World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, you could give WoW players free blow jobs by Scarlett Johansson every time they log in and they would complain it's not fun enough.
How hard can it be to explain to players what is planned, and what the intentions behind some of the systems are? Why have a fucking beta of all things when you every feedback is invalidated with "you don't see the whole picture!"

They don't have to do Live Letters like FFXIV, but some form of communication would be nice. Instead we get radio silence and then - surprise - patch is in two weeks. Same with TBC pre-patch: surprise, you have two weeks to level your blood elf/draenei. "Don't you guys have community managers?" Oh, you fired some of them. How ... unfortunate.

Also, patch 9.1 looks more like some systems (they invested so much development time in) are forced to succeed. At least in their internal "player participation" metrics. Can't admit that they fucked up Torghast 9.0 and players only went there because they were forced to for their legendaries, and never entered that shithole again afterwards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Can't admit that they fucked up Torghast 9.0 and players only went there because they were forced to for their legendaries, and never entered that shithole again afterwards.
Yea. That one feature might have been the only thing that drew me back to WoW after a year and a half of a hard no to BFA and goodbye to my guild.

Then I saw how it was shaping up, and was concerned. So I said, let's wait until launch, fuck those preorders.

Then I saw how it was launched, and waited to see if it would be unfucked.

Then I decided I was finally done with WoW. The modern iteration of Blizzard is never going to put back WoW in my "want to play" sphere, ever again.

They can't achieve fun, so all that's left is mandated participation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

They don't have to do Live Letters like FFXIV, but some form of communication would be nice. Instead we get radio silence and then - surprise - patch is in two weeks. Same with TBC pre-patch: surprise, you have two weeks to level your blood elf/draenei. "Don't you guys have community managers?" Oh, you fired some of them. How ... unfortunate.

Jeff (and now Aaron) having the videos where they discuss changes and why they decided to make those changes was a good model even if they dont do a Live Letter style thing. Live Letters are nice, though, because they serve to both hype up new upcoming things and also explain changes that might happen.

I'm actually curious to see how SE might handle an inevitable "level squish" like WoW did. They're already having to do a stat squish like WoW did with the upcoming xpac.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I'm actually curious to see how SE might handle an inevitable "level squish" like WoW did.
I don't think they could ever make a "level squish", because the MSQ and other unlocks are mostly tied to levels. They would have to either revamp ARR content heavily, or make it optional to go through the expansions in a non-linear way, a bit like Chromie Time. Which would kind of defeat the purpose of having a story-focused game in the first place.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jeff (and now Aaron) having the videos where they discuss changes and why they decided to make those changes was a good model even if they dont do a Live Letter style thing. Live Letters are nice, though, because they serve to both hype up new upcoming things and also explain changes that might happen.

I'm actually curious to see how SE might handle an inevitable "level squish" like WoW did. They're already having to do a stat squish like WoW did with the upcoming xpac.
They are hinting something is happening with the next expansion being the final chapter of the story in the base expansion content.

They could start a new MSQ independent of the old one perhaps starting at lv1 for newbies. With class switching they could just release four new classes and everyone could start at lv1 and have things to do.

FF11 just capped at lv99 right?

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Is Ion considered a source of the issues with WOW currently or is that more on executives?
Ion is absolutely, 100% the biggest problem with the game. I could rant for hours about how awful he is and how much of a piece of shit person he is. He detests the WoW playerbase, he resents them for being the reason he matters, and he thinks we're all too stupid to understand what a good MMO is. He thinks if he can just force us to play the way "he knows best" we'll eventually "get it" and see things his way. It's the whole 'you think you do, but you don't' mentality, but it's way worse than Jay.

• 2Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
To be fair, you could give WoW players free blow jobs by Scarlett Johansson every time they log in and they would complain it's not fun enough.

Seriously... those whiny, entitled brats. If only they would learn to have fun the right way!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ahh, so that's what he meant that we will truly appreciate the system once we see everything:

9.0: Let's craft the legendaries with the biggest stat budget when possible.
9.1: Want some Domination sockets? They're on the items with the biggest stat budget, so you chose wrong for your legendaries! Time to recraft!

(saw the title, thought it was hyperbole, turns out its not too much of one)

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
and he thinks we're all too stupid to understand what a good MMO is
Ion probably never played UO or EverQuest. He comes from a high end raiding background as a player, and those that craved that "challenge".

His claim to fame is proving mathematically that the unnerfed, vanilla C'thun is unkillable. Kevin Jordan remarked on his streams "was that really so?" Blizzard probably nerfed C'thun anyway, because you can't have players run against a wall without figuring the fight out, when they have a 15 minute corpse run for every attempt. This is how his legend was born, and how people think that he knows what he is doing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ahh, so that's what he meant that we will truly appreciate the system once we see everything:

9.0: Let's craft the legendaries with the biggest stat budget when possible.
9.1: Want some Domination sockets? They're on the items with the biggest stat budget, so you chose wrong for your legendaries! Time to recraft!

(saw the title, thought it was hyperbole, turns out its not too much of one)

I posted in class discord the other day part of the 9.1 content is legendary re-crafting and re-farming ash. just as a meme.

Of course, it's actually a major part of the content.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol I'm literally pissing myself laughing. Genuine laughing out loud at the above. Balls of steel. Blizzard is not this dumb. Their active strategy is legit to just hinder the player as much as possible. It's so funny. They really don't give a single fuck. god I want wow to crash to 500k subs so bad for the just desserts Ian and his lackeys deserve.

• 2Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously... those whiny, entitled brats. If only they would learn to have fun the right way!
*Shrug* If people aren't having fun don't play. The worst part of WoW is the rampant toxicity bred by the player base. Every joe nobody in a PUG thinks they are the same level as Limit or Echo or whatever.

• 1Moron
  • 1Seriously?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I feel like people aren’t having and aren’t playing. That’s why subs are trending to the dumpster and all the social media on the game is negative even from those whose livelihood depends on WoW’s success.

Every game develops an elitist attitude, but right now their biggest issues are boring and shitty design.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like people aren’t having and aren’t playing. That’s why subs are trending to the dumpster and all the social media on the game is negative even from those whose livelihood depends on WoW’s success.

Every game develops an elitist attitude, but right now their biggest issues are boring and shitty design.

Agree I've never seen the influencers openly trash the game. There is no coming back, ever.

Once you open that door, it's open. Blizzard sub numbers will never be the same.

Moving 9.1 to June was an attempt to quell the influencers. It didn't work, and the toxicity is still going. Asmongold kicked a lot of this into high gear with his letter.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All the truly creative people at Blizzard are gone. All that is left are the Elitist Jerks types at the helm, and they aren't a very creative bunch.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Like Disney or any major corporation, Activision has a social media tracker.

I'd love to see their comparison chart on FFXIV against Shadowlands. The trends must be horrificly bad to rush 9.1 out without any content besides one M+ dungeon and re-crafted 9.0 legendaries.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Like Disney or any major corporation, Activision has a social media tracker.

I'd love to see their comparison chart on FFXIV against Shadowlands. The trends must be horrificly bad to rush 9.1 out without any content besides one M+ dungeon and re-crafted 9.0 legendaries.
Granted, I've still got the new car smell, but my first 45 levels in FFXIV has been a breath of fresh air compared to BFA and the design of FFXIV is firmly stuck in this weird mix of Vanilla fetching shit and legion class stories that can be a mess at times. Yet...its fun.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like