World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Viscidious as Alliance was hard as fuck, because we didn't have shamans to help freeze. So fun being a warlock and spamming a level 30 ice wand auto-attack because I can't do shit otherwise lol

Stack them mages

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Only bad players ever claimed classic was hard. It was always a joke by modern standards and a joke even for the standards of its time.
The trick is, 99% of people are bad players.

Especially me.

Now excuse me while I go stand in some doomfire.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain to me what's going on with WoW? It sounds like you can level up to 120 fairly quickly on BFA, but then they're going to reset everyone back to 60 when the new expansion comes out? Am I missing something, or is it not worth it to level your character up to max level before the next expansion releases? Please excuse my ignorance, as I have not paid attention to anything WoW related in over a decade.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Max level characters will be changed to level 50 when Pre-patch invokes the new leveling changes. Characters below max level will be scaled to a percentage-of-50 similar to their current percentage of 120 (So your alt who is already level 50 isn't going to stay level 50, he's gonna get squished down to somewhere around 22ish). The main reasons to level now would be to acquire gear in order to be over-geared for next expansion's leveling content to try to rush through it faster, which is largely an unnecessary step. Other reasons would be the standard "there's cosmetic/achievement stuff I want," where leveling now would let you work on that before the Expansion comes out. Pre-patch event might also have some limited time items available, so if you care about stuff like that having one max level character might be useful. Of unlikely relevance considering there's only 3-5 months left to do it in, leveling to cap and farming gold for the Auction House Brutosaur before it gets removed in prepatch is also a consideration.

• 1Like

Merrith

The trick is, 99% of people are bad players.

Especially me.

Now excuse me while I go stand in some doomfire.

Also helps to stack casters/dot classes along with hunter pet changes already in (since Classic is 1.12). Ony being hard was always a meme anyways for just complete idiots (of which there were more back then).

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Max level characters will be changed to level 50 when Pre-patch invokes the new leveling changes. Characters below max level will be scaled to a percentage-of-50 similar to their current percentage of 120 (So your alt who is already level 50 isn't going to stay level 50, he's gonna get squished down to somewhere around 22ish). The main reasons to level now would be to acquire gear in order to be over-geared for next expansion's leveling content to try to rush through it faster, which is largely an unnecessary step. Other reasons would be the standard "there's cosmetic/achievement stuff I want," where leveling now would let you work on that before the Expansion comes out. Pre-patch event might also have some limited time items available, so if you care about stuff like that having one max level character might be useful. Of unlikely relevance considering there's only 3-5 months left to do it in, leveling to cap and farming gold for the Auction House Brutosaur before it gets removed in prepatch is also a consideration.

I'm leveling now mostly out of boredom and to see what it's like now since I hadn't leveled from 0 in many years.

The experience is mostly hollow. You go several levels at a time without gaining anything when it comes to mechanics or abilities(especially the higher you go), and because the mobs level as you do you dont really feel like you are getting much more powerful. Not that it matters much because everything is so trivial from the get go anyway.

I decided to level via questing to check out zones from xpacs I didnt play previously but with the bonus xp I out leveled the expansions I was in without ever leaving the first zones.

I'm going to keep going just to do the allied race quests for both horde and alliance. I guess with Shadowlands they are unlocked without the rep so long as the quests are done.

Or until I dont feel like playing while I'm working from home.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah current leveling is pretty terrible. I didn't actually manage to level a character fully when I played, I got a 70, a 90, a DH I got to 112 and the paladin I boosted to 120 who did all the zones in legion and BFA for flying and stuff, but the leveling is really pretty bad, it's fast but feels like shit you go hours without any upgrades, even though you're flying through levels with double xp+heirlooms and even then it still feels like it takes too long, yet you can't experience shit because you basically outlevel expansions off one or two zones. It's just in a really weird spot atm.

That's kinda why they're reworking it and it should be a lot better, you'll gain constant small upgrades(although many of them were artificially created, for example they take one of your passives currently that makes a cooldown do more damage and reduced cooldown, and split it into 2 passives for each and give them at different levels) and you can experience a full expansion while leveling to 50, which in a way gives you several different leveling experiences for new and returning players, which is good if you want to level several characters.

Also from what I understood the goal is for next expansion(the one after shadowlands) to keep the same system, so SL will be added to 1-50 and the new expansion will replace SL for 50-60. They might not do it that way but I think it'd be better overall, it kinda sucks when you keep adding stuff after the other.

Argarth

On the verandah
There's some preamble to add context to the video, but watching from the timestamp below, I'm almost in disbelief.

Assuming I've understood correctly, If Blizzard really goes live with this sort of punitive system, they can shove Shadowlands. I haven't played WoW for ages now, but even my lukewarm interest in what's coming down the pipe has almost evaporated.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Come on we already know what Shadowlands is going to be which is the same as everything else in WoW has been for years since all the talent left and only hack failures remain.

It's going to be visually appealing with some great zone designs and a decent enough experience going through the quests one time. Each additional slog for alts will feel like tedious bullshit.

Their new faggot systems will be awful failure bottle necks that they will ease the strain on over the course of the 2 year expansion until finally getting it to where it should be on release 1.5 years after launch with some lessoned learned speech from Ion.

The raids will be the only content which will be enjoyable but Mythic tuning will remain an arms race with addon designers making it not worth the effort and/or time. All the shit you grind out will be negated each new patch as they ilvl bloat the fuck out of everything negating all previous content.

It will be worth $50 to do everything once and probably worth subbing 1 month each new patch and letting your account lapse after.

Come back in 2 years and quote me on this as it will be 100% on point.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Come on we already know what Shadowlands is going to be which is the same as everything else in WoW has been for years since all the talent left and only hack failures remain.

It's going to be visually appealing with some great zone designs and a decent enough experience going through the quests one time. Each additional slog for alts will feel like tedious bullshit.

Their new faggot systems will be awful failure bottle necks that they will ease the strain on over the course of the 2 year expansion until finally getting it to where it should be on release 1.5 years after launch with some lessoned learned speech from Ion.

The raids will be the only content which will be enjoyable but Mythic tuning will remain an arms race with addon designers making it not worth the effort and/or time. All the shit you grind out will be negated each new patch as they ilvl bloat the fuck out of everything negating all previous content.

It will be worth $50 to do everything once and probably worth subbing 1 month each new patch and letting your account lapse after.

Come back in 2 years and quote me on this as it will be 100% on point.

Perhaps you're right (or will be), but going into a new Expansion with a system this Draconian seems excessive even for Blizzard. Haven't got anything useful to say about BfA because I quit barely a month in, (hated what they did to my two favourite classes) and never came back.

I don't remember anything quite like this in Legion. Sure there was a ton of shitty grind, time-gates and the like - but I don't remember hard lock-outs like this, especially at launch.

Maybe I've been away too long and the memories have faded. Either way I'm pretty much beyond caring at this point, so whatever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I would argue that the Covenant Powers will be even worse than BFA bottlenecks. Astounding design because in their efforts to thwart about 400 people in the entire world from beating their mythic content... they will also piss off Little Timmy. Even Little Timmy who plays one or two characters will recognize that he made a wrong choice for whatever bullshit he's doing in the game in terms of these powers.

Oh shit I picked this shitty heal that doesn't really do anything for me because that covenant looked cool But that vampire AOE dmg one would have been really helpful since all I like to do is run around doing world quests. I have to grind for hours and hours to change it? Whaaat?

Meanwhile, those 400 professional players absolutely will level multiple characters of the same class to mitigate the possible damage of choosing the wrong covenant for the wrong situation.

• 2Like

Daidraco

I just dont see why they dont care to listen to anyone about this design choice. Players have been pointing out how obtrusive it is since it was first announced. Simply having a back story that each covenant has a Soul (Gem, Canister, Zippitty-Doo-Dah - I'd hate for them to think that they were just ripping off FFXIV) that has a Champions Spirit in it. When binded to your character, you now have that Soul Gem Champions abilities, which is part of that Covenant. You - an Outsider - are never really bound to that Covenant, but the Soul Gem you get from them is. The more you do with that Soul Gem, the higher up the soul bind tree you go. If you swap out soul stones to another covenant, the one you switched from pauses all progress instead of losing it - and now you can use the new covenants abilities.

FFXIV's system for classes can be employed in this situation and everyone would be happy as shit. But it's whatever, they dont listen worth af anymore anyways. "We took your feedback, and although they were great ideas - We decided to do the total opposite. Thanks!"

I mean, I enjoy the game when there are people to play with - and I'll be playing Shadowlands. But Preacher is right, when this design decision comes to a point where players (myself included) are going to want to switch covenants for whatever reason, they're just going to get a bad taste in their mouth and want to stop playing. Very likely the point that I will go play something else, myself. Locking people in, (shackling them, sure) with their choice and then wanting them to give up all time and progress with that one covenant just to switch to the next is retarded. We already know theyre going to nerf some Covenants and buff others all throughout the expansion - so fuck Blizzard on this decision.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got to 99. Went to legion. Cant fly. Seems stupid but maybe the leveling will still be super fast. Without flying it changed my mindset from wanting to see stuff to just wanting to get it over with. Not sure why. If it slows down too much that's probably all she wrote with me messing around with wow again.

We'll see though.

On that note they should either remove flying altogether or design xpac questing and zones where flying is allowed at the start. I cant imagine someone who has played consistently for 15 years and has to lose the ability to fly every couple of years and grind dumb reps just to earn back something they already had. Seems like they could at least change the mechanic used to gain access to flying in each new expansion and not make it such an obvious and lazy fuck you to their players.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Got to 99. Went to legion. Cant fly. Seems stupid but maybe the leveling will still be super fast. Without flying it changed my mindset from wanting to see stuff to just wanting to get it over with. Not sure why. If it slows down too much that's probably all she wrote with me messing around with wow again.

We'll see though.

On that note they should either remove flying altogether or design xpac questing and zones where flying is allowed at the start. I cant imagine someone who has played consistently for 15 years and has to lose the ability to fly every couple of years and grind dumb reps just to earn back something they already had. Seems like they could at least change the mechanic used to gain access to flying in each new expansion and not make it such an obvious and lazy fuck you to their players.

The flying bullshit is just another in the long list of reasons Ion should be fired.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I honestly never liked WoW that much to begin with. I thought the first level up to 60 was fun, and the quest grinding didn't bother me too much because it took you from place to place on the map, and most of the raid dungeons were fun as shit. Subsequent leveling, however, became a complete slog. I didn't want to keep doing quest hub after quest hub, it was repetitive and made me want to put icepicks into my eyeballs. At least in EQ you could twink, which made leveling up fun as shit, as you could be totally overpowered. I leveled up a second character to 60, even though it sucked, and then wound up quitting just as BC was released. It just didn't have the same appeal for me as EQ did. Just my preference I suppose.

I'm only slightly interested in playing again because of Covid, and by the looks of things, I'm going to have A LOT of extra time on my hands (quarantine, work from home, no wife, no kids) and there aren't any other MMO's that I'm even remotely interested in playing. Thought I'd give WoW another chance. I probably will. I can get reacquainted with the game while leveling up. If the new expansion is cool, great, I have something to occupy my time. If it sucks, no big loss. I'll just unsub and wait for Pantheon to come out in 2040.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Flying will be unlocked for all expansions when Shadowlands launches (other than Shadowlands, there will be a new pathfinder for it... eventually). You know, the usual bullshit.

Cybsled

They need to treat flying like they do in FFXIV: You unlock flying in a zone when you "beat" the zone. None of this fucking stupid "Get exalted rep with 6 factions you don't give a fuck about".

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Argarth

On the verandah
They need to treat flying like they do in FFXIV: You unlock flying in a zone when you "beat" the zone. None of this fucking stupid "Get exalted rep with 6 factions you don't give a fuck about".
Isn't that how it worked in Mists of Pandaria?