World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the Maw is awesome. Main is already max rep + full sockets, alt is almost max rep, War Mode On the entire time on both.

It's a very old-school ganking/kill stealing rares zone with some actual risk.
tenor.gif

Thats coming from me and I have 38k stygia and maxxed out on rep. Ill be damned if I do it on an alt unless I completely f'n switch.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
tenor.gif

Thats coming from me and I have 38k stygia and maxxed out on rep. Ill be damned if I do it on an alt unless I completely f'n switch.
I will admit it is way less fun on my squeaky wheelchair paladin than it is on my DH that can dash, FLY, charge 50 yards and instakill anyone at half health, or turn into an unkillable tank that can cleave down an entire subzone in one pull...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Out of nowhere a 184 trinket with 52 main stat and an on click 631 mastery showed up on the world quest map. Been struggling to get any trinkets with mastery so if anyone is in the same boat it's in Bastion for the next several hours.

Merrith

Out of nowhere a 184 trinket with 52 main stat and an on click 631 mastery showed up on the world quest map. Been struggling to get any trinkets with mastery so if anyone is in the same boat it's in Bastion for the next several hours.

One part of the Renown upgrades was upgrading the ilevel of WQ rewards. Have had a couple show up although I have better.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Just a heads up at Renown 22+ this week if you need a weapon, you can get an honor weapon and upgrade it to 197 for a few hours of derping around in random battlegrounds.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's a toy you can
Apparently that trinket is BIS for boomkin lol. I guess you pop it and covoke? Something like that.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I got bored of this faster than I got bored of BFA :(

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
So I haven't played retail WoW since WOTLK and resubbed recently on a whim. I barely recognize the game.

A couple questions:
1) How do tradeskills work now? I'm like level 40 in herbalism but it still shows 1/75 on my skill sheet.

2) Everything costs 73626394837 gold on the AH. I'm only level 24 right now but what are good tradeskills to ensure I will make a decent amount of gold at max level?

3) Do all dungeons from all expansions scale all the way to level 60? Or just the Shadowlands ones?

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
So I haven't played retail WoW since WOTLK and resubbed recently on a whim. I barely recognize the game.

A couple questions:
1) How do tradeskills work now? I'm like level 40 in herbalism but it still shows 1/75 on my skill sheet.

2) Everything costs 73626394837 gold on the AH. I'm only level 24 right now but what are good tradeskills to ensure I will make a decent amount of gold at max level?

3) Do all dungeons from all expansions scale all the way to level 60? Or just the Shadowlands ones?

1) tradeskills are on a per expansion basis, so when you get to shadowlands, pick up "shadowlands enchanting"

2) go with gathering tradeskills, I like to take skining/disenchanting, dising unneeded epics is a cool 800 g each, can do it from level 1

3) everything under sl scales

Daidraco

The easiest way right now is to just farm Mythic BOE Cloaks. They end up selling for a million or something depending on the server. But for your average everyday person that enjoys WoW - Simply doing your covenant every day gives you 2k gold for 15 minutes of WQ's. Add in trades and you're probably closer to 3k/day. Multiply that by as many lvl 60's as you have and it stacks up quite a bit and you can see why the market, as time goes, is getting out of hand.

I still like playing the game, but Im starting to not care about logging in every single day. The biggest source of gear is from the weekly chest and if you're done there, there really isnt that much more of a point in logging in daily. I "want" there to be a reason to log in every day, but I dont mind it that I dont "have" to.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
My main motivation for logging in was the Covenant campaign and associated slow-drip of plot elements. We would appear to now be out of those and so I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep logging in. Maybe get to exalted with the 4 main covenant reps I suppose.

• 1Like

Merrith

My main motivation for logging in was the Covenant campaign and associated slow-drip of plot elements. We would appear to now be out of those and so I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep logging in. Maybe get to exalted with the 4 main covenant reps I suppose.

This, although I hit exhalted with the 4 reps a couple weeks before we got to the end of the campaign. At this point I'm not even sure I care about doing the other covenants to see their campaigns because I can just go watch the cinematics anywhere

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I've bounced off it hard.

There's nothing new here - its the Suramar campaign, but you have to do it on four characters!
They've taken the dark secret of WoW - in a game with constant gear / level resets, only toys, mounts, etc. have any long term value - and built the campaign progression around it, as you run out of campaign long before you unlock the silly crap.
Speaking of mounts and silly crap, they've then limited some of the world drops to specific covenants. "Let's artificially cut the defacto drop rate in fourth, as you don't have a chance with every character now!"
Speaking of covenants, they're pretty much a mess. The rewards distributed are wildly different so far, due to differing anima rewards and the completely broken tables for some covenants.
Then, the covenant specific things are wildly divergent in time wasted. The Wild Hunt vs Ember Court is just night and day.
The Maw and Torghast are just duds from a design standpoint - the Maw mostly increases Torghast power, but you probably finish up with Torghast before you get to those upgrades if you have decent gear.
However, if you don't have decent gear, you could easily burn 30-45 minutes on a run until you realize you've bitten off more than you can chew (usually on the last boss) and walk away with nothing.
Also the idea of a Rogue-like where you start with extremely variable power levels (i.e. your gear) then don't increase your power as a result of the run, is, um, broken?
Then the biggest issue, the adjusted drop rates significantly increase the time spent to reward given across the board. They aren't giving us a chance to explore the pvp game, they're just making us burn all the time doing that too to get the progression per week from past expansions.

TL; DR - Shadowlands just doesn't respect your time, even just in comparison with recent WoW expansions. We can all quickly come up with the theory - due to Covid, their point releases will be even more glacial this time around, so drag out how long it takes the suckers to finish up. What it really does is point out the optimal playstyle is even more optimal this time around- sub for a month, finish the campaign, then unsub until 8.2 is about to launch.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Where things get extra uber stupid is the LFR. Only two of the 4 wings are released and yet anyone who has been humming along with the Covenant Campaign now has gear that is nicer than what you get in LFR. I'm cruising around at 196 without ever having even done a Mythic 2. At this point the only thing left for me is higher Renown levels and futzing about with the Adventure Table which, as we already discussed, is fucking horrible for Kyrians.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Where things get extra uber stupid is the LFR. Only two of the 4 wings are released and yet anyone who has been humming along with the Covenant Campaign now has gear that is nicer than what you get in LFR. I'm cruising around at 196 without ever having even done a Mythic 2. At this point the only thing left for me is higher Renown levels and futzing about with the Adventure Table which, as we already discussed, is fucking horrible for Kyrians.

Agreed and while the covenant set might not have the best secondary stats for your spec, the fact that primary stats are worth so much more because they level and stat squished so dramatically that it doesn't matter anyways and 10ilvls will almost always be better in most cases.

Its really a strange decision that they made anything under mythic 8 pointless, considering normal CN isnt hard at all and most pugs can hardly handle M+ as it is.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since BFA the lack of set pieces and whining of raiders they nerfed LFR way to hard. Between PVP sets and covenant sets the LFR stuff is basically for transmogs only again.