World of Warcraft: Current Year

Qwirb

Silver Knight of the Realm
It is a dumb post. The first reply to it is pretty spot on though.

Adding abilities to mobs that are avoidable/preventable but have consequences if you ignore them would be a good change. I don’t really care if leveling content is “challenging” in any way but it would be nice to have a little variety in mechanics so it’s not so brain dead.

The zone scaling is mostly what I’m looking forward to.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do miss levelling through zones and experiencing something. Dungeon levelling is fine for speed but it's boring.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you actually play Vanilla? His post is spot on with experiencing entire zones instead of being done with them halfway through. The only thing missing is that you did actually have to group in Vanilla for elite quests, and you couldn't just whimsically pull 50 mobs and mash your buttons without any thought. Remember the death statistics data at the first Blizzconn? The Defias Pillager killed a fuck ton of people. I highly doubt that's even close to the case now. I would wager most people are leveling pretty high before experiencing a death even if they are complete noobs.

Don't get me wrong the entire revamping of the leveling at this point is a total waste of time. I do think if they got it under control much earlier it would've been a worthwhile investment.
I played vanilla as a combat rogue. My problem while leveling was mob density. There weren't enough mobs to kill. I would pull 5 at a time easy. I'm not really sure who died to the defias pillager. Seems like it was probably people getting killed while they waited 20 minutes for loot.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Any of you order hall money makers have some good guides on which champions to keep active for each class?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played vanilla as a combat rogue. My problem while leveling was mob density. There weren't enough mobs to kill. I would pull 5 at a time easy. I'm not really sure who died to the defias pillager. Seems like it was probably people getting killed while they waited 20 minutes for loot.

Weren't Defias Pillagers the ones in the mine to get to the dungeon? Seems like it would probably be just a bunch of people running through to get to DM.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Weren't Defias Pillagers the ones in the mine to get to the dungeon? Seems like it would probably be just a bunch of people running through to get to DM.

Nah, there was a farm or two in Westfall that had them just wandering around and their aggro range was pretty chunky.

e: There might have been some on the way to the mine as well, I can't remember.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's because they only existed in Alliance zones and Alliance are trash

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
That's because they only existed in Alliance zones and Alliance are trash

Yes but ALSO defias bois could (and did) drop a level 16 leather helm that was a bandana that I used until like level 40 on a rogue cause no helms dropped and I looked cool as FUCK. You just had to spend like 3 hours getting there and then farming it while running on foot as an undead through STV

the horror

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My first toon was a human mage, and mage low level were weak as balls, could barely handle one mob at a time. Died a few times in that first farm area to Defias, when assholes would train them all over the place. Took like two or three days just to get enough levels to leave that area with the number of people in the area the first few days of launch. And you had to group for that first silver mob, since whoever tagged it first only got credit, and it was still near impossible with 40-60 other assholes standing around waiting for him to spawn.

Westfall was a nightmare, especially on a pvp server, as a mage, running mostly solo like an idiot. Wasn't until duskwood where it got a lot easier. But you didn't want to go anywhere near STV after that, but Felwood was still a pretty good alternative. I'm sure the Furbolgs in that area had a pretty high murder rate, too.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yes but ALSO defias bois could (and did) drop a level 16 leather helm that was a bandana that I used until like level 40 on a rogue cause no helms dropped and I looked cool as FUCK. You just had to spend like 3 hours getting there and then farming it while running on foot as an undead through STV

the horror

First cloth helm I got dropped in Zulfarrak. Miss when that shit was actually a serious challenge. Not really much strategy, kill certain mobs first, try to control their advance with some cc, and pray line of sight didn't reset the encounter.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I remember playing a Warrior at launch and trying to get to that stupid fucking watch in the chest on one of the Westfall Farms, and because the servers were getting rekt they had the spawnrate for mobs cranked up. Took like 20 fucking minutes to get to the chest, since as soon as you'd managed to kill one pillager and heal back up another patrol or respawn would happen. Hated those NPCs somethin fierce by the time I was done with westfall.

But leveling a Warrior without twinking to bridge the gap to the class quest axe was a bad choice to begin with, so I have only myself to blame :)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There was no reason to pull 5mobs as a rogue since the only aoe you had was Blade Flurry and it was a fairly long cooldown. You could and probably survive, but it wasn't worth doing. Rogues were more about killing mobs really quick 1 by 1, during stunlocks with like cheap shot opener into a 5pt evisc which would kill most mobs right away.

Most classes didn't fight many mobs at the same time on purpose. You could aoe dot kite with warlock but it wasn't that efficient since you had to use CoE instead of CoA and dot damage was fairly garbage and I think you could do the blizzard/frostnova/blink away shit with frost armor slow on mage but overall the game was mostly about single target. 2 or 3 mobs was easy to handle for pretty much everyone and was common though.

I do agree that the idea of "challenge" in vanilla wow is pure rose tinted glasses bullshit though. Leveling was braindead easy even back then and that was a big selling point of wow. Hunters especially could level so easily even the shitty bots at the time could level to cap using them. Most classes could deal with 3-5mobs at the same time provided they had full health/mana at the start even in leveling gear. The only time you needed to group was to do the few elite areas quests, and those could easily be skipped in favor of solo grinding since they weren't that common and they didn't have that many quests.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
So it sounds like no allied shit with the patch.. which is a fucking shame. If I am going to level up anything I really would rather wait until that shit is in. =/

Rime

<Donor>
Allied Races (with the exception of Zanadalari/New Humans - they require the new zones) will be the pre-Order bonus that comes with 8.0. Buy now for 2-4 (maybe 6?) week headstart with the new races! Be ready for BfA! Etc.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Lame, but it's a typical pre-expansion sales tactic. Plus, they'll get a bunch of people leveling new chars and shelling out for a race change come expansion time. Either way, they win.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought westfall wasn't a PvP zone
So it sounds like no allied shit with the patch.. which is a fucking shame. If I am going to level up anything I really would rather wait until that shit is in. =/
What's lame is they're clearly legion races so I don't know why they're attaching them to bfa. It's a money thing though.

Although they'd probably get more subs now if they just did it. Everyone always comes back for new expansions regardless.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I thought westfall wasn't a PvP zone

What's lame is they're clearly legion races so I don't know why they're attaching them to bfa. It's a money thing though.

Although they'd probably get more subs now if they just did it. Everyone always comes back for new expansions regardless.

I agree with you here. I think they would do better to try and retain people during the down cycle by providing leveling shit and other things because people are gonna sub for BfA anyways.