World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
New leadership at Blizz has to be female, and ideally a PoC. White males are the problem.
Then you will be delighted when you find out who this is:

Lydia_Bottegoni.jpg

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Ion is a classic example of someone good at something (raid encounter design) being promoted to leadership because of that talent and not realizing that a talent like that says fuck all about leadership capability.

see it all the time in my industry when engineers are technical wizzes and get promoted to leadership and can’t lead for shit. Instead have avenues and challenges for that person in that arena.

It's an actual described phenomenon called the Peter Principle. Basically in any system where you are promoted based on merit, you will naturally tend to stop being promoted once you are put into a position you are no longer excellent at. In that system everyone would ideally be in the n-1 position.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not to go further down the rabbit hole but how long can you (or even would you) hide your current project/company?

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.31.42 PM.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounds depressing - but I'm pretty sure the Rift Alpha FoH Guild had the most support/participation than its ever had (outside of original EQ). Had a ton of fun back then. Was a mix of wanting something new and being part of the Alpha, I .. think? Too bad the game had no staying presence.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I loved the hell out of Rift and definitely miss it. Shame.

Rift may not have knocked it out of the park but it got launched and made them a pretty solid amount of money and is still up and running and presuamably generating revenue. That is a lot more than a lot of games *cough pantheon* are ever able to say.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Rift was very good and did very well financially. Didn't Hartsman leave or get promoted to CEO or something not long after Rift launched? Rift's biggest problem was that its expansions were lackluster and each of those got progressively worse. Then the loyalty loot box system didn't do them long term favors either I think. I am also not sure if going F2play helped either. Also the majority of Trion content they made with Rift money didn't do too well either. Trove and that shooter game that had a sci-fi series.Arche Age may have done okay for them.

EDIT: Just to add that Hammerknell is one of the best raids in any MMO ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was hartman even involved with Rift dev? I think he came in in the middle of dev or even after dint he? And I dnot think he was the lead back then either. I know he used top post here through those times.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
He was the Rift lead dev and left, came back to helm Trion.

\

EDIT: To add Rift launched Mar 1st, 2011 and Scott left in Jan 2013.

• 2Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed Rift in the beginning and actually brought several of my EQ friends with me only to get ridiculed to this day for how bad the game ended up. I really think it could have been a great game. I'm not sure what happened or who made the calls but I stand by it was solid initially. WAR was too. They also made some bonehead decisions that I still don't understand.

Hartsman made some great calls, at least he gets credit for them, with EQ2. Still some of my best times in a MMO.... which again was ultimately ruined by someone.

• 2Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
He did an ok job on eq2 but still left a game that was critically flawed from ability bloat among many other things.
In rift it was a good game but fell into the trap of having ultra hard ddr raid content and started to ignore its rifts and pvp. All in all it was a bad wow clone. Not sure how much those decisions are him but it would be nice to know he isn’t just going to give us another wow clone with a gimmick that gets ignored that fails.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He did an ok job on eq2 but still left a game that was critically flawed from ability bloat among many other things.
In rift it was a good game but fell into the trap of having ultra hard ddr raid content and started to ignore its rifts and pvp. All in all it was a bad wow clone. Not sure how much those decisions are him but it would be nice to know he isn’t just going to give us another wow clone with a gimmick that gets ignored that fails.
A lot of MMO's in that time frame were WoW clones. Some parts of Rift I believe were straight rips. Like the Warrior tree had almost the same exact abilities and it was hilarious. But they had a lot of innovation too. Chloromancer as the best example I can think of, but more etc. I had more fun leveling in that game than I did in say.. Wildstar or something. But you're right, they really dropped the ball on Rifts.. which, bro.. thats the name of your game?...