhaul of the entire engine. They can get pretty deep each time in alterations to the engine, but they are pushing this thing to it's limits. These raids are a huge amount of eye candy all over. Environments changing after death of raid bosses, layers on top of other layers, multiplicative effects that continue to draw calculations long after the initial effect etc. I'm not a fan of them changing anything for the worse, but they have got to do something. I shouldnt lag at all on my home PC and this game chunks/hitches/lags all the time now.

On the other side, the NPC's that they are dropping in Shadow Lands look amazing. Bellular said it first, but I for one hope they put some extra time into this expansion. Enough so that it makes a massive impression. If they rush this one out, simply out of a need for cash flow.. then this game is admittedly at it's end-state.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Overall, the amount of people that are taking advantage of blowing cool downs for larger mob packs in Mythic + is insignificant. Old raid tier content will be a bit more annoying though.

The notes pointed out that they tried to do this change in Legion as well, but retracted the change. But it's squarely off them trying to improve performance for this game. WoW is getting to the point that it needs a massive overhaul of the entire engine. They can get pretty deep each time in alterations to the engine, but they are pushing this thing to it's limits. These raids are a huge amount of eye candy all over. Environments changing after death of raid bosses, layers on top of other layers, multiplicative effects that continue to draw calculations long after the initial effect etc. I'm not a fan of them changing anything for the worse, but they have got to do something. I shouldnt lag at all on my home PC and this game chunks/hitches/lags all the time now.

On the other side, the NPC's that they are dropping in Shadow Lands look amazing. Bellular said it first, but I for one hope they put some extra time into this expansion. Enough so that it makes a massive impression. If they rush this one out, simply out of a need for cash flow.. then this game is admittedly at it's end-state.

I also kinda suspect that PVP may be a bit reason for this change. In the epic battlegrounds when the zergs smash into each other the mass AOE that starts basically turns the game into a slide show. I have never had this happen in raids but in PVP the sheer amount of particle effects just kicks the server right in the balls.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Overall, the amount of people that are taking advantage of blowing cool downs for larger mob packs in Mythic + is insignificant.

5-8 mobs is like.... 2 packs. So it's not insignificant at all. Not to mention all the annoying non-elite pulls are affected by this as well.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Bet its going to feel great to use an AoE and that one mob that you really wanted to hit doesn't get hit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, to be fair.. the decision isnt in retail/live yet. So they could still modify it to 12, or something. I "personally" think its insignificant - but you and I both know it's the design philosophy that needs to change if the player is approaching content in that fashion. That, or actually have some non brain dead goals for Mythic + instead of GOTTA GO GOTTA GO!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Are they going to carefully design packs such that a single pack isn't way over the AE budget of a character?

• 1Solidarity

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah that is a very interesting change to push for now/again. I mean right now as a Fury warrior you're already capped at the amount of mobs you AoE/Cleave so really no change there, but of course Arms that's another story.

As for this being a change to ensure the game doesn't shit itself, I did see new datamined graphics options like dynamic frame rate targeting (or whatever that's called), also being able to only show spell effects that actually matter to you and not see everyone's bullshit on your screen.

Edit: Found the new spell effects options:
920280.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users